Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What cause ISN'T financially connected at some level. The NRA is...so who cares if these students started getting donations to carry on their mission. Yeah, more than just the NRA can play that game - more power to them - the NRA may have met their match.
+1!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I honestly do not care what some high school students think about anything. They have zero experience and being a victim of something does not make someone now an expert in solving an issue. They are about the last group of people I would listen to regarding the complexities of security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Strange. That's exactly how I dressed in high school and college.

And yet here I am, an entitled millennial who has done his fair share of political activism, responding to your incredibly narrow and idiotic comment from my office in downtown LA.

You dressed like that when you were doing something important, say, posing on a cover of a magazine discussing political/controversial subjects? Or would you have been a bit more mature and dressed appropriately, especially since you want people to take you seriously?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What have they accomplished to make schools safer?

List all the actions point by point.
They have also persuaded Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to call for Congressionai hearings. Their meeting with President Trump resulted in him requesting that the Justice Department put limits on bump stocks and order stricter background checks. Keep in mind this shooting happened on February 14, less than six weeks ago!

We need to be realistic that it will take more time to get action and real results. None of this happens without the Parkland students' efforts. Their courage and actions should be an inspiration to everyone.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-23-2018 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I honestly do not care what some high school students think about anything. They have zero experience and being a victim of something does not make someone now an expert in solving an issue. They are about the last group of people I would listen to regarding the complexities of security.

You dressed like that when you were doing something important, say, posing on a cover of a magazine discussing political/controversial subjects? Or would you have been a bit more mature and dressed appropriately, especially since you want people to take you seriously?
If older adults had done their job, they could just be students doing their studies/homework, athletic & social events and enjoying life. We gave them no choice IMO. This was the last resort. We need to support them and be part of the solution, not part of the problem. I definitely think if a gunman came into your home, office, church, retail store you were shopping at, etc, and shot people there, that you would have the absolute right to get involved. Please show them the same respect.

In their town hall meetings, they have included experts, politicians, law enforcement officers and others. They even allowed an NRA spokeswoman to participate! The cynics are the last people I would listen to seriously regarding this issue.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-23-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Personal responsibility. Can't afford kids? Don't have them. If you can't support your family, why should the taxpayers have to do it? I put off having children because I couldn't give them an upper-middle class life that I wanted for them. Irks me to no end that people who can't provide for their own family get money redistributed from responsible people like myself.
Oh that's a great idea which unfortunately flies in the face of human behavior. At least everything I've studied about it.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Making a big deal about how these kids dress is really petty. Is that really the argument here? Why not drop it already.

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-24-2018 at 01:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 05:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
They have also persuaded Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to call for Congressionai hearings. Their meeting with President Trump resulted in him requesting that the Justice Department put limits on bump stocks and order stricter background checks. Keep in mind this shooting happened on February 14, less than six weeks ago!

We need to be realistic that it will take more time to get action and real results. None of this happens without the Parkland students' efforts. Their courage and actions should be an inspiration to everyone.
You really believe that a bunch of kids is able to get meetings with THESE people .. just because ???

Gullible. Seriously gullible. Congressman can't even get meetings with these people.

Let's not let any crisis go to waste, film it, make-up in, cameras ready? GO!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 AM

to whomever said this thread is not about Chicago:

Which would be better for the US gun violence issue:

1. These kids going to Dubai or Israel?
2. Or go to Chicago and address gun violence there? 450+ people SHOT this YEAR ALREADY

Do they only go where they are paid to go? Is that why they haven't been to Chicago? Why haven't't they demanded to talk to Emanuel? Surely since they've talked to the president they have the strings to pull to talk to a lowly mayor.

If these kids are such a wonderful political activists for gun control .. why don;t hey go to places in the US where gun violence is HIGH?

But that would make sense right? If they really REALLY cared about gun violence? Isn't that what they've been blabbing about for weeks?

Old 03-24-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If older adults had done their job, they could just be students doing their studies/homework, athletic & social events and enjoying life. We gave them no choice IMO. This was the last resort. We need to support them and be part of the solution, not part of the problem. I definitely think if a gunman came into your home, office, church, retail store you were shopping at, etc, and shot people there, that you would have the absolute right to get involved. Please show them the same respect.

In their town hall meetings, they have included experts, politicians, law enforcement officers and others. They even allowed an NRA spokeswoman to participate! The cynics are the last people I would listen to seriously regarding this issue.
You fully believe a bunch of 16 y olds are setting all these meetings up?

Call me, I've got some beautiful land in the Everglades for you. I'll even throw in a bridge.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
There are two good things that can come out of this (that I can think of).

First, banning AR-15s and the like.

Second, a turnaround in youth culture as it currently relates to bullying and casual violence. Bullying has been around forever but social media have magnified its malevolence. The kids can change it by changing their attitudes. Same for looking the other way and accepting violence as a solution to grievances.

If the kids can actually accomplish these they will have made history and will go down with the Baby Boomers as truly transformative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates