Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM

35,053 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Do they personally receive pay or are some of their expenses (travel to DC, to townhalls, etc) reimbursed by supporters? I believe it is the latter. Almost immediately after the shooting, the students started their movement to make schools safer. It is most definitely student led. They could have been in long term trauma recovery after the shooting and almost everyone would have understood, but they chose to be courageous, think about and act on behalf of students everywhere in the USA.

A staunch Republican Florida governor, Rick Scott, recently signed a gun control bill. That would have been unthinkable before the Parkland survivors started their movement!

Calling out nonsense on the meek attempt/fail to discredit their sincere efforts. Kudos to them!
In the case of the Parkland students it may well be student-led. But I have my doubts if anyone has educated them to the fact that the kinds of people that would commit this violence would find another way to do it. See Cruz & Condit, Austin & Parkland, Common Thread; Hint, Not Guns!. Conditt is the Austin bomber if you remember. He had a very similar troubled past to Cruz and it also ended in a massacre.

Also at the risk of "blaming the victim" in the case of Parkland, Columbine and others the student body or at least some students therein, at ages of 16+ should have had the maturity to know that the attackers were in psychological difficulty. I would not expect the same of the butchered at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Time magazine. A completely unbiased and neutral leaning publication.

These kids don't know what's really going on any more than I did at 18, God love them.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Pro-gun folks show up to vote too. I’ll remain skeptic about kids all of a sudden caring about politics when I see substantial gun laws in place as a result. Until then, we’re all just sadly waiting for the next shooting and the rallies are just empty gestures.
It won't change overnight, but it will change. Public opinion about semi-automatic weapons with high capacity magazines is already changing, look at the number of stores that quit selling them and now, youtube is banning several categories of gun videos.

I'm thinking that over the next 5-10 years, those particular guns will be about as popular as cigarettes are now- and the change in the way people view smoking (and smokers) didn't even require legislation.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In the case of the Parkland students it may well be student-led. But I have my doubts if anyone has educated them to the fact that the kinds of people that would commit this violence would find another way to do it. See Cruz & Condit, Austin & Parkland, Common Thread; Hint, Not Guns!. Conditt is the Austin bomber if you remember. He had a very similar troubled past to Cruz and it also ended in a massacre.

Also at the risk of "blaming the victim" in the case of Parkland, Columbine and others the student body or at least some students therein, at ages of 16+ should have had the maturity to know that the attackers were in psychological difficulty. I would not expect the same of the butchered at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
We can't fix mental illness, there's no magic pill or therapy that will remedy what's wrong with most psychopaths, that's just a silly NRA argument. But we can limit the sale of semi-automatic weapons with high capacity magazines. As far as finding another way to do it..sure I guess they could try to make bombs but I don't think most would; I think there is something very exciting about guns to some mentally disturbed individuals.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:20 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Those kids were speaking from their heart, you don't have to acknowledge that if you choose not to, but at least afford them a little respect by avoiding going down the rabbit hole with some theory like this ^
If these "kids" want to be treated as adults and participate in adult politics, then we can no longer grant them "unassailable victim status" shout down anybody who points out the organizational backing and millions of dollars from Michael Bloomberg and others with a long-term agenda.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If these "kids" want to be treated as adults and participate in adult politics, then we can no longer grant them "unassailable victim status" shout down anybody who points out the organizational backing and millions of dollars from Michael Bloomberg and others with a long-term agenda.
I really doubt if they solicited money from anyone. You can't turn this on it's head and try to denigrate the message of these students, it won't work. And guess what a good number of them are 18 which means they are adults doesn't it?

And they aren't asking you to grant them anything they are just asking you to get out of the way.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post David Hogg: "Here's a script..."

Quote:
Quote:
That's because the ones up on the stage are on-script.
Those kids were speaking from their heart, you don't have to acknowledge that if you choose not to, but at least afford them a little respect by avoiding going down the rabbit hole with some theory like this ^
David Hogg posts "Everytown's" script for his followers to use:

Don't take my word for it, check twitter yourself: twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/972666986319753216

Quote:
I really doubt if they solicited money from anyone. You can't turn this on it's head and try to denigrate the message of these students, it won't work. And guess what a good number of them are 18 which means they are adults doesn't it? And they aren't asking you to grant them anything they are just asking you to get out of the way.
You're the one who called them "kids", see above.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-24-2018 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: You're the one who called them "kids".

Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What rights are they standing up for?
What specific laws are they looking to change?
Could any one of them recite their state's regulations regarding purchase, possession and regulation of guns?
Could any one of them express SPECIFICALLY what laws need to be updated, why it needs to be updated and what SPECIFICALLY needs to be changed?

Nope. None of them.

Just ... guns bad .... more laws ... more laws ... oh and more laws. And let's cut class because a national political organization is using CHILDREN to forward its own personal agenda at the national level, using an emotionally devastating event as manipulation. Yeah, that's the ticket. That makes sense ... more laws .. because why .. they told us we need them ... let's all cut class. Yeah, if we all cut class and wave signs .. that'll change everything.

Oh and yes let's go to DUBAI and ISRAEL -- yes Parkland teens went to BOTH countries -- to talk about US gun laws. Because diplomats love to talk to teenagers when seeking political advice ... for a different country???
These kids know all about the gun laws and have gotten a change in FL, their state. Guess you haven’t been watching the news. Oh, and it’s wrong for children to advocate, but OK for them to be shot at school?

A law that a person had to be 21 to buy an assault rifle would have prevented Nikolas Cruz from buying that gun and killing 17 people.

Exactly what “national political organization” are you talking about?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Time magazine. A completely unbiased and neutral leaning publication.

These kids don't know what's really going on any more than I did at 18, God love them.
Speak for yourself. I was fully aware of issues at 18 and understood the political dynamics and consequences.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
David Hogg posts "Everytown's" script for his followers to use:

Don't take my word for it, check twitter yourself: twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/972666986319753216
You're the one who called them "kids", see above.
What nonsense, he wrote that for people to call their congressional reps. That is normal for any organized event, want me to go find a few that the NRA has sent out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates