Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Short thread with not all but lots of fear going on here. Fear is nothing but a refelection on your own character. The scary people are you.

Afraid the game is now going to change and not to the benefit of the NRA? Did you see 60 minutes? They call themselves the Mass Shooting generation, cause most were born around the time of columbine. And this is all they know. Week in week out.

Dubai and Israel PAID their way for them to speak. These countries think they have something to offer.

Why not the outrage over the terrorist threat made by the NRA commercial. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F&&FORM=VRDGAR

This is part of the next generation, better get used to them. They are making us older ones be accountable.

Trust me they are getting an education much more valuable than what many seniors in high school get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Prove it.

A mass school shooting every week for decades?

Let's see them ALL. Post them.

Israel has the tightest security in the WORLD. Yet they need to talk to a bunch of rich teens for what??? Tips on security??? What to wear to prom?? What??
Do you not get that foundapeanut is talking about the FEAR of mass shootings week in and week out, not an ACTUAL shooting every week. Get a grip man! Personally I don't need one every week to be concerned...is THAT your tipping point?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:57 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I am astonished and how a lot of people are reacting negatively to teens who are exercising their right to protest. These teens survived a school shooting! I couldn't imagine anything more horrifying. . . This school shooting isn't a one-off thing either. There have literally been dozens of school shootings and there is no doubt in my mind they will continue. They are standing up to this insane gun culture we have in the US and I am in full support!

I think they are brave, courageous and I pray that their voices are heard.
Why anyone would be against stricter gun control is beyond me.... Mind you, once you're the victim of gun violence you will quickly change your tune. Nowhere is safe... churches, schools, movie theaters, concerts, malls, night clubs.... literally nowhere. Why do we have to live in fear of mass shootings when we can implement stricter gun control?

Some of these idiotic comments from posters who are judging their "ripped" jeans are ridiculous. Your right to own a gun does not trump my right to live my life without the threat of violence from a psycho who wants to shoot up a crowd of people.. .

I hope these Parkland teens are relentless in their pursuit of gun control and I will be voting along with them.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default $34 Million to safety training"and related programs, that's the annual grants funded by the NRA Foundation

Bloomberg's "Everytown" has "donors" (not voting members, and most of the orgs money comes from him). The NRA proper has "members" (who pay non-tax-deductible dues), but separately solicits donors for both charitable and lobbying activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's how the NRA spent their money..much of which is 'dark money'. Not quite the same organization that used to teach gun safety to teens is it?
NRA Foundation grants awarded to qualified programs from this 501(c)3 gave away nearly $34 million in 2016, mostly in support of safety and training programs. The average NRA Foundation grant award is approximately $5,000; all funds distributed must be used to further a charitable purpose, much of the grants go to purchase or upgrade safety equipment.

Friends of NRA alone raises about $30 million a year in donations for the Foundation, mostly through the efforts of 13,000 unpaid volunteers.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you not get that foundapeanut is talking about the FEAR of mass shootings week in and week out, not an ACTUAL shooting every week. Get a grip man! Personally I don't need one every week to be concerned...is THAT your tipping point?

You think being terrified of something that has a less then half a percent chance of happening makes it somehow more threatening?

Hint: IT DOESN'T

Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I am astonished and how a lot of people are reacting negatively to teens who are exercising their right to protest. These teens survived a school shooting! I couldn't imagine anything more horrifying. . . This school shooting isn't a one-off thing either. There have literally been dozens of school shootings and there is no doubt in my mind they will continue. They are standing up to this insane gun culture we have in the US and I am in full support!

I think they are brave, courageous and I pray that their voices are heard.
Why anyone would be against stricter gun control is beyond me.... Mind you, once you're the victim of gun violence you will quickly change your tune. Nowhere is safe... churches, schools, movie theaters, concerts, malls, night clubs.... literally nowhere. Why do we have to live in fear of mass shootings when we can implement stricter gun control?

Some of these idiotic comments from posters who are judging their "ripped" jeans are ridiculous. Your right to own a gun does not trump my right to live my life without the threat of violence from a psycho who wants to shoot up a crowd of people.. .

I hope these Parkland teens are relentless in their pursuit of gun control and I will be voting along with them.
They are being used as pawns in a game of emotional manipulation, funded by political organizations.

Not one has used any facts regarding current legislation.

Not one has used any facts regarding mental health care or treatment.

So, no, I cannot take any of them seriously.

And the fact that they were able to *spontaneously* /sarcasm/ organize so insanely quickly, getting audience with the president, sec of education, governor, as well as travel to Dubai and Israel, 1 nationwide walkout day and another nationwide march ....

Shows 1,000,000 percent that they are being USED by political groups with deep pockets, deep connections, and solid gold marketing and pr departments to orchestrate this entire *movement.*

They didn't start anything.

But they are being used as pawns. Anyone who can think critically knows that.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 AM

In the years 2016-2017, information compiled by radio show personality Michael Medved and producer Greg Tomlin shows, at K-12 schools in America, of the 51 million students enrolled, there were seven children killed. Seventeen were killed at Stoneman Douglas. Meanwhile, in our nation, there are an average of over 3,470 suicide attempts by young people grades 9-12. According to the CDC, suicide is the SECOND leading cause of death for ages 10-24. and the SECOND leading cause of death for college-age youth and ages 12-18. There are 25 attempted suicides to one completed suicide among teenagers. In November 2017, 11 year-old Toni Rivers of South Carolina shot and killed herself after being bullied at school despite her mother’s attempt to inform the school months before. The school did nothing. In May 2017, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Francisco found that the number of children and adolescents admitted to children’s hospitals for thoughts of suicide or self-harm more than doubled during the last decade. Smartphones. Social media. Sleep deprivation and an overwhelming desire to belong and not be left out coupled with passive-aggressive remarks from “friends” and veiled threats on texts, Instagram, Snap-Chat, Musical.ly and whatever the hot social media app of the moment is.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Bloomberg's "Everytown" has "donors" (not voting members, and most of the orgs money comes from him). The NRA proper has "members" (who pay non-tax-deductible dues), but separately solicits donors for both charitable and lobbying activities.

NRA Foundation grants awarded to qualified programs from this 501(c)3 gave away nearly $34 million in 2016, mostly in support of safety and training programs. The average NRA Foundation grant award is approximately $5,000; all funds distributed must be used to further a charitable purpose, much of the grants go to purchase or upgrade safety equipment.

Friends of NRA alone raises about $30 million a year in donations for the Foundation, mostly through the efforts of 13,000 unpaid volunteers.
Why quote my post and leave this out? Maybe just an oversight or maybe you don't want people to see how much the NRA spends buying politicians

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/sum...082&cycle=2016

Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
"Survivors". How many students went to that school? Aren't they all "survivors"?

Again, how sad the TRUE survivors (not just those somewhere in the building) and the victims families aren't on the cover.

My thoughts exactly. Words mean things, and the misuse of words is part and parcel of the subtle (and not-so-subtle) propaganda that we're being fed. If someone at Parkland was hit by a bullet but didn't die, they are a survivor. If someone was in the same room as others who were hit by bullets and died, but they were not, I'd credit them as being survivors as well. But claiming that everyone in the school, even those who were never in the line of sight of the gunman, are "survivors" is to dilute the meaning of the word.

Heck, I live in the same country as these folks. Am I a survivor too?

Old 03-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
In the years 2016-2017, information compiled by radio show personality Michael Medved and producer Greg Tomlin shows, at K-12 schools in America, of the 51 million students enrolled, there were seven children killed. Seventeen were killed at Stoneman Douglas. Meanwhile, in our nation, there are an average of over 3,470 suicide attempts by young people grades 9-12. According to the CDC, suicide is the SECOND leading cause of death for ages 10-24. and the SECOND leading cause of death for college-age youth and ages 12-18. There are 25 attempted suicides to one completed suicide among teenagers. In November 2017, 11 year-old Toni Rivers of South Carolina shot and killed herself after being bullied at school despite her mother’s attempt to inform the school months before. The school did nothing. In May 2017, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Francisco found that the number of children and adolescents admitted to children’s hospitals for thoughts of suicide or self-harm more than doubled during the last decade. Smartphones. Social media. Sleep deprivation and an overwhelming desire to belong and not be left out coupled with passive-aggressive remarks from “friends” and veiled threats on texts, Instagram, Snap-Chat, Musical.ly and whatever the hot social media app of the moment is.
And how many died in mass shootings if you don't only count school shootings?

"Sunday’s shooting at First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, Texas, which killed 26 people, raised the total of victims lost in mass killings this year to 208, according to USA TODAY data. The runner-up: 2016, which saw 188 people lost in such attacks. " https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ade/836738001/

The problem with people like Michael Medved is that they cherry pick facts, it's analogous to saying that only two people a year die in a green bathtub and failing to mention that nearly 100 people die in bathtubs every year.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
They are being used as pawns in a game of emotional manipulation, funded by political organizations.
Not one has used any facts regarding current legislation.
Not one has used any facts regarding mental health care or treatment.
So, no, I cannot take any of them seriously.
And the fact that they were able to *spontaneously* /sarcasm/ organize so insanely quickly, getting audience with the president, sec of education, governor, as well as travel to Dubai and Israel, 1 nationwide walkout day and another nationwide march ....
Shows 1,000,000 percent that they are being USED by political groups with deep pockets, deep connections, and solid gold marketing and pr departments to orchestrate this entire *movement.*
They didn't start anything.
But they are being used as pawns. Anyone who can think critically knows that.
How do you expect people to take you seriously? You post a bunch of undocumented claims and think that people will just accept them as fact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates