Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 12:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don't have to come come from Mexico (I'm not talking about the guns you are, which are rarely used in mass shootings, but simple assault weapons, the kind used commonly in mass shootings). On the east coast, most of them come from gun shows in Virginia where all it takes is money and no background checks. In Chicago, they come from gun shows in Indiana, which has the same lax laws. It's probably harder to buy a gun in Mexico than it is here.
We are not talking about illegal street weapons on this thread, which is about mass shootings, most of which were accomplished with legally obtained weapons. It is not about the weapon's origin, but about their use in mass shootings, and by whom. Most people who buy weapons at gun shows (or obtain them illegally) do not commit mass shootings.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:13 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
We are not talking about illegal street weapons on this thread, which is about mass shootings, most of which were accomplished with legally obtained weapons. It is not about the weapon's origin, but about their use in mass shootings, and by whom. Most people who buy weapons at gun shows (or obtain them illegally) do not commit mass shootings.
I was simply addressing the poster who claimed the guns used were being brought over from Mexico by drug lords.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
I was simply addressing the poster who claimed the guns used were being brought over from Mexico by drug lords.
True, my bad. My point is that although guns are used in mass shootings, it takes a human to accomplish one. The NRA is not wrong in saying "people kill people, not guns." We need to focus on the mass shooting killers and what drives them to commit these heinous deeds.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 PM

10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A LEGALLY obtained full auto used in a crime is rare (big difference).Thats to be expected, as the people that go thru the hassle of getting the right licensure and permits to own a LEGAL full auto, are not likely to use them in crimes, ILLEGALLY obtained full autos is a different ball game.

There are incidents where they are used, Ive mentioned before about a couple shootings that happened in Cincinnati last year, full auto AK47s were used, (it was illegal) and gang/drug-related.
Can you link to info about those incidents, or post some details so that I can find them?

Quote:
There have also been a number of large drug busts made around here, and police put all the drugs, guns and cash they recover on a table to show the media, there were numerous machine guns involved.
Yeah, I’ve seen those photo ops where guns, cash, and drugs are spread out on a table. Machine guns? Almost never.

Quote:
Im curious though, why you would think these guys would have any problem smuggling guns into the country, when they are able to smuggle drugs in all the time?
How did you conclude that that’s my belief? Certainly not based on anything I’ve posted.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
They don't have to come come from Mexico (I'm not talking about the guns you are, which are rarely used in mass shootings, but simple assault weapons, the kind used commonly in mass shootings). On the east coast, most of them come from gun shows in Virginia where all it takes is money and no background checks. In Chicago, they come from gun shows in Indiana, which has the same lax laws. It's probably harder to buy a gun in Mexico than it is here.
Stop with the disinformation. The laws governing sales at gun shows are exactly the same as they are anywhere else. There is no gun show loophole.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Stop with the disinformation. The laws governing sales at gun shows are exactly the same as they are anywhere else. There is no gun show loophole.
https://wsbt.com/news/local/atf-guns...illinois-crime

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ind.../amp/816399001

Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Can you link to info about those incidents, or post some details so that I can find them?

Yeah, I’ve seen those photo ops where guns, cash, and drugs are spread out on a table. Machine guns? Almost never.

How did you conclude that that’s my belief? Certainly not based on anything I’ve posted.
This is one of them (involving an SKS-AK47)...

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-still-missing

Old 10-27-2019, 02:45 PM

My statement stands correct as written. Notwithstanding the incorrect information included in your posted links, there is no state, Indiana included, where the laws governing gun sales at gun shows are less stringent than federal law. ALL federal and state gun sale laws must be followed at gun shows.

Again, stop with the disinformation. You are 100% wrong about this.

If you disagree, as I'm sure you will, please post any state or Federal gun sale law that DOESN'T have to be followed at a gun show. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is one of them (involving an SKS-AK47)...

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-still-missing
No, it's not.

First of all, an "SKS-AK47" isn't a weapon. The stupid reporter combined two separate guns into one. An SKS is a gun. An AK47 is a gun. An "SKS-AK47" isn't a gun. The idiot reporter didn't know that, and neither did you.

The problem that many face is that "AK47" can refer to both the semi auto version, and the full auto version, and those that are ignorant about firearms easily confuse the two. Rest assured that if a full auto weapon is used in a crime, it will be clearly stated in the news reports. See the North Hollywood shootout as an example.

It's a near certainty that the referenced weapon in your link is NOT a full auto weapon. Given that "SKS" was noted, the most likely situation is that the weapon is in fact an SKS, and a reporter added a bit of sensationalism, as to the uninitiated, there is a bit of a similarity in the appearance of an SKS and an AK47.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My statement stands correct as written. Notwithstanding the incorrect information included in your posted links, there is no state, Indiana included, where the laws governing gun sales at gun shows are less stringent than federal law. ALL federal and state gun sale laws must be followed at gun shows.

Again, stop with the disinformation. You are 100% wrong about this.

If you disagree, as I'm sure you will, please post any state or Federal gun sale law that DOESN'T have to be followed at a gun show. Good luck.
Ok then they are private sales. Does it make that much difference? It certainly doesn’t to Chicagoans getting shot with Indiana guns. . Either way it is probably easier to get guns in Indiana than it is in Mexico. There’s no need to smuggle them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates