Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times

Advertisements

I would definitely suggest a title search in protecting property. Having an attorney and a good survey also helps.

Life Insurance also helps protect property.

Income, net worth and/or a good job is definitely key to paying taxes and therefore protecting your property. They WILL come and take it from you if you don't do those things.

I could go on, but life and financial advice doesn't always come free. You just get a taste here but I will do Life Coaching for additional fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
At the same time, I would like to present the alternative view. No store owner wants to shoot someone in their store...nobody wants to kill someone over a bag of candy or a toy. A few psychotic exceptions no doubt truly exist, but if nothing else it's bad for business.

What happens if someone is bullying your employees? They are repeatedly coming in, taking what they want and they know they'll get away with it. You tell them to stop, you get threats and they become more emboldened. You worry if they're going to bug your real customers. The police don't have time to do a sting operation on chronic low level crime.

If you hurt them or restrain them, they'll sue you and possibly come back in a bigger group. Somehow they'll come up with money for a lawsuit and your insurance company will settle.

Do you let them rob you in perpetuity? How do you solve the problem?
is your only option, legal and otherwise, to shoot this person? What states/areas of the country are these people in?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
If they are running away they are no longer a threat, at which point you can not use a gun to try and stop them.
Depends on what state you are in. As per my previous quote of Texas laws:

Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post51539029 page 9 post51539029

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY.
(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-11-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure I agree with killing someone over money, even if they are attempting to steal it, its currency, NO amount is equal to a human life, ultimately it can all be replaced....at least thats what we were taught
It's the principle of the matter. Money moves this world, people bust their azz for it in many ways and losing enough of it can break a person. You work your life for it, they can sure lose theirs for taking it. I don't know about you, but if I owned some moderately head above water business and say I had to... oooo.. uber or some other kinda hustle to go a bit beyond making ends meet. The money from my business went to keeping utilities on in not only it, but my $550 a month apartment, gas in my car, insurance on my car, health insurance(because I make too much for obamacare), whatever product I'm selling, chances are I'm renting othe store, child support(which I do pay IRL), groceries, cigarettes I smoke, earting out, gas for my car... you get the point. I'm supposed to let some ****-ant run up in my place and take the $800-$1500 I made that day and just call the cops and hope they catch him, knowing I might not get that money back? You're delusional. There's a reason most independant gas stations and food marts have enough cameras to watch their store and everything else around them and why most of them are packing. They have a lot more to lose than your thortons, circle k, or sheets.

No life is worth what's in the register, which means it's not worth losing over it either.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:55 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Let’s put it this way. If I owned a convenience store I would have signs on the door stating that the entire premise was on camera. Secondly, I would hire around the clock armed security to set behind the counter.

Now if all of this sounds expensive you would be correct. But I bet the frequency of robbery attempts at my store would be the lowest around. There is no way I would operate a store in a way that gave the advantage of violence to the punks.

I’ve often wondered why the cashier areas of these convenience stores wasn’t enclosed in bullet proof glass.
No it wouldn't, there are ways to snitch things from a store, used to do it as a kid, even in check out, when the line extended in to an aisle. There are few few around here independant and national chain that have lexan enclosures and magnetic locking doors, or simply use a walk up window after eleven pm. All that is expensive, though.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
If the person is threatening you with a lethal weapon, you have every right to defend yourself with equal and overwhelming force.
That’s generallly not a requirement for utilizing deadly force in self defense.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s generallly not a requirement for utilizing deadly force in self defense.
In the context of protecting property, that where my definition comes in. In the case of home invasion, you have the right to assume the person is coming to greatly harm or kill you.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
In the context of protecting property, that where my definition comes in. In the case of home invasion, you have the right to assume the person is coming to greatly harm or kill you.
Even when protecting property, that isn’t a requirement.

The legal standard for the use of deadly force nearly everywhere is that one “must be in imminent danger of death or grave bodily injury.” That doesn’t require that someone threatens you with a lethal weapon.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:13 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Even when protecting property, that isn’t a requirement.

The legal standard for the use of deadly force nearly everywhere is that one “must be in imminent danger of death or grave bodily injury.” That doesn’t require that someone threatens you with a lethal weapon.
The standard you just wrote says nothing about protecting property.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:19 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The standard you just wrote says nothing about protecting property.
In Texas, you can protect your property with less than deadly force, but if they respond to your defense of your property with any force at all, you can respond to that with deadly force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates