Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Excuuuuse

"And you were likely bigger and stronger than she."

BULL-SPIT. I am SICK of this card right here. So which is it, are women just as capable as men or are they weak and need coddling? WHICH IS IT!?
So, a 5'3" 120 lb man is just as likely to be able to win a fight against a 6'5" 260 lb man? Or is he "weak"?

No, he's just SMALLER

You're sick of people pointing out that SMALLER people have a harder time defending themselves against bigger people? Or are you just sick of hearing the truth, that men are a constant threat to women?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Because you never once felt in danger. You knew that woman and a gang of her friends were not going to wait for you after the concert to follow you down the street. you knew she wasn't going to drug your drink. You knew you were safe. Women always, always, always have to watch their backs and consider the worst case scenario when a men verbally or physically assaults her.

Women who defend themselves against even verbal abuse run the very real risk of angering the man and getting hurt. The Atwood quote is apropos and true.

Males, you KNOW ALL THIS. Stop pretending you don't. Hands, eyes, and voices to yourselves.
This plus 1000. I wonder if the little men on this thread defending these things actually do them. I also wonder what they think they are accomplishing by doing this. Maybe some women don’t mind but I believe most do. Personally I always thought men who catcalled, harassed etc. especially those who did it in groups were losers who couldn’t get attention from women in any other way.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not true. I would just wave at them and they'd move on. If any tried to pursue me I'd tell them I have a boyfriend and to have a nice day.
Exactly! I was going to respond by quote & say the very same thing!

It’s amazing how quickly a smile & a “Thank you!” can diffuse this behavior. They will go from Neanderthals to Gentlemen in mere seconds.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
99%? How do you come by that figure? When I was a young, attractive woman and got catcalled and had lewd remarks made at me by strangers I never felt safe. Nor did my friends. This has nothing to do with feminism, it has to do with respect for another person. I think you are very confused.
There was an interesting study of street harassment (in 2014)with data collected by Dr Beth Livingston and her graduate assistants at Cornell University. You may have seen it already. They collected information from over 16,600 women in 42 cities around the world. This was done in conjunction with hollaback! (I never know whether or not to post links.)

Last edited by Gusano; 05-29-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 02:54 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So, a 5'3" 120 lb man is just as likely to be able to win a fight against a 6'5" 260 lb man? Or is he "weak"?

No, he's just SMALLER

You're sick of people pointing out that SMALLER people have a harder time defending themselves against bigger people? Or are you just sick of hearing the truth, that men are a constant threat to women?
The truth is everybody is a constant threat to everybody and gender has little to do with that. Humanity sucks. Men, women, all of it. We all suck, we're all horrible, and nobody deserves anything. We're born, we suffer, we die, end of story. The truth is that eventually this whole stinking rock will be swallowed by the sun and nothing will ever, ever matter. None of it. None of the bad, none of the good. It's all worthless, and you're just as worthless as I am, your gender can't change that. That's the truth.

Nice cherry picking and misinterpretation of my comment, btw. Typical of your sort.

I'm guessing by your name and attitude that you're probably a man hating sexist, likely a woman, and also an insufferable jerk.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:25 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
[quote=tickyul;52029485]Pretty sure a disgusting, sexist wolf-whistle is a form of assault......880-bucks should also include
criminal-charges.[/QUOTE
Puh-lease!!!!!

Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Cat calls and wolf whistles used to be 'guys being guys,' i.e. the stereotypical construction worker when a pretty girl walks by. I got my share, and never felt afraid. In fact, I always took it as kinda funny and as a compliment. A little like flirting....if it was me and a couple of friends, we would do like the hubba hubba thing with a hand on our head....again...fun...no one was worried that anyone was going to come after them (which would be a different story)...What have we become as a society when a wolf whistle "offends?" Yea, you could say S.T.F.U. and be on your way. It's a wonder anyone even has sex anymore! jeez

Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In The Week magazine this week: With the passing of a new French law under which men can be fined up to $880 if they whistle at or make lewd comments to women on the streets.

What do you think about this? The fine is too high, too low, shouldn't even exist in the first place?

Now what if you purse your lips into a kiss at a woman in the streets? Or what if a female Lesbian whistles at another woman on the streets? Exempt because she's not a man?
Keep your whistles and lewd comments to yourself. Women aren't turned on by this behavior. Make it a cool $1000.

I say post the pics of these men and then have a bunch of gay men go and make lewd and suggestive comments to them. Doesn't feel so good when a big dude is commenting about your package, your kissable lips or your thick, hairy legs.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
The question isn't 'is cat-calling appropriate?'

The question is 'do your hurt feelings warrant criminal charges?'

Hurt feelings are not a crime. Harassment is, and it's already illegal.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Where does the $880 go, and who gets it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates