Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 02:12 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I should have said the opioid painkillers were the drugs that were most in demand on the street, or blackmarket, Ive seen many times when a single Oxycontin 80mg sold for $120+, this is well above retail prices!

From what Ive seen, this was nothing more than cutting out the competition, all those former pill addicts are now on heroin and giving their money to cartels and drug dealers. The pharma companies lost Billions on this.

Since opioid pain pills were basically outlawed, the drug cartels wealth has greatly increased.
Yes, and the people who suffer are those who truly need those meds for severe pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, and the people who suffer are those who truly need those meds for severe pain.
Yes, its really gotten to the point of being absurd. Doctors are so scared of giving patients drugs they need, and then you have quite a few people who actually applaud law enforcement, DEA, for what they do in fighting the opioid problem! What kind of world are they living in? LOL

Whats most scary to me, a large percentage of people actually think its a good thing DEA (govt) came between doctor and patient, they are now a major factor in what kind of care you will get, plus, if we cannot trust doctors to make good decisions about opioids, why would we turn around and trust them with other serious health decisions, like surgery? Doesnt make any sense to me.

I honestly think its at the point where doctors and patients should refuse to comply with DEA or nacro police, they should be treated like any other terrorist/criminal group.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:10 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I have smoked marihuana, and experimented with cocaine, orange barrel, window pane and psilocybin mushrooms, probably long before you were born.

I have arrested hundreds of drug dealers and others in possession of drugs like marihuana, hashish, heroin, cocaine, crack, crystal meth and others.
Found the criminal. I mean think about it, here you are talking about arresting people for things you have done. Things you "experimented" with.

Some of the posts here stun me sometimes.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Found the criminal. I mean think about it, here you are talking about arresting people for things you have done. Things you "experimented" with.

Some of the posts here stun me sometimes.
He comes from a time I remember. It's a culture war. He absolutely HATES anything to do with Hippies, the culture, the changing times, and anything counter culture. It justifies almost anything he does because of this strong, fundamental drive.

Just like when "Marihuana", as it was called back then, was first made illegal for racist reasons (among others) 80 years ago, it lives on to this day through people like him.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:32 PM

96 posts, read 93,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
He comes from a time I remember. It's a culture war. He absolutely HATES anything to do with Hippies, the culture, the changing times, and anything counter culture. It justifies almost anything he does because of this strong, fundamental drive.

Just like when "Marihuana", as it was called back then, was first made illegal for racist reasons (among others) 80 years ago, it lives on to this day through people like him.
Well said, Raddo. You are one of the few voices of reason on this topic and I appreciate all of your efforts in correcting the mistaken views that a lot of folks have, here and across the CD forum.

I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated populace that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs. According to the DEA, cannabis has no medical value and is more dangerous than methamphetamine, cocaine or even fentanyl. Note also that tobacco and alcohol, both far more dangerous than cannabis, are not even on the DEA drug schedule. Couple this with the fact that pharmaceutical companies pay lobbyists millions of dollars to keep cannabis classified as a Schedule 1 drug and then you might begin to understand why this is happening. Legal cannabis would eliminate so much of their revenue that they would do just about anything to stop it from ever being legalized. And there are also those that say rescheduling / decriminalization would cost millions of jobs in the Prisons for Profit, Law Enforcement, Judicial and Legal defense industries. But I suppose their justification is that in a vibrant and robust economy such as ours, we cannot jeopardize all we've built just to save some useless lives.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
I simply cannot fathom that in this era of advanced scientific knowledge, where the beneficial effects of cannabis have been proven time and again, that we have an uninformed / uneducated populace that cling to the idea that "weed" is just as dangerous as heroin, meth, crack cocaine, LSD, and other illicit drugs.
I want to address this part of your comment, because I completely understand it. There was a LOT of propaganda during the war on drugs. It was EXTREMELY effective, and as children your parents spent time talking to you about it as well. The people who tended to use marijuana were the people willing to ignore a law. And lets face it, those tend to often not be the best people. I for one did not try marijuana-not even once, when it was illegal. So I could not judge how good or bad it was. I just knew the law, and some facts about it. And what my parents told me, my school teachers, the police, and more. Pastors talked about it.

So remember-this is a lifetime of people telling you how bad it was. Of DARE, police coming to your school and telling you it was bad, teachers telling you, advertisements on TV, etc etc etc. Its hard to get past that.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
more proof that intelligent people make up their minds on their own, and dont just follow what the authorities feed them..
my parents never questioned anything the doctors told them to do, and both died due to negligence on their lazy, inefficient doctors mis diagnosis

people think what they want to think, and that will never change. After all, there are plenty of people who still think cigarette smoking doesnt cause lung cancer, its ok to drink and drive, and texting/distracted driving doesnt cause accidents

you'll never get a consensus on anything in our society at this point, and the safety of pot is just another one of those things that the mis informed will never accept.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes.

No, just marihuana.

Tenants constantly complained to the landlord they couldn't walk through the hallway without getting stoned, and the tenants on either side, and across the hall and directly upstairs constantly complained of the smell. The landlord came over one night, a week-night, got pissed off and call us. We came with a warrant and he let us in the apartment. The idiot was so stoned he fell down twice trying to get to the bathroom to flush his stink-weed. The place was a filthy pig-sty. We called social services and a social worker showed up to take the kids. We carted out four banker's boxes full of bongs and pipes. They literally had a bong or a pipe for every day of the month, and then some. They had bongs and pipes in the kitchen, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, in drawers in the bedroom furniture, and all over the living room, and two brown-paper grocery bags filled with stink-weed, so they got hit with trafficking charges, and not just a possession charge.

Yes, and it's a very sad thing.

There's a trial right now in Kenton County, Kentucky for a man that was drunk and stoned on marihuana. He passed a vehicle in a no-passing zone at a speed of 98 MPH (his car had a black-box) and smashed into a family of five, killing both parents and the three children instantly.

Trial underway for driver in crash that killed family of 5

Alcohol needs to be more strictly regulated, with much more severe penalties.

Well, hard-core druggies tend to do that.
Guy was drunk and fatigued not stoned. If he had been stoned not drunk it likely would never have happened. Got 20 years.
Prosecutors said Greis was legally drunk with a blood alcohol level of 0.089, had THC in his system, was fatigued and was trying to pass in a no-passing zone when he slammed his speeding Honda Pilot head-on into a Honda Accord driven by Rodney Pollitt Jr. on Staffordsburg Road.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I want to address this part of your comment, because I completely understand it. There was a LOT of propaganda during the war on drugs. It was EXTREMELY effective, and as children your parents spent time talking to you about it as well. The people who tended to use marijuana were the people willing to ignore a law. And lets face it, those tend to often not be the best people. I for one did not try marijuana-not even once, when it was illegal. So I could not judge how good or bad it was. I just knew the law, and some facts about it. And what my parents told me, my school teachers, the police, and more. Pastors talked about it.

So remember-this is a lifetime of people telling you how bad it was. Of DARE, police coming to your school and telling you it was bad, teachers telling you, advertisements on TV, etc etc etc. Its hard to get past that.
I understand what you're saying. There has indeed been a long time of demonizing the use of marijuana, especially from the early part of the last century.

But I also think times are changing and views in the US are quickly changing. According to Forbes (June 26, 2018):
"Nationally, polling shows that more than 90% of voters support medical cannabis, with roughly two-thirds backing recreational marijuana legalization."

The state of Oklahoma recently passed legalizing medical marijuana, making it the 30th state in the US to do so. And our neighbors to the north, Canada, just passed legalizing marijuana nationwide.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomange.../#6e23bf2e1374

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/healt...ana/index.html

Old 06-29-2018, 08:55 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anti-marijuana folks seem to point to this argument. But what do the studies say:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mar...up-in-smoke/2/

Interesting. So marijuana itself is not a gateway drug but rather those in high risk socioeconomic environments might use it as a gateway

I say we legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Like alcohol, it can be enjoyed responsibly.
Recent presentations that I attended make a clear argument that marijuana is not a gateway drug. People smoke pot, drink a beer, and have no desire to snort cocaine or shoot heroin. However, someone who smoked a joint and drank a beer would be more vulnerable to the suggestion to snort cocaine, just once, for fun.

As you say, it is the potholes, not the pot, that leads to hard drug use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates