Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:22 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times

Advertisements

I understand that nowadays obituaries are paid for by the surviving family so there is one reason.
But since doing some genealogical research I find it extremely informational to read newspaper obituaries and learn more about how people died. Not always possible to find death certificates. One of my great-greats near relatives committed suicide due to severe poor health and possible depression and the 1930's newspaper write-up was very specific about how and what occurred. No family member ever mentioned it.

I wonder if I can specify that my obit be honest about my death. I would have nothing to hide at that point.

Recently a local obit was very specific and I could tell the spouse and the deceased meant it that way. She died because (as they thought) a RX prescribed to the deceased caused "black spots to appear on her legs" and shortly thereafter infection which caused her death. That was very eye-opening and she was doing a public service for many others.

Maybe my Catholic upbringing makes me accept death more matter-of-factly.

When it's a person in the public eye we get a lot more information about their death if it is unexpected, lately it has been suicide.

I am not a morbid person, normal in curiosity but not too nosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
I think public sensitivity is a factor. We aren't the hardened realists that Americans were decades ago. Some of us are, but not enough of us.

On top of that the quality of news media has fallen into a deep and disturbing low for a long time now, along with the general attention span.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Some obituaries do imply the cause of death by including things like "The family requests that memorials be given to the Alzheimer's Association/Colon Cancer Awareness/American Heart Society/Etc." or specifically list "Mr. Smith passed away after a long term battle with XYZ disease."

Now, if I had listed in my late husband's obituary, "Mr. germaine2626 died due to fatal complications resulting from significant staff errors at the ABC nursing home, in My Town, Wisconsin." I would probably be facing numerous lawsuits. (IMHO, it is better to file a formal complaint with the state so that the facility is investigated and other families do not have to face the same loss. Now, that is the true public service.)

Old 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
They didn't before either - I have some from 1900 or so and they say "he went to his death as all men must" - at 42. This was a famous figure.

So the "any more" part of this assumption is incorrect.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I love to read obituaries and visit cemeteries - just VERY interested in history.

You're right, that most don't state cause of death. If the decedent is 93 years old, we don't really need to know. Complications from old age.

I'm curious about people who die before the age of 50, but I've come to realize it's none of my business although I am curious.

You're right, if you are a descendant, it would be very informative. I'm not sure the general public has the right to know, though.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Nowadays, when someone in their teens, 20's, 30's maybe even 40's dies, the family should at least say "died of natural causes", otherwise, many people will assume it was probably a drug overdose.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Nowadays, when someone in their teens, 20's, 30's maybe even 40's dies, the family should at least say "died of natural causes", otherwise, many people will assume it was probably a drug overdose.
You make a good point. Our minds do want answers and will often go the the simplest explanation even if it's not fair to the deceased or their family.

Survivors writing the obit don't have the experience a newspaper writer would have to hint at the cause and give people a clue.

I think that's one reason people clam up about talking about someone who died under age 80, afraid to say something because they don't really know what happened and gossipy people make stuff up.
My brother wrote a fantastic obit for our father detailing some of his life's highlights but didn't list cause of death (78 y. o.) because there were so many things wrong at that point, Parkinson's, heart failure, etc. At that age people don't really ask questions.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Some obituaries do imply the cause of death by including things like "The family requests that memorials be given to the Alzheimer's Association/Colon Cancer Awareness/American Heart Society/Etc." or specifically list "Mr. Smith passed away after a long term battle with XYZ disease."

Now, if I had listed in my late husband's obituary, "Mr. germaine2626 died due to fatal complications resulting from significant staff errors at the ABC nursing home, in My Town, Wisconsin." I would probably be facing numerous lawsuits. (IMHO, it is better to file a formal complaint with the state so that the facility is investigated and other families do not have to face the same loss. Now, that is the true public service.)

So sorry for your loss, especially under those circumstances.
This is exactly where more information would be useful but the lawsuit issue keeps it silent.

I've also found that the Silent Generation and Greatest Gen. are pretty mum about this stuff.
Someone I know age 80 had a routine colonoscopy and her GI perforated her colon. She ended up with peritonitis (not a small thing at her age) hospitalized for a week. I asked the name of her GI and she did not want to say his name. Isn't that crazy?

My small local hospital gets the highest A rating in our state (not the one she went to) and I have been to the ER there and got great treatment. Yet people here routinely go the the hospital in the larger city nearby which has reports of much higher infection rates and a C report from state. Yep, that's where she went.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
[quote=twinkletwinkle22;52190221]I understand that nowadays obituaries are paid for by the surviving family so there is one reason.

This is the reason- it is now up to the writer of the obit. We're seeing some very odd obits nowadays and probably many that will genealogically insignificant- who knows that what's written is remotely true?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
why don't obituaries state cause of death any more?

Did they ever?

I'm not a big obituary guy, at least not yet, but I don't recall seeing anything like "John Smith succumbed to throat cancer on Sunday...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates