Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 12:57 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

One of my college buddies (a high school teacher in Georgia) felt the need to vent his frustration over something he witnessed the other day. According to my friend, a stranger sat down next to a Navy vet, who proceeded to ask the stranger whether he had ever served his country? The stranger "hesitated," before stating "not in the military." The vet then laughed and replied something along the lines of "don't tell me you mean that chicken-**** Peace Corps or something").

Well, my friend was deeply upset with this and went on a decent rant about how it is ridiculous that many believe that the military is the most significant or even the most significant way to serve your country. About how we have taken things "too far" with the "Godlike pedestal" we put military service members on, as it devalues other forms of public service, such as teaching, medicine, and social justice warfare (i.e. putting yourselves in "harm's way by protesting against the police). This friend demands that other forms of public service get treated the same as military service. That teachers, doctors, lawyers, social justice warriors, etc., get saluted at ball games, get preferential boarding at airports, etc. To be fair, my friend claimed that he was in no way denigrating military service.

While I greatly respect the work of men and women serving as teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc., I find much of what my friend wrote to be troubling. Simply put, I believe that members of the AF (as a general matter) do provide a different service requiring greater sacrifice than teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Indeed, how many teachers, etc., have been killed in the line of duty in the last 15 years (or last however many years you want to count)? How many teachers, etc., risk their lives every day just by putting on their uniform to go do their work? How many teachers are separated from their families for up to a year (or more) on regular deployments, etc.? There's a reason why military men and women are put on a "pedestal" by society (generally). What they do is different (although not necessarily "better" or "greater") than what your regular public servant does.

Still, I seemed to be in the minority with my beliefs (granted, most of my friend's connections lean left on the political spectrum, which may help to explain things). I'm curious to know how many (and why) would agree with my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 02:41 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Even if we have the technology to lob a shell over their heads to hit you the military and police volunteer signed up to be a human shield to protect us from those bullets and explosives

Old 07-28-2018, 02:48 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
^^So, what's your position?

By the way, everyone chooses what they want to do as far as a profession goes. But the point remains what you still choose to take on jobs requiring more sacrifice than others.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 07-28-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 04:49 PM

My position or former position is irrelevant. The society as a whole wishes to honor and reward their human shield bearers. As such they were among the first to receive titles and honorarium as well as pensions at a relatively young age if they happened to survive their time serving as a shield for the rest of the community.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Yes I think it belongs on a pedestal
The biggest mistake we have made was to eliminate the draft
A nation of 35 year old skate board wonders

Old 07-28-2018, 04:55 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
I don't fully agree with either you or your friend's position. I'm a realist, others would probably consider me more left politically but I don't see myself as either left or right. Basically I think people are selfish, more or less out to serve themselves. Yes this includes those that choose to join the military. Of course they sacrifice, but so does every single other person with a job. Otherwise they wouldn't be paid for doing what they do. Think about it. Military "service" has an awful lot of benefits for anyone joining. Name me another profession that a kid straight out of high school can join and get free housing as well as the opportunity to travel the world. For many people it's simply the best financial option and an enticing lifestyle choice. Not to mention the general adoration from the public regarding anyone in uniform.

As for the public service sector, it's a job, and as with most jobs you have to provide some kind of service to get paid. What's so special about public service in general? Nothing IMO. As far as the military being exposed to danger more often than your average person. Yes that is true, but just being exposed to danger does not make you any better than anyone else. How about drug dealers, gang leaders, hitmen, etc? So the general assumption is that the military protects us civilians from danger so we owe them gratitude. This is something I do not agree with. I don't think anyone has every protected me or make my life safer by invading a country halfway around the world. Bottom line is that while I don't hold anything against someone having a military or any other "public service" job, I would never hold them in higher esteem than anyone else just because of their chosen occupation. The people who chose these occupations do it because it's what's best available for themselves, not because of some desire to help others selflessly.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:19 PM

But then again if we don't give the recruits enough societal honors we revert to sending federal marshals to force folks to serve. None of the other services needed a penalty of imprisonment to induce people to serve

Old 07-28-2018, 07:24 PM

292 posts, read 163,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Indeed, how many teachers, etc., have been killed in the line of duty in the last 15 years (or last however many years you want to count)? How many teachers, etc., risk their lives every day just by putting on their uniform to go do their work?
The only Teachers I am aware of enduring a higher safety risk are working Juvenile Hall or in Adult Jails. Years back, I was a substitute teachers aide for the office of education where my jobsite was at Juvenile Hall. Every summer for 3 yrs
Quote:
How many teachers are separated from their families for up to a year (or more) on regular deployments, etc.?
Very True
Quote:
There's a reason why military men and women are put on a "pedestal" by society (generally ). What they do is different (although not necessarily "better" or "greater") than what your regular public servant does.
Yes, they offer a greater sacrifice overall, than most of us. That premiess is generally accepted hence why they get little discounts here and there from various stores and companies. One day per year to be honored. Discounted Loans and such.

The problem is, they leave them in the Military for years on end to suffer to the point they become what they were fighting against.
Then they end up in jail for murdering someone due to PTSD. So sad. They need to have shorter "sentences' during wartime.
My thought is your friend has a bit of a chip on his shoulder because he feels like others are stealing his thunder.
It's not easy to live that way

Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I can see the OP point for asking. While all of us respect the sacrifices a lot of service people made for this country, sometimes it is overblown. People serve America in many ways, not every person needed to be dodging bullets to serve the country. Doctors, nurses, volunteers, etc gave to this country too.

For the man the OP cited, who looked down on the other man because he may have been a weekend warrior, to do that is just elitist and wrong.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:24 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I don't fully agree with either you or your friend's position. I'm a realist, others would probably consider me more left politically but I don't see myself as either left or right. Basically I think people are selfish, more or less out to serve themselves. Yes this includes those that choose to join the military. Of course they sacrifice, but so does every single other person with a job. Otherwise they wouldn't be paid for doing what they do. Think about it. Military "service" has an awful lot of benefits for anyone joining. Name me another profession that a kid straight out of high school can join and get free housing as well as the opportunity to travel the world. For many people it's simply the best financial option and an enticing lifestyle choice. Not to mention the general adoration from the public regarding anyone in uniform.

As for the public service sector, it's a job, and as with most jobs you have to provide some kind of service to get paid. What's so special about public service in general? Nothing IMO. As far as the military being exposed to danger more often than your average person. Yes that is true, but just being exposed to danger does not make you any better than anyone else. How about drug dealers, gang leaders, hitmen, etc? So the general assumption is that the military protects us civilians from danger so we owe them gratitude. This is something I do not agree with. I don't think anyone has every protected me or make my life safer by invading a country halfway around the world. Bottom line is that while I don't hold anything against someone having a military or any other "public service" job, I would never hold them in higher esteem than anyone else just because of their chosen occupation. The people who chose these occupations do it because it's what's best available for themselves, not because of some desire to help others selflessly.
I have the utmost respect and appreciation for the military. But I do get weary when I see on social media kids who join the military going on and on how their patriotism and love for country is the reason they joined. The truth is most of the kids I know who have joined had few other options. Most were average (or below average) students and came from families that could not help them financially. No way could they ever afford college, so the military was the best choice. And I applaud them for their service. But I also applaud others I know in law enforcement who risk their lives everyday too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates