Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 07:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then you go to court or you make a complaint or do something lawful to get that out to that cop's superiors.

You're right, cops don't make the rules. They enforce them. And it's up to each cop whether or not he's going to enforce rules he doesn't agree with or not, just as it's up to each person to decide how important his protest is to obey or disobey an order from a cop. But however you or the cop does, there's going to be consequences. Why those consequences should be a surprise, I don't know.

I think we can all agree that what people did during the civil rights movement was necessary to getting those civil rights, even if it meant breaking the law and disobeying cops. I think we can all agree that civil rights is a just cause.

So what about abortion?

What happens when pro-lifers protest outside a clinic? If the cops tell them to not harass the people going into the clinic, the pro-lifers say their rights of free speech have been violated. If the cops don't protect the people going into the clinic, then those people say their rights have been violated because they weren't free to go where they wished without the threat of harassment. And who's right in this case? Who do the cops protect? Who do they help? And what about how they feel?

If a cop is a pro-lifer himself, maybe he feels he shouldn't be protecting women who go into clinics for an abortion. If he thinks abortion should be a right, maybe he wishes he could do more to help people going into the clinic.

Either way, he has to do what he's told or step down and say why and suffer the consequences we all do when we act our conscience.

But that doesn't mean cops can't speak their minds when they're off the job. If they want to talk about drugs or DUIs or anything else, they should have the same right as anyone else to offer an opinion. Maybe more in some cases, like with drugs and DUIs. They're the ones who have to deal with the results of DUIs and drug abuse. How many posters here have ever picked a dead body out of a car crash as the result of a DUI?

Do you really believe that people should be inconvenienced to that extent because a rogue cop wants to make up his own rules?

As far as your abortion topic, it is not up to the cop to make a judgement on the issue of abortion or to even allow the actions of another to be shaded by his own opinion when it comes to enforcing the law. If the law allows verbal confrontations, even venomous, hateful, profane confrontations, that's what the cop must allow. If the law prohibits blocking one's free passage on a public sidewalk, that is what he must enforce and if the law bans even the slightest amount of physical contact between two people, the cop must be there to enforce the law, not his own beliefs.

Anyone who is unable to hold themselves to that standard has no business in the field of law enforcement and should have been educated in that on their first day in the police academy.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
You do realize discretion is perfectly legal and actually encouraged in many places right? Discretion being exactly what you’re advocating against: individual police officers making decisions whether or not to enforce the law for a variety of reasons.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You do realize discretion is perfectly legal and actually encouraged in many places right? Discretion being exactly what you’re advocating against: individual police officers making decisions whether or not to enforce the law for a variety of reasons.
Is that for me?

If so, rather than simply putting vague new posts out there just hit the QUOTE button so we can see who you're directing your comments to.

Last edited by kokonutty; 09-03-2018 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Folks are welcome to bash cops all they want, but until they put on that uniform they’re doing nothing to solve the problems they allegedly claim are so prevalent.

Fittingly, most cops will simply categorize such citizens as spoiled brats unappreciative of those who put themselves in the line of fire everyday to serve their community.

Blue lives matter and thank you for your service, police officers.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I recently witnessed the stupidest guy in the world. To set scene. Two lane very busy road at rush hour, one lane each way with a center lane for left turns. A bike lane on either side, sidewalk on either side. So the guy is walking in the bike lane for no apparent reason. Cop pulls over to ask guy to please use the sidewalk. Guy has all sorts of stupid reasons for walking in bike lane. He doesn't have a bike and wants to use what his tax dollars paid for. I'm thinking about crossing road just haven't decided when I'll do it. Walker gets all belligerent and says I'll walk where I want to it's a free country. Ok, I your name and ID sir, I don't have to give you no name or ID for just walking.... well guy ened up in back of police car. Starting to finish about 15 minutes. Could have been over in 10 seconds if the guy would walk on sidewalk.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So cops sometimes don't uphold the law.

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:25 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Folks are welcome to bash cops all they want, but until they put on that uniform they’re doing nothing to solve the problems they allegedly claim are so prevalent.

Well, first of all, that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

But citizens play roles in more than just one way. If they didn't, there would be sense of you posting your opinions.

Speaking up in various settings matters.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:54 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I wasn't referring to a specific type of threat or ANY kind of threat. My point was that NOT every verbal disrespectful statement is a threat.

But I'll play along since you seem to want to turn everything into an automatic crime against the police. So - a threat against a police officer's family - when they don't know you personally and the officer's family is not present is treated the same as a threat against the officer themself? The threat doesn't have to be "meaningful" in any way?

Oh, I get it - the same as if someone "looks" like they might have any kind of weapon you're forced to treat them as though they have a machine gun levelled at you. Now verbal threats, against not even the office themself carries the same kind of weight.....got it.

Can we cut through the crap and just say that if a cop feels there is any kind of threat or interprets something to be a verbal threat against himself or anyone he knows then it is acceptable to shoot to kill...indeed, to shoot on sight. ...I may or may not be playing devil's advocate here.

But I was, quite distinctly, to the OPs opening statement of whether a sayings something, even raping an officer's wife or daughter, warranted an aggressive approach:

Let me "cut the crap" and rehash for people that need things repeated without interjecting their own backpedaling:

1. The only way to take a statement that you're going to rape a family member of an officer is as a threat.

2. I would support any officer who needed to teach someone a lesson that you don't do that.

If you don't like that approach, may I advise you to train your loved ones not to threaten police officers. Also, don't "non-threateningly" suggest you're going to rape their families.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is that for me?

If so, rather than simply putting vague new posts out there just hit the QUOTE button so we can see who you're directing your comments to.
Another one who likes to make their own rules huh?

You post is right above mine. You’re free to ignore it, that’s not a rule either like the other poster tried to insinutate. Don’t be telling others how to converse though. Check the terms of service for the actual rules we have here, then use the report feature if you see some violated.

This time, since your post was not going to be above mine, I quoted you. Quite a simple concept.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-04-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So cops sometimes don't uphold the law.

Thank you.
Of course. Discretion is legal and encouraged. If you don’t like it, you should start a movement to make all cops robots instead.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates