Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM

779 posts, read 472,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
Yes and no.

If you understand the "Continuum of Force" you'll realize that it makes sense in many instances when it doesn't seem to make sense to the general public.

Say for example, a cop gives you a verbal command. After several, the person refuses to comply. The next step in the continuum of force is generally going to be to put hands on a person. This can be a "soft" hand or a "hard" hand. Unfortunately, almost all people who are non-compliant will resist even a "soft" hand. This quickly leads the officer to need to now move up the continuum of force- hence, restraint etc.

Look, many cops abuse their power, are poor with verbal negotiation, etc- that being said, MOST are good at their jobs. If someone is non-compliant and refuses to follow commands, what, is the officer suppose to walk away? Sure, certain times this can be acceptable, but almost always, the officer will need to continue to engage. Eventually, non-compliance will be met with some sort of force.

It's unfortunate that most people don't: A) Understand the use of force continuum and B) Realize that a LEO's requests are not just to be blown off.

And OP, I don't disagree with you that being "disrespected" is not means to engage someone, so long as there isn't a law being broken. LEO's NEED to have a thick skin, cool heads, and sound judgement. It is also one of the hardest jobs in the world. Most of the general public could not do it well.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Folks are welcome to bash cops all they want, but until they put on that uniform they’re doing nothing to solve the problems they allegedly claim are so prevalent.

Fittingly, most cops will simply categorize such citizens as spoiled brats unappreciative of those who put themselves in the line of fire everyday to serve their community.

Blue lives matter and thank you for your service, police officers.
That's ridiculous - only cops can criticize cops? So by that reasoning cops can't have an opinion on anyone else like teachers, doctors, the military?

I don't really care what cops think about me...I'll thank a cop who is a good cop but I won't hesitate to recognize when cops do wrong.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
...and millions will support them.

That's the main problem nowadays. Are there bad cops? Of course there are! The Agenda is pushing the idea that bad cops compromise a much larger portion of the profession than they do in reality. AND THEN creating the myth that all other cops are bad for not magically "outing" those bad cops. AND THEN creating the myth of "institutional racism" to round out vilifying the entire profession.

Either way, the proper response to bad cops isn't to support degeneracy as we're seeing today. It's sickening.
BBM~ to address~~ I agree 100%..and luckily working frontline in HC I was able to report such Police officer's (Always asked for Badge numbers) and after decades of my position KNEW exactly who report them too! I would attempt to politely correct "SAID OFFICER""and 99.9% of the time rebuked me and suggest alternative facts to justify how he was treating patient.. Unfortunately He did NOT know I observed the entire interaction !! After decades, I had credibility and superior's knew I would make "UNFOUNDED Claims" !!

But apparently , in the US video/apparent credible witnesses mean nothing!! I've watched far too many cases involving Excessive Force byLE to KNOW exactly how it works!! Victims at fault> didn't follow LE's directives etc.. etc..and hey.. THEY were low lives and Deserved what they GOT!!

Bursting Bubble..SOME LE love to use their POWER to attack/intimidate someone.. and when it's an innocent who KNOWS exactly what some rabid cop is trying to do> Target runs.. gets killed/Shot in back/evidence planted etc etc.. Someone in my position and experience KNOWS to QUESTION veracity of Officer's allegations !!

Cop's need to GROW UP and accept talk back from both Good andBAD types.. Arresting someone for bad attitude. Needs to STOP!!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:11 PM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
He told me that it was unusual to see a beat up vehicle in such a town and that he wanted to check it out. In other words, I didn't fit the pattern. Seemed perfectly logical to me. I had my license, insurance, and registration.
Driving a beater in a town where there aren't many of them is not probable cause for a stop under any circumstances. Not fitting a pattern has been slapped down by courts on numerous occasions, as has fitting a pattern. Stupid cop was hoping to get something for nothing.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If they don't like their job...quit.
Disliking a specific aspect of a job isn't hating the job altogether. Everybody has something at work they dislike doing.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Driving a beater in a town where there aren't many of them is not probable cause for a stop under any circumstances. Not fitting a pattern has been slapped down by courts on numerous occasions, as has fitting a pattern. Stupid cop was hoping to get something for nothing.
Driving a beater in an area where beaters aren't frequent is cause for mere suspicion. That mere suspicion allows the officer to find a traffic violation and pull you over. This is called a pretext stop. If the officer finds something illegal (No driver's license, weed or alcohol, or the vehicle comes back stolen), the officer has probable cause to arrest.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Disliking a specific aspect of a job isn't hating the job altogether. Everybody has something at work they dislike doing.
Which is really my point. Usually we pretty much know what a certain type of job entails. So don't take a job if it's not to your liking. I remember one time they were doing staff reductions to educational positions, and I was a fairly new vice principal. I was going to have to go back in the classroom...which wouldn't have been a tragedy since I loved teaching, too. But suddenly, when it looked like my goal was going to suffer a terrible setback, some of the moaning and groaning I did about admin seemed petty. In my case, the cuts ultimately never happened. A cop doesn't enjoy stopping traffic violators. Too bad. It's something we need them for...it's one reason we hired them.

I get so tired of people who say that someone who disagrees with certain police actions ought to walk a mile in their shoes. Maybe they ought to walk a mile in a suspects shoes whose life is falling apart.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's ridiculous - only cops can criticize cops? So by that reasoning cops can't have an opinion on anyone else like teachers, doctors, the military?

I don't really care what cops think about me...I'll thank a cop who is a good cop but I won't hesitate to recognize when cops do wrong.

Unfortunately, they have a license to kill and get away with it and it is not uncommon that they have been doing so and getting away with it for far too long. The profession needs to be raised to a higher paying wage that requires a college degree that includes a thorough instruction in American law and civics. As it stands now, entry level jobs on a police force draw too many undesirables who have no respect for the community, the people or civil rights. This is not to say that there are not respectable cops, but the thin blue line (lying for one another) is teaching them to be corrupt.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:32 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Well, it didn't bother me. I did the same thing when I saw customers come into the store I worked at. For instance, anyone who backed into a parking space or left their car running while they came in, anyone who watched me as they shopped, anyone who parked next door where I couldn't see the car when we had open spots right outside the door - those people got my attention fast. That's seeing people break pattern and were they profiled as possible robbers or thieves when they came in? You bet your sweet hiney.

And in case you don't know, this fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of profiling is how Israelis keep their airlines safe.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Pa...-rights-513360

"Israeli security has been adamant in the use of profiling to recognize airplane passengers who may threaten the safety of the flight. Behavioral experts are highly trained in reading body language to pick up on the signs of potential nervousness or unusual behavior; the process does not rely on the appearance of the individual. It simply picks up on passengers’ behavioral patterns."

Our courts are stupid. Profiling works. If you get stopped because you match the profile of someone who is a robber or a murderer, simply being polite, truthful, and above all courteous (and it sure doesn't hurt if you're driving with a license, insurance card, and car registration AND you don't have anything illegal in the car with you) should get you sent on your way in about 5 to 10 minutes.

I'm not saying that is accurate all the time or that there are not cops out there on power trips, but I'd say this is true for about 98% of the time. If it was your little girl stuck in the trunk of a car who pulled the wires of taillight and that car wasn't stopped for having a taillight out, you'd be screaming blue murder about the cops not doing their job.

You can't have it both ways. If you want people arrested for doing illegal things, then you have to put up with cops stopping the people they think are suspicious. If they don't stop those people, there will be a lot more of them getting away with crime and therefore, more crime. If this is the case because you don't want cops to stop the people they think are suspicious, then you can't complain because your house gets broken into or your car gets stolen. That simple.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:52 PM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Driving a beater in an area where beaters aren't frequent is cause for mere suspicion. That mere suspicion allows the officer to find a traffic violation and pull you over. This is called a pretext stop. If the officer finds something illegal (No driver's license, weed or alcohol, or the vehicle comes back stolen), the officer has probable cause to arrest.
The standard is reasonable suspicion, which means the officer has an articulate fact that indicates criminal activity is happening. Driving a beater doesn't create reasonable suspicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates