Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 05:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

Most posting don’t feel the officer has any right to force them to do anything
Non compliance is perceived as a civil right
And law obedience is a matter of perception and opinion
Hence the expression
Law enforcement
For those who feel they are above the law - we have police

Old 09-01-2018, 05:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
No, nothing warrants the kind of cop violence we're seeing - especially not in a country that claims to support freedom of speech. It seems clear to me that there are a lot of cops with psychological problems of their own.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The op is about speech not actions. Failure to comply is a different topic. Stay on topic!
Quote:
Yes, but that wasn't the OP's question and you could tell from my answer that I accounted for that anyway. Non-compliance is the EASY question to answer - speech is something else. Of course it's easy enough to lie and they could say you hesitated too long getting your ID out if they wanted to, so there's that.
Why are you trying to explain what the OP is asking? You are not the OP. Why are you even here? To argue the topic or argue the semantics of the thread? And I have to ask YOU to stay on topic instead of creating posts talking for the OP. The OP can speak for himself.
To clarify, his title says one thing but his post says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them.
So "arguing" is the key point here and totally on topic - arguing about what? It could be indeed that the officer is asking him to comply with a lawful act. If you don't follow the lawful act, it's "don't taz me bro" time. We don't know what the context is. The OP is just assuming it's just an argument where the citizen is not doing anything wrong, but the OP just doesn't know. Should a LEO beat down a citizen that's yelling at a cop but otherwise did no crime? Of course not. But resistance to lawful command, even passive resistance, get's you a face plant and your arms bent like pretzels until the handcuffs go on, then a perp walk.

Last edited by Dd714; 09-01-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 08:14 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Their job IS dangerous and difficult. And once again, do as your told. If you're too stupid or too much of a snowflake to think rules don't apply to you and you run, you deserve to get shot. I will agree there is no reason to beat up a cuffed suspect.
I am not going to run, and, like I said, I will comply if I am told I am under arrest. I will not submit to a cop who tells me to stop doing something I have a legal right to do. there's a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I have never encountered a situation with a cop in which I felt they were abusive of their power. In Boston, I was riding my bicycle and a guy cut me off in his car to get a parking space. I couldn't stop in time and slammed into the side of his car and broke the mirror off. He wanted the cops called, even though he was at fault. The cop threw my mangled bicycle in his trunk and drove me home, which was miles from the accident site. I did get thrown in jail as a kid with my best friend because we were playing pranks with cars, which were potentially dangerous. Our parents were called to pick us up. It was to teach us a lesson.

When you write "some idiot with a badge" it is obvious you have an anti-cop bias.
I am against bad cops, which is what cops who use more force than necessary are. I've seen good cops at work, and respect them. I do not respect some idiot with a badge who tells me to quit taking pictures in a public place, tells me to produce an ID(in Texas, that's only required if you are carrying a handgun or operating a motor vehicle), or thinks I have to answer his random question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You can call him an ***hole all you want while following his orders.

But if he tells you do something and you don't, he'll probably beat you anymore.

You don't refuse police orders. You comply, and if there's a problem that is what the courts are for later. Too many people would rather just act tough these days. Hint: They're not.
I don't have to comply with an order from a cop that isn't lawful. And many orders from cops aren't lawful. People comply because they think they have to.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:06 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you have every right to handle a situation with the police in whatever you think is best. No one is saying you shouldn't.

And I've never tested my constitutional rights with a police officer. I'm rather compliant.

But those two things don't mean that we shouldn't be discussing the realities of the situation in this nation.
People of color must abide and comply by police officers in this country.

This is not breaking news.

Any citizen is more than welcome to test their anti-police rhetoric online or in real life but for people of color it will come with deadly consequences.

I will respect, fear, comply, and listen to police 100% at all times because I don't have the skin tone to survive insubordination. Your protesting won't save me if I'm in a casket.

So at the end of the day, don't break the law, comply with police, and you'll be perfectly fine. My life depends on it. This isn't some stupid game for me.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:38 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
There's a big difference between beat and arrest. So to the OP, no, the cops don't have a right to beat you down unless you attack them, try to grab their gun, or are on some type of drug that makes beating you down the only choice to control you. Beating you up, never.

But let's talk about arresting someone here.

I don't know what it is in America, but so many people think they don't have to follow rules, instructions, or act like anything but spoiled brats. Maybe their mothers told them to do something fifty times before she followed through, but no cop is going to play that game. Some people think the real world works the same as it does at home, and boy, do they get a shock when they find out differently.

So when a person who was told to do something refuses to do it or worse, refuses and gets mouthy, I'm all for the cop slapping a couple handcuffs on them. Don't like what a cop does? Go to court - that's where you take care of things like that. And let's face it, how many people complain about being arrested who really didn't do something to bring the situation on themselves (getting stopped for nothing is something else again, but usually, there's a reason for that)?

There's a big difference between asking a cop a legitimate question and whining about your rights just to be annoying and everyone on this thread knows what that difference is.

If someone wants to play poor brutalized rights-denied me with a cop, feel free. But don't be surprised when you find out the rules in your fantasy life don't apply in the real world.

If anyone wants to see some of the crap cops have to put up with, just go to YouTube and type in "Sovereign Citizen".

Old 09-01-2018, 09:39 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Any citizen is more than welcome to test their anti-police rhetoric online or in real life but for people of color it will come with deadly consequences.

I will respect, fear, comply, and listen to police 100% at all times because I don't have the skin tone to survive insubordination. Your protesting won't save me if I'm in a casket.

So at the end of the day, don't break the law, comply with police, and you'll be perfectly fine. My life depends on it. This isn't some stupid game for me.
I'm well aware of "the talk" and what you might face that would be different than me.

I'm not suggesting you not comply.

But total societal compliance in matters of injustice results in the continuation of that injustice. So let the SJWs fight for change. You don't have to.

(I realize that you're so anxious to pick a fight with me about this topic, that you will misunderstand my post again).

Old 09-01-2018, 10:39 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Hence the expression
Law enforcement
But what about that minority group of police who feel they are above the law and issue unlawful orders and retaliate against those who refuse to be forced to do something the officer has no right to do? Noncompliance certainly is a civil right.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Should a LEO beat down a citizen...
Especially not if the LEO is a dog catcher, meter maid or building inspector.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Hence the expression
Law enforcement
Exactly. There is a reason we have police. While there are some bad ones most are doing what they need to do to serve and protect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Being of color does not make you an automatic victim. Follow the law and you're unlikely to be in a casket whether you're white, black, brown, red, yellow, purple, pink, blue, green, striped or spotted.

Quote:
These are some pretty strong arguments you've got here....impressive.
I'm 37 and never been arrested or had any trouble with cops so there must be some truth to what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates