Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why on earth would companies do that? Pay more, to get less? I'm really not following you on this one, phet.
It wouldn't be the company's ideal or doing, but rather the government using the power of the majority and forcing the issue. With whatever percentage of wage increase is necessary to make 35, or 39 hours after the limiting work hours law compensation equivalent of 40 hours in the pre law period. It will have to be set by congress, state legislatures and even city councils as they do with living wage laws.. Or just like they do now in forcing overtime premiums of all time "on the clock" after 40 hours in a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:54 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
There's a presumption here, it should be drug out into the light.

You don't HAVE to work 40+ hours a week. For most on C-D, it's a conscious decision to do so in order to buy a more expensive home (or second home), always have new cars, and basically play the game "Keeping up with the Jones's"

My wife had no issues being hired on at her most current position at 32 hours a week (minimum that comes with health insurance, which is the only reason she works so much in the first place), when it was advertised as a 40hr position. Prior to this position she worked contracts and part time, but healthcare was affordable for individuals then too.

You don't Have to work 40 hours a week. But you DO have to live more modestly if you want to work less.... so, what's important to you. Money status or free time?
But most jobs hiring will not take employees who only want to work 32 hours a week. So therefore, it's not a choice since hardly any jobs offer that, right?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
According to the article I cited, robots will take over more and more jobs in the future.
Therefore there will be fewer jobs for humans...therefore more unemployment.

Therefore, would it not be a good idea to reduce work hours...
Or do we solve the future unemployment issue in some other way?
1) Earlier in this thread and in many others over my years here I have expressed the opinion
that we really do not have an unemployment problem so much as we have an over population problem.
A hundred million or so at current levels is often cited.

2) Whether their lives exist at the professional/artisan end or the direct labor end of the spectrum
many people actually enjoy their work; maybe even most. Enjoy it directly and/or gain some other satisfaction
from their work that goes beyond, often well beyond, what they might earn from the hours spent.

Combining the ideas in and around these two statements MY result is to promote and support the idea
that a US with a ~200Million population who actually enjoy what they do and gain satisfaction from it
and of course a good income ...
would be a far more appealing place for OUR grandchildren and theirs to live in than one with 450 or 500 Million
having to compete for every scrap with their own generational or even literal siblings.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-22-2018 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: lost on last page

Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) Earlier in this thread and in many others over my years here I have expressed the opinion
that we really do not have an unemployment problem so much as we have an over population problem.
A hundred million or so at current levels is often cited.

2) Whether their lives exist at the professional/artisan end or the direct labor end of the spectrum
many people actually enjoy their work; maybe even most. Enjoy it directly and/or gain some other satisfaction
from their work that goes beyond, often well beyond, what they might earn from the hours spent.

Combining the ideas in and around these two statements MY result is to promote and support the idea
that a US with a ~200Million population who actually enjoy what they do and gain satisfaction from it
and of course a good income ...
would be a far more appealing place for OUR grandchildren and theirs to live in than one with 450 or 500 Million
having to compete for every scrap with their own generational or even literal siblings.
Your point number 1, which may or may not be correct, and is primarily a POV, is nearly irrelevant. We have what we have.

In fact, your whole post -- while thoughtful -- didn't really address my post at all.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
...your whole post -- while thoughtful -- didn't really address my post at all.
I know.
I don't believe that debating how you might sort them when you 'rearrange the deck chairs' helps anything.
That sort of approach, the rearranging itself helps almost nothing. It certainly doesn't solve anything.

Quote:
We have what we have.
We have what we choose to have. Or get imposed on us by inaction (eg the Orange One).
I prefer the former. Choose then act.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I know.
I don't believe that debating how you might sort them when you 'rearrange the deck chairs' helps anything.
That sort of approach, the rearranging itself helps almost nothing. It certainly doesn't solve anything.

We have what we choose to have. Or get imposed on us by inaction (eg the Orange One).
I prefer the former. Choose then act.
Again, how are you addressing the potential of increased unemployment due to automation? That's the point of this thread.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Other than government and big corporate jobs most companies are making their employees work more than 40 hours each week.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Again, how are you addressing the potential of increased unemployment due to automation?
I'm calling out automation as specious or a red herring.

Even if we had ZERO additional automation we would still have the rest of the problem.
Focus on the rest: too many people and an ever climbing number of them.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I'm calling out automation as specious or a red herring.

Even if we had ZERO additional automation we would still have the rest of the problem.
Focus on the rest: too many people and an ever climbing number of them.
Okay. Fine.

You still aren't offering any solution to ever-increasing unemployment in the future.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You still aren't offering any solution to ever-increasing unemployment in the future.
Didn't know I had to... besides solutions are another dept.

I'm focused identifying what the actual problem is and inviting people to join that effort.
Until that cause is agreed on there's not much point in talking solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates