Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,129,919 times

Advertisements

Gee, and I was happy to go from 70hrs/week to 55-60!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM

602 posts, read 507,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I think the thing that's broken in the US is vacation time, not the work week.
I agree. If you look at the average total hours worked per year, the US is a little above average but not exceptionally high. Where we are the outlier in the world is with vacation time (as well as sick and parental leave), as well as the kinds of jobs where people are expected to put in long workweeks (due to who the labor laws exempt from the overtime pay requirements).

Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I agree. If you look at the average total hours worked per year, the US is a little above average but not exceptionally high. Where we are the outlier in the world is with vacation time (as well as sick and parental leave), as well as the kinds of jobs where people are expected to put in long workweeks (due to who the labor laws exempt from the overtime pay requirements).
And you can be on the job doing very little. Many firms have an expectation of a certain number of hours or "butt-in-seat" time - no matter how productive (or lack thereof) it is.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not as long as workers are paid hourly wages.

I don't mind working 40 hours a week, in fact I usually work more than that. And I love getting OT pay too.

IMO what we need is to stop overbuilding the major cities so that so many aren't stuck for so many hours in rush hour traffic. And dumping billions into public transportation isn't the answer.
Clearly you, like most of the posters in this thread, didn't actually read my OP.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:48 AM

34,139 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Clearly you, like most of the posters in this thread, didn't actually read my OP.
Don't paste links without including a pertinent excerpt (or two).
Or make whatever the point is by using your own phrasing.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 AM

34,269 posts, read 18,649,724 times
Nobody is being FORCED to work a 40 hour week. If you prefer, get a job that only requires 30 hours, or any amount of hours you want. Will, you make less money? Probably, but that's your choice, right?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't paste links without including a pertinent excerpt (or two).
Or make whatever the point is by using your own phrasing.
I did:

"For the sake of debate, we have all read about how automation and robots are taking over many jobs. ...

So, should America reduce by 1 hour per year each year for the next decade the 40 hour work, in order to reduce the work week to 30 hours, but companies would need to increase pay proportionally to maintain the standard of living in the country?"

Old 10-21-2018, 12:50 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
I did:

"For the sake of debate, we have all read about how automation and robots are taking over many jobs. ...

So, should America reduce by 1 hour per year each year for the next decade the 40 hour work, in order to reduce the work week to 30 hours, but companies would need to increase pay proportionally to maintain the standard of living in the country?"
Why on earth would companies do that? Pay more, to get less? I'm really not following you on this one, phet.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why on earth would companies do that? Pay more, to get less? I'm really not following you on this one, phet.
Let me try one more time (I have to admit that if YOU didn't get where I was going with this, then I didn't state my suggestion very well).

According to the article I cited, robots will take over more and more jobs in the future.

Therefore there will be fewer jobs for humans...therefore more unemployment.

Therefore, would it not be a good idea to reduce work hours for a "full week" so that companies have to add jobs to make up the difference, hence less unemployment in the future.

Or do we solve the future unemployment issue in some other way?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM

34,139 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
According to the article I cited, robots will take over more and more jobs in the future.
Therefore there will be fewer jobs for humans... therefore more unemployment.

Therefore, would it not be a good idea to reduce work hours...
Or do we solve the future unemployment issue in some other way?
1) Earlier in this thread and in many others over my years here I have expressed the opinion
that we really do not have an unemployment problem so much as we have an over population problem.
A hundred million or so at current levels is often cited.

2) Whether their lives exist at the professional/artisan end or the direct labor end of the spectrum
many people actually enjoy their work; maybe even most. Enjoy it directly and/or gain some other satisfaction
from their work that goes beyond, often well beyond, what they might earn from the hours spent.

Combining the ideas in and around these two statements MY result is to promote and support the idea
that a US with a ~200Million population who actually enjoy what they do and gain satisfaction from it
and of course a good income ...
would be a far more appealing place for OUR grandchildren and theirs to live in than one with 450 or 500 Million
having to compete for every scrap with their own generational or even literal siblings.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: writing is a process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates