Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
They have the right...it's still RUDE though...do you seriously not understand the difference?
No, what's rude is you hoping to eavesdrop on a private conversation.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 PM

502 posts, read 391,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How could they be American citizens but not know how to speak English? Even naturalized citizens are required to know English in order to become citizens.
My barber took and passed the citizenship test and barley speaks English; I took the citizenship test and it really doesn't require much English ability...

Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
My two cents says if you LIVE in the country, you speak that country's language when in public, you LEARN to be fluent BEFORE moving there.

Tourists can speak whatever language they are accustomed to as they are TOURISTS!
Luckily you are not running the world.

I fully intend to move to another country--with the basics, but I certainly hope there are no fascists such as yourself at the border of the country who will tell me I'm not allowed to stay because I am not fluent in the language. That is insanely ridiculous.

Or our airport customs can also tell anyone that is moving here--they may not stay unless they are fluent in English and take a test at the border. It will be like 'Welcome to America where we have freedom of speech but only in one language, of course."

Those fascist desires will never come to fruition, thank goodness.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
No, what's rude is you hoping to eavesdrop on a private conversation.
He wants to make sure they’re not planning on blowing up the produce section.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
If someone is talking loudly in a public setting then how is it eaves dropping to hear it? Why would I care about their personal lives and want to know what they are talking about? I wouldn't even know them! You're grasping at straws now.

No, it's their lack of respect for our nation's language and those around them when they know how to speak English but refuse to. If one isn't fluent in English then speaking it as often as they can will make them more fluent.

The fact that you think it was ok to pull the race card is a tell all.

tell all of WHAT?? that you don't like being called on it??

and WERE they talking loudly?? or were the conversing between themselves using their inside voices and the nosy, bigoted witch overheard them as she walked past and flipped her lid??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post

HAHAHHAAA..... Now THAT did make me Laugh Out Loud....

Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

I fully intend to move to another country--with the basics, but I certainly hope there are no fascists such as yourself at the border of the country who will tell me I'm not allowed to stay because I am not fluent in the language. That is insanely ridiculous.

Or our airport customs can also tell anyone that is moving here--they may not stay unless they are fluent in English and take a test at the border. It will be like 'Welcome to America where we have freedom of speech but only in one language, of course."

I never said they shouldn't be free to speak whatever language they wanted...only that it's RUDE....you must be a liberal that want Government to FORCE your opinion on everyone else but cannot handle other thinking differently than you do!

Clearly you do not understand what Fascism is...

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
People expect privacy in public.

Spies are the only people who think people shouldn't have privacy in public.

Spies have a lot in common with criminals who finesse the law. "Says right here I can do it."

You make a case that equates Spanish-speaking with a security risk. Timothy McVeigh is a rebuttal to that.

Look at how confused you are.

1) "The law matters. I have a right to listen to any conversation in Safeway, even when people expect privacy. They're in a public space."

2) "The law doesn't matter. It's common sense and rude not to speak English in public. I won't go by the law here, because it doesn't follow my agenda."
Only stupid people would expect privacy in public. How many times has it been unequivocally established that there is NO RIGHT TO PRIVACY in public?

Countless times.

And its not specifically Spanish. Its any foreign tongue. I don't know what your obsession or fixation with McVeigh is. It is completely apropos of nothing. You just said Timothy McVeigh is a rebuttal to that...a rebuttal is an argument. Not a person. If you have an argument to make, just make it. Stop being cryptic. King George the Third.

Quote:
As I said, I may have the right to spit on the sidewalk but it's still rude and disrespectful. Far too many people only give a darn about their so-called rights even if it means offending others. I'm glad I'm not that way.
Well actually you don't. That's an offense in nearly every city in the nation. Beside that its disgusting and a public health hazard. Would you take a crap on the sidewalk? (San Francisco people, don't answer please).

Quote:
It's none of your ******* business what other people having a private conversation between themselves are talking about, and in what language. Go choke on your xenophobia.
There isn't any such thing as a private conversation in public spaces or public places.
No such thing as "xenophobia" either...completely made up fake word (by Bolsheviks) to demonize opposition to their aggressive plans for mass inmigration into the US (they've been at this a long time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
They could be plotting to poison or adulterate food. Or a robbery. The topic could be any crime that two or more people can conspire or collaborate to commit. You don't know.

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
Quote:
Once again, it is no longer a private conversation when it's carried on loudly where everyone else can hear it. Geez, I don't know how many times that has to be explained in here.
Are you upset because it was loud or because it was a language you didn’t understand. I might also be bothered if someone were speaking very loudly (in any language).

Old 10-09-2018, 04:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
What is "DRFA"? I get the rest of the jargon though.

I didn't.....

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

There should of course be a language fluency requirement for any immigration. We have freedom of speech....we also have the freedom to decide who we admit to our country.

And that means we can impose whatever qualifications or requirements on potential immigrants that we wish. We could say they all must be left-handed and great at math if we wanted to. That's our prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates