Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You bring up a good point. How many Americans travel abroad and openly speak English in Europe, Asia, South America,etc.?
To be fair, from my observation certain countries don't work with you when you try to attempt to speak the language unless you have sacrificed quite a bit of time and energy into at least getting intermediate level (which in certain languages is harder than others). They could do a better job of being more welcoming. When someone is struggling with English most people here will try to help (at least in NYC). That rarely happens outside of the U.S. they mostly mock your attempts call it butchering their language and then will just talk to you in English. So it creates a negative feedback loop and people just give up and try and get by with English.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 AM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Quote from your linked article:

The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Correct in whose opinion?? the author's?? a Court's?? Was this statement handed down in some sort of lawsuit??

The 14th Amendment's wording is what is correct. It's not an opinion. It clearly states "and" subject to the jurisdiction. Why would there be a qualifier such as "and" if anyone born on our soil is automatically a birthright citizen? Illegal aliens mother's aren't subject to our full jurisdiction they like anyone else though are merely subject to our laws.

This will be taken up with the Supreme Court eventually and it should have been decades ago. It's just that many of our congress critters have been too PC themselves for decades now. There have been bills introduced to fix this but of course they get shot down. It won't be forever.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just who in this forum has stated that we should make speaking a foreign language in public illegal?

Maybe I misunderstood. How to you propose to make people speak English in public if not by law?

If you just think they "Should" then that's your right to think they should. But the reality is no matter how much you think a person should do something (or how much you think it's rude for them to do or not do something), you have no control over it. I would say it's better to learn to cope with it, but I still get frustrated with slow walkers, people who speak loudly on their phones in public or (worse) people who meet you for a meal and then proceed to text or talk on their phones when you are sitting across from them. So I know it's hard to accept things that frustrate.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So, if speaking foreign languages in public is NOT illegal, why is this happening?
There is nothing wrong with speaking a foreign language in public.

However, I am against allowing people to immigrate to the U.S. if they can't speak English.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is nothing wrong with speaking a foreign language in public.

However, I am against allowing people to immigrate to the U.S. if they can't speak English.

English skills are required for the citizenship exam (that much I know because I just looked it up). I don't have a problem with requiring English for those who wish to immigrate. I think that's a good idea actually. They will need basic English skills to get a job, take care of themselves etc. Maybe have part of the Visa process be an oral exam (if it isn't already). I would also be okay with an exception for the elderly. I can see is you wanted your 85-year-old Greek grandmother to move to the US so you could better take care of her where she wouldn't "need" to know English. It would be challenging for her, but it's not like she would need to support herself as she'd be a dependent.

But like you, I also have no issues with people speaking other languages in public. To each his own in the land of the free.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Ite, missa est

Quote:
or what about Catholic priests speaking Latin in Mass?? ..... either in parts of the service, or in some cases, the entire service.......
Is Latin a foreign language? Doesn't it underlie all the Romance languages? & its prefixes & suffixes & roots are throughout English. Anyway, since 1964:

"A further distancing between the concepts of "Tridentine Mass" and "Latin Mass" was brought about by the 1964 Instruction on implementing the Constitution on Sacred Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council, which laid down that "normally the epistle and gospel from the Mass of the day shall be read in the vernacular". Episcopal conferences were to decide, with the consent of the Holy See, what other parts, if any, of the Mass were to be celebrated in the vernacular.[4] Permissions were thus granted from 1967 onwards to celebrate most of the Tridentine Mass in vernacular languages, including the Canon.

"Roman Rite Mass in Latin[edit]

"Neither the Second Vatican Council nor the subsequent revision of the Roman Missal abolished Latin as the liturgical language of the Roman Rite: the official text of the Roman Missal, on which translations into vernacular languages are to be based, continues to be in Latin, and Latin can still be used in the celebration.[5] The term "Latin Mass" is sometimes applied to such celebrations, which in some places are part of the normal Sunday schedule."

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Mass

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

The entire mass in ecclesiastical Latin in the US has theological pros & cons - it's an ongoing conversation between cultural/theological conservatives & liberals in the church.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Quote from your linked article:

The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Correct in whose opinion?? the author's?? a Court's?? Was this statement handed down in some sort of lawsuit??
Nope and not even argued amongst first year law school students.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 AM

[quote=Oldglory;53324694]The 14th Amendment's wording is what is correct. It's not an opinion. It clearly states "and" subject to the jurisdiction. Why would there be a qualifier such as "and" if anyone born on our soil is automatically a birthright citizen? Illegal aliens mother's aren't subject to our full jurisdiction they like anyone else though are merely subject to our laws.

This will be taken up with the Supreme Court eventually and it should have been decades ago. It's just that many of our congress critters have been too PC themselves for decades now. There have been bills introduced to fix this but of course they get shot

Edited because i was rude. My apologies.

this isnt even remotely being challenged. The jurisdiction of the mother has absolutely no bearing on anything.

There were a few GOP senators who tried a few years ago with the same "full with holes" argument about Hispanic women coming here to give birth to stay illegally. They couldn't even get a first round committee hearing on it.

Next in order to even get to tge Supreme court there would need to be a lawsuit challenging it as unconstitutional. Which all hell would break loose because the original amendment was a result of Blacks being considered as 3/4 property and not having legal standing. Lol let me assure you that we are not about to let that happen again.
I don't know what to tell you about your fixation with illegal immigrants but the 14th amendment will go away right around the time the 2nd amendment gets abolished.

All I can say is good luck with that.

I will say I don't live in a border state so i don't have the same issues.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-10-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 AM

So to bring it back to the thread topic, for the near future your either going to get used to hearing spanish and being insulted or you'll get use to it.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 AM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Maybe I misunderstood. How to you propose to make people speak English in public if not by law?

If you just think they "Should" then that's your right to think they should. But the reality is no matter how much you think a person should do something (or how much you think it's rude for them to do or not do something), you have no control over it. I would say it's better to learn to cope with it, but I still get frustrated with slow walkers, people who speak loudly on their phones in public or (worse) people who meet you for a meal and then proceed to text or talk on their phones when you are sitting across from them. So I know it's hard to accept things that frustrate.

It's an opinion! I know it will never be illegal to speak a foreign language in public. Re-read the topic of this thread. It's meant for people for people to express their opinions on this matter and that's what myself and the rest of the posters including you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates