Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
She was wrong regardless of her political affiliation or her religious beliefs.
I'm not arguing that, I only share it to counter the notion by some that it's always Republicans who are the problem. Funny thing about partisanship: it is a bipartisan phenomenon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
I think that was more of the thing 3 years ago. Time goes on and us conservatives find other things to complain about.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It would be in most others Western countries, but the citizens of the US became really obedient, and tend to agree/suppress their feelings about many inconveniences or weird government rules imposed
on them.
I wish that you were wrong, but you are so right.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It's quiet obvious who the intolerant ones are in our country, all someone has to do is read this thread.

No, Republicans do NOT hate everyone nor should Kim be getting a lot of hate talk either. I think it's a disgrace that people who have religious views are attacked for them. Is that OK? NO.
The problem is Kim's religious views were interfering with the totally legal act that two people wanted to be recognized for.

I liken her views in that case to the religious views of say, the FLDS, when they think their religion gives them the right to forcibly marry and have sex with underage girls.

Your freedom from attack for your religious views cease the minute you make those views an excuse to make an attack on someone else in any way, shape, or form.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

Its especially weird for me that tolerance on gay rights has risen at a time when we have seen more controversy around race, gender, immigration, religion.
Have you really seen that where you live in real life? Because too often, controversies are just noise in the news or political cycle. In real day to day life, most communities and workplaces don't have controversies about any of those things. We all have respect for each other and tolerate individual differences.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Explain.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that law in Canada, and terms of law, are different than those in the US.

The term no-fault in this case is used by lawyers in Canada in the case of divorce.

The link I provided was from Canada's Department of Justice. I'm assuming they know and understand legal terms in Canada extremely well, and most likely better than you

I rest my case Bwhahaha.
I had stated earlier that I wasn't going to argue about the state of marriage in Canada, so I won't.

But that post also said that the details varied from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, which was my original point: A marriage license is a lousy contract, if the details vary from state to state or from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Jews have have a practice of what I'm talking about:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ct-Ketubah.htm

Notably, the Jewish wedding contract is not a religious document.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I had stated earlier that I wasn't going to argue about the state of marriage in Canada, so I won't.

But that post also said that the details varied from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, which was my original point: A marriage license is a lousy contract, if the details vary from state to state or from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Jews have have a practice of what I'm talking about:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ct-Ketubah.htm

Notably, the Jewish wedding contract is not a religious document.
Um, you stated no such thing. If I missed it please show me where in this thread that you said you weren't going to argue ( or discuss ) about the state of marriage in Canada. I don't see it. Mind you I'm tired right now.

What I do see is you asking what the grounds of divorce are in Canada. Then your saying " If it takes the application of a criterion, then it's not really "no-fault."

I simply responded that the Justice Department of Canada was my link and they use the term.

We can disagree on marriage being a lousy contract, but I'm guessing you feel that way because in your case you lost some important things, like custody of a child, in your divorce.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We can disagree on marriage being a lousy contract, but I'm guessing you feel that way because in your case you lost some important things, like custody of a child, in your divorce.
No, I didn't lose custody.

This is what happened:

My wife decided she no longer wanted to be either a wife or a mother. So she packed her stuff and left. Left the continental US, as a matter of fact, and left me with our 9-month-old son.

I filed for divorce three years later (by then it had become pretty clear she wasn't coming back). But to be honest, I was still kind of hoping the divorce proceedings would bring her back...but, nope.

At the divorce hearing, the judge looked at me and said, "I don't like fathers having custody. If the child's mother were in the state, I would order her to take custody. But if she ever returns to the state and wants custody, I will give it to her."

So that is my point: In the absence of no real contract, all a marriage license does is give a judge the power to do whatever he wants--even if neither party in the divorce wants it.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, I didn't lose custody.

This is what happened:

My wife decided she no longer wanted to be either a wife or a mother. So she packed her stuff and left. Left the continental US, as a matter of fact, and left me with our 9-month-old son.

I filed for divorce three years later (by then it had become pretty clear she wasn't coming back). But to be honest, I was still kind of hoping the divorce proceedings would bring her back...but, nope.

At the divorce hearing, the judge looked at me and said, "I don't like fathers having custody. If the child's mother were in the state, I would order her to take custody. But if she ever returns to the state and wants custody, I will give it to her."

So that is my point: In the absence of no real contract, all a marriage license does is give a judge the power to do whatever he wants--even if neither party in the divorce wants it.
You are lucky she never came back. To leave a 9 month old? What a disgusting and evil person. May she rot in hell, if there is such a place.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
No reason for outrage. Gays and lesbians deserve to be happy and have the opportunity for legal marriage too. Has your life drastically changed since it became legalized? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates