Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:56 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Why hasn't there be more of a backlash to the Supreme Court Ruling on Gay Marriage?

Generally, Supreme Court rulings on big divisive issues trigger backlashes. For example, many people feel that Roe V. Wade triggered a big backlash by taking a divisive issues out of the hands of elected state legislatures and instead was settled by unelected Federal judges in Washington.

Similar backlashes were seen on controversial rulings on prayer in school, affirmative action, desegregation, etc.

By contrast, the public has basically shrugged on federal judges mandating gay marriage rights. Even conservative activists seem to have moved on. No talk of litmus tests for Federal Judges or attempts at Constitutional amendments. Republican candidates don't even talk about it.
I seem to remember some conflict or I guess; “backlash” ... It’s listed as #2 on this “Top 10” list for the issues concerning the 2012 elections: https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...4-gas-prices-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There's no backlash from conservatives because it's not the big issue to us that liberals insist it is.

Liberals like to campaign on these issues that stir up their masses by insisting that conservatives believe this or that. They say we want to be in your bedroom and that we hate gays. It's just not true and now you see the proof, no outrage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ah, yes..conservative groups fighting for gay rights and marching in PRIDE parades and supporting equal marriage.

I remember it well
A lack of backlash doesn’t imply that anyone actively fights for you; it just means nobody actively fights against you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"Grounds for Divorce
Canada has no-fault divorce. The only ground for a divorce in the Divorce Act is marriage breakdown. The Divorce Act says you can show your marriage has broken down if any ONE of the following criteria applies to you:

1) You have been living apart for one year or more.
2) Your spouse has been physically or mentally cruel to you.
3) Your spouse has committed adultery.
If you apply for a divorce on the basis of a one-year separation, you can live together for up to 90 days (either before or after you file the application) to try to reconcile. If things do not work out, you can continue your action for divorce as if you had not spent the time together.
If it takes the application of a criterion, then it's not really "no-fault."

Old 10-09-2018, 06:20 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Because most people realize gay marriage hasn't affected them at all. So, no need for outrage. Who cares.
Yeah, I tend to agree that is the central reason along with the idea that lots of people have gay family and friends so there is a personal connection for many people that encouraged them to change their mind.

I support gay marriage and am pleased their is no backlash. But even I admit it is weird to see an issue go from fringe idea to fairly non-controversial in such as short period of time. Conservatives wanted a constitutional amendment and even liberals like Barack Obama were saying marriage is between a man and a women and CA voters opposed it.

Its especially weird for me that tolerance on gay rights has risen at a time when we have seen more controversy around race, gender, immigration, religion.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
People have become slowly more accepting of these things. Even those who are more religious seem to have a "live and let live" mindset about it, even if they don't necessarily "approve" of it.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Because most people realize gay marriage hasn't affected them at all. So, no need for outrage. Who cares.
This^^^^
I personally don't care if two gay people wanna get married. None of my business

Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
There wasn't more outrage because social attitudes, on this issue at least, were ahead of established governmental bodies. The mid-2000s surge of state constitution marriage amendment referendums happened mainly in the Midwest and the South. Only one or two liberal states had them. That says anti-gay-marriage was mostly a conservative issue in conservative states while less conservative states moved on.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well it’s not hard to believe since Republicans seem to hate everyone and only want for themselves.

Oh, the irony of this statement.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Why hasn't there be more of a backlash to the Supreme Court Ruling on Gay Marriage?

1. Because that ruling was issued in 2015, and 3 years is an eternity in the era of the 24 hour news cycle.

2. Because the institution of marriage had already been debased by things like no-fault divorce and the rising acceptance of unmarried couples living together.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,247 times
Quote:
By contrast, the public has basically shrugged on federal judges mandating gay marriage rights. Even conservative activists seem to have moved on. No talk of litmus tests for Federal Judges or attempts at Constitutional amendments. Republican candidates don't even talk about it.
Because the eye of the media - and the permanence and pervasiveness of the internet can sometimes be good things. Using these things the once craddled and coddled opinions of religiously driven despots have been dragged out into the light and confronted - found wanting - and the people against things like gay marriage are clever enough at last to know they fought a losing battle and to keep fighting it will serve only to have them continue to look like the losers.

Frankly there have only been a small handful of arguments presented against homosexuality and-or gay marriage. And they have always been very weak arguments at best. And since the internet and the eye of the media have more and more in recent years shone their attentions on those arguments - they have been exposed as being the wanting and vacuous nonsense that they always were. Even the DSM removed it and - to my knowledge - has never managed to muster an argument as to why it was ever there in the first place.

There simply is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Nor morally. Not ethically. Not spiritually. Not socially. Not emotionally. There is simply nothing wrong with homosexual people being afforded the institution of marriage either.

So why should we expect the last stragglers of a dying regime to keep fighting a well lost battle? Even in my own home country of Ireland recently - a historically catholic driven country - the numbers of voters supporting homosexual marriage and the right to abortion has surprised even me.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:27 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
It's quiet obvious who the intolerant ones are in our country, all someone has to do is read this thread.

No, Republicans do NOT hate everyone nor should Kim be getting a lot of hate talk either. I think it's a disgrace that people who have religious views are attacked for them. Is that OK? NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates