Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:20 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

The current same sex marriage fight reminds me of the documented stories of the Muhammad Ali versus Ernie Terrell "what's my name" fight. With one side hitting the other over and over while shouting call us married. Except now the Ernie Terrell in the fight had thrown in the towel long ago but are being hunted done and hit with calls of "call me married" and participate in my marriage ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It's quiet obvious who the intolerant ones are in our country, all someone has to do is read this thread.

No, Republicans do NOT hate everyone nor should Kim be getting a lot of hate talk either. I think it's a disgrace that people who have religious views are attacked for them. Is that OK? NO.
The best part about her being brought up is she was actually a Democrat at the time she denied the same sex marriage license. She has since changed her affiliation.

https://www.advocate.com/election/20...ins-reelection

Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
The LGBT community makes up maybe 1% - 3% of the U.S. population, and that is being generous. Outside of the Media, and Entertainment industry, and their portrayals/promotion, they are largely IRRELEVANT to Americans.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Because most people realize gay marriage hasn't affected them at all. So, no need for outrage. Who cares.
Exactly this.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:43 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I think most people realize that gays can't screw up marriage any more than straights have. I do wonder about the gays that used to have an excuse that they couldn't get married when they really didn't want to but would never tell their partner that. That may have caused a few breakups.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
My opinion is that there is not a backlash because it simply does not affect MOST people, and I think that if a court decision doesn't affect someone personally, s/he will just shrug it off AFTER it becomes fact. Before then, though, I think more people speak up, either for or against something if they have a strong opinion about it, because they hope that if another people make their opinions known, it will affect the decision.

In the case of unpopular wars or the school busing issue of the past, these issues continued to generate protests because these DID continue to affect many people personally -- OR as in the case of Roe vs. Wade, for example, because they feel it is morally wrong and/or against the teachings of their religion.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If it takes the application of a criterion, then it's not really "no-fault."
Explain.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that law in Canada, and terms of law, are different than those in the US.

The term no-fault in this case is used by lawyers in Canada in the case of divorce.

The link I provided was from Canada's Department of Justice. I'm assuming they know and understand legal terms in Canada extremely well, and most likely better than you

I rest my case Bwhahaha.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-10-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It's quiet obvious who the intolerant ones are in our country, all someone has to do is read this thread.

No, Republicans do NOT hate everyone nor should Kim be getting a lot of hate talk either. I think it's a disgrace that people who have religious views are attacked for them. Is that OK? NO.
Some might have been intolerant of her faith, but that wasn't the issue.

I can't believe it has to be explained.

The issue was that she was NOT doing the job she promised to do in her position. She refused to do the job because of her religious beliefs. She was fired for that. She can go and fry burgers for all anyone cares, but when you are a public servant, you DON'T get to pick and choose what you do based on personal beliefs.

Highly unlikely, but imagine it the other way around.

A straight couple walks in and is refused a marriage license that they are legally entitled to, but are refused because the person behind the counter has some personal beliefs they shouldn't.

Whose side would you be on then, and who would you be calling intolerant??

Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The best part about her being brought up is she was actually a Democrat at the time she denied the same sex marriage license. She has since changed her affiliation.

https://www.advocate.com/election/20...ins-reelection
She was wrong regardless of her political affiliation or her religious beliefs.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM

I like what Danish journalist, Flemming Rose said.

"If a believer demands that I, as a non-believer observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.
And that is incomparable with a secular democracy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates