Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's so wrong as to be silly.

There were plenty of black actors, singers, and musicians available. The fact is that they weren't allowed to perform before whites (although some were allowed to perform in blackface, as long as they did the same kind of racist parody of blacks as the white actors did in blackface).

By the end of the 50s that had been tucked under cover because everyone knew it wasn't cool. Disney and Warner Bros had already iceboxed their old racist depictions of blacks. No, it wasn't still considered acceptable in ordinary entertainment by the end of the 50s.

The problem was that she said, "What's wrong with it?"
So let me ask your opinion on something -- should Disney re-release in some way "Song Of The South"?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So let me ask your opinion on something -- should Disney re-release in some way "Song Of The South"?
The Brer Rabbit fables themselves are actually Ghanian in origin. There are lessons in those stories that Ghanian women taken as slaves thought necessary to pass on to their children--lessons in dealing those who hold power over you.

I'd like to see those fables rehabilitated and told with a different narrative frame.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The Brer Rabbit fables themselves are actually Ghanian in origin. There are lessons in those stories that Ghanian women taken as slaves thought necessary to pass on to their children--lessons in dealing those who hold power over you.

I'd like to see those fables rehabilitated and told with a different narrative frame.
Okay...but that didn't answer my question.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Okay...but that didn't answer my question.
Sure it did. I'd like to see those fables rehabilitated and told with a different narrative frame.

That would be: "Not the same narrative frame."

Old 11-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Sure it did. I'd like to see those fables rehabilitated and told with a different narrative frame.

That would be: "Not the same narrative frame."
Do you think the Disney film should be banned?

(And btw, you could have preferred that the stores be "rehabilitate", but still like to see the Disney film re-released). At least I'd like to see both.

To me, when you show a film like "Song Of The South" or "Birth Of A Nation" you teach a valuable lesson...just not the lesson that was perhaps initially intended.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,166 times
[quote=ThisTown123;53516096]Happy Halloween...and thus the jist of this post...

"So now, not only the action is offensive,but there are consequences of voicing said opinion NOT in favor of the unpopular opinion."

Basically too many things are not being dealt with calmly. We are not in calm times. Many people fear a reaction so they make a decision based on the fear. Like "we don;t want to be seen as racist so we will fire this person rather than have a dialog". This has been happening on & off forever but seems to have gotten worse.

I am "white", my husband Hispanic and one Halloween I wanted to go as "something black" in the vague, spooky sense, so I did. I had a black face and I did go to a parade and a black guy asked me what I was (and rightly so-why not?) and I told him, I am "something black". He did not look very happy, but I was not going as a "black person".

I returned to my husband and told him about the convo and he said "well you know you look like a person in "blackface". I felt rather bad because that was not my intention. I like to think we are intellectual enough to see the nuances of things.

In the Nethrelands they wear a type of black face for a celebration. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...he-netherlands

They are feeling pressure to change and have a bit, good for them.

I see all sides and to me it is all about compromise and respect.

Back to your original line "So now, not only the action is offensive,but there are consequences of voicing said opinion NOT in favor of the unpopular opinion." yes, a lot of people do not want to hear the variety of opinions, "people fear a reaction so they make a decision based on the fear. Like "we don;t want to be seen as racist so we will fire this person rather than have a dialog""

Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
I don't think this is just a problem by being overly PC. It's also a problem when we don't let anyone say or do anything that doesn't follow the PC line. It's like the KKK having a parade permit. So many people get upset because the KKK and the Aryan Nation are allowed to get a permit for a parade, but that's part and parcel of living in a free country. Our laws of freedom cover everyone who lives here, whether they're people we disagree with or not.

What we're doing now with all the PC repercussions is akin to denying a group like the KKK their parade permit. We may not agree with what people say, but they have a right to say it and they have a right to say it without retaliation. And nobody has ever changed a person's belief by not letting them express it.

What's worse, when we start driving people "underground" because they don't feel as if they can safely say what they think, we're creating the problem of future secret societies. Eventually the lid blows off and all these people come out and the rest of us are left asking, "Where did they all come from?" Well, if we'd let them voice their opinions - and that's all they are is opinions - we'd know where and why these people are the way they are.

No one's opinions should ever be silenced, no matter how hurtful they are. No one is making you agree with those opinions.

And no one should ever have to worry about losing their job because of something they do off the clock. My employer doesn't pay me 24/7. He only pays me for the time I spend working for him and that's the only time he should be able to control my thoughts and my mouth. When I'm on my own time, I think what I want and say what I like. I am the boss's employee, not his 24 hour slave. It's not called "freedom of speech only when it's allowed by your employer".

Old 11-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:

To me, when you show a film like "Song Of The South" or "Birth Of A Nation" you teach a valuable lesson...just not the lesson that was perhaps initially intended.
In a classroom setting, perhaps. Otherwise, a segment of the audience will merely say, "Yay! They're presenting our point of view now!"

Old 11-06-2018, 09:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that SassyBluesy is correct when s/he said, "And her comment came off sounding either obtuse to the times she lives in, or purposely stirring a pot." However, I disagree with Kelly's bosses that the offense was bad enough for her to lose her job over it.

It seems to me that everyone is under the eye of the collective "Thought Police", and one expresses an opinion about ANYTHING at his or her peril. Orwell's 1984 comes very much to my mind when I read reports and threads like these.
Orwell's "1984" introduced a lot of terms and concepts that are more relevant today than many people realize.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Actually, no, because knowingly upending social custom is their profession, and has been for several hundred years. They wear blackface ironically.
Bingo. Take Sarah Silverman, who caught a lot of slack for her blackface skit... she was talking about it on Howard Stern the other day, and (in addition to saying it's the most regrettable moment in her career) explained it was supposed to represent "the stereotypical ignorant liberal who thinks they're making a statement; when it's actually even more offensive than the issue they supposedly abhor." To paraphrase.

Context is everything, people. So if you're going to play the "whataboutism" game, at least do a little research on the context and background of said incident before comparing. Also, the poster who used The Daily Caller as their source (in regards to Jimmy Kimmel & Fallon) needs to check biases before posting. That "publication" is as far-right as they come; makes HuffPost and FOX News look moderate and balanced, lol. I'm not calling it fake news, but it's always best to use a source people won't automatically discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates