Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 PM

661 posts, read 521,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Where did you get the idea that Americans have freedom of speech?.

"Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech",

Anybody else can abridge freedom of speech -- only Congress can't. i
If I own a printer or a microphone or a soap-box, I can abridge whatever I want.
If anybody is abridging my freedom of speech or expression whether that is congress or some other group, I would argue that your right to abridge that from me stops where my own rights begin. Especially if the charge is based on an arbitrary or fringe standard. Counter-speech goes both ways. Today it commonly takes the form of a witch-hunt mob looking for or persecuting somebody with a public unpopular opinion by getting them fired or knocked down from their platform. Regular non-public people might be next.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
Again, as Trump supporter, would you hire an anti-Trump lawn guy who wants to mow your grass in a "Dump Trump" t-shirt?

He does a good job for a good fee I could care less what he wears.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Again, as Trump supporter, would you hire an anti-Trump lawn guy who wants to mow your grass in a "Dump Trump" t-shirt?

He does a good job for a good fee I could care less what he wears.
Are you replying to me or somebody else in this topic?

Old 02-01-2019, 03:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Are we reaching a point in time where someone could be arrested for saying something offensive (that's not a threat, just offensive)? Or, say, wearing a MAGA hat?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Are we reaching a point in time where someone could be arrested for saying something offensive (that's not a threat, just offensive)? Or, say, wearing a MAGA hat?
Don’t know if this counts Priscilla, but in Hull, East Yorkshire, U.K. recently, it was reported in a local paper, the Hull Daily Mail, that a guy saw a limerick on Facebook, allegedly detrimental to the LGBT community, and “liked” it.
A cop came to him, and told him that he was being investigated by Humberside Police, for his ‘thinking.’
He asked the cop if he’d committed a crime, and was told, “No, but you “liked” the limerick, and promoted it, that’s not a crime, but it will be recorded as a hate incident.”
The thought police are alive and well.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
If anybody is abridging my freedom of speech or expression whether that is congress or some other group, I would argue that your right to abridge that from me stops where my own rights begin. Especially if the charge is based on an arbitrary or fringe standard. Counter-speech goes both ways. Today it commonly takes the form of a witch-hunt mob looking for or persecuting somebody with a public unpopular opinion by getting them fired or knocked down from their platform. Regular non-public people might be next.
If I own a microphone and you tell me you have a right to speak into it, I have a right to say "No you don't". And I will win that standoff., I hold the constitutional trump card. You can say what you want in a pubic space, but good luck finding a public space where there is anyone who will listen.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-01-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Don’t know if this counts Priscilla, but in Hull, East Yorkshire, U.K. recently, it was reported in a local paper, the Hull Daily Mail, that a guy saw a limerick on Facebook, allegedly detrimental to the LGBT community, and “liked” it.
A cop came to him, and told him that he was being investigated by Humberside Police, for his ‘thinking.’
He asked the cop if he’d committed a crime, and was told, “No, but you “liked” the limerick, and promoted it, that’s not a crime, but it will be recorded as a hate incident.”
The thought police are alive and well.
Now I wonder why nobody who *opposes* LGBT have complained about "hate speech". I tend to see only that and *supporting* LGBT as having a correlation, but not inverse.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:12 PM

Isn't it "hate speech" to accuse someone of being a racist?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Isn't it "hate speech" to accuse someone of being a racist?
Yes, it can be hateful or ignorant to accuse someone of being a racist.

This isn't really the point, but what I am more concerned about is that these "hate speech" prosecutes have developed a mob mentality.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Yes, it can be hateful or ignorant to accuse someone of being a racist.

This isn't really the point, but what I am more concerned about is that these "hate speech" prosecutes have developed a mob mentality.
Worse, they have an "on-off" mentality' If your position is not just as shrill as their own, you are classified as being an extremist at the polar opposite fringe.

I'm not worried, they have alienated practically all the traditional left, who have grown to see them for who they are. Their mob is getting smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates