Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Isn't racial discrimination in the workplace and educational institutions a violation of your Constitutional rights? Either way, it's weakened our country.

Some might say the country became instantly weakened by allowing itself to bring in tribal people of a different race to work in the cotton fields. That sure did not stop anyone from moving ahead to make a profit. Anyhow, wages go lower when the blacks come in because of course they are less qualified and not as friendly and favorable in the public eye as whites..... At least those lower wages do save money for businesses. Getting things done on the cheap matters more than all else.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems as if you, and many of your fellows are very concerned about racial discrimination when you feel you're on the short end of the stick, but not very concerned over the decades...actually I guess I should say centuries...of discrimination against people not like you.

In my view, you miss the principle involved.
I'm doing very well, thank you. I don't feel as if I've been 'shorted' in any way, shape or form.

Two wrongs do not make a right. I'm concerned with the best person for the job getting that job.

It's sad that some people still live in 1955.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Some might say the country became instantly weakened by allowing itself to bring in tribal people of a different race to work in the cotton fields. That sure did not stop anyone from moving ahead to make a profit. Anyhow, wages go lower when the blacks come in because of course they are less qualified and not as friendly and favorable in the public eye as whites..... At least those lower wages do save money for businesses. Getting things done on the cheap matters more than all else.
This has nothing to do with the hiring of law enforcement, fire fighters, municipal workers, government workers and teachers.
I want the best person for the job.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yeah we all can see the attempts to remedy the "all white' cast of TV shows that were so common in the first days of TV. And, seeing as how there isn't any other way to do that without having actors from all races appearing regularly, what would you suggest as an alternative?

Re: "perceived injustices." That's some dodgy wording considering that the term "injustice" seems to be a polite form of reference when discussing lynchings and the sundry of other atrocities brought to American black folks by the likes of the KKK, the police, and vigilante groups-- all with the support of our government..

Re: "without ensuring that five totally different ethnic/racial/gender/etc. stereotypes get 'equal time." Back in the first days of TV it was just the opposite, an all white cast, but maybe that was an innocent bit of ---thoughtlessness? No, it was blatant discrimination, but many may have thought about that era as the good o'l days..
You can see it was more than "thoughlessness" in the couple of programs that thought of it now and then, such as The Twilight Zone, which had a couple of episodes centered around black characters, more with black characters in the background, and even one with a black character as a computer scientist. But that was science fiction.

And then there was the Jack Benny Show, which very cleverly presented a black character as the only sensible character--the "Everyman"--in the show. Every other character, including Jack Benny himself, played a fool. (If you're old enough to recall the later 70s program "Benson," it was similar to the Jack Benny show).

But those were outliers that prove your point by their contrast against the norm. Other than that, America in television was a nearly all-white planet.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the hiring of law enforcement, fire fighters, municipal workers, government workers and teachers.
I want the best person for the job.

No complaints then about minorities on welfare since they are never the best person for any job?

Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'm doing very well, thank you. I don't feel as if I've been 'shorted' in any way, shape or form.

Two wrongs do not make a right. I'm concerned with the best person for the job getting that job.

The people born in 1955 are still in control of American industry, media, and politics. We were raised on virtually a different planet, but we're still in control of this one.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-24-2019 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You can see it was more than "thoughlessness" in the couple of programs that thought of it now and then, such as The Twilight Zone, which had a couple of episodes centered around black characters, more with black characters in the background, and even one with a black character as a computer scientist. But that was science fiction.

And then there was the Jack Benny Show, which very cleverly presented a black character as the only sensible character--the "Everyman"--in the show. Every other character, including Jack Benny himself, played a fool. (If you're old enough to recall the later 70s program "Benson," it was similar to the Jack Benny show).

But those were outliers that prove your point by their contrast against the norm. Other than that, America in television was a nearly all-white planet.

Entertainment consumption, as almost all else in western society, has been created by whites, for whites. Black people living all around the planet exist as political pawns and that's about it.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Entertainment consumption, as almost all else in western society, has been created by whites, for whites. Black people living all around the planet exist as political pawns and that's about it.
Over the last 75 years, "entertainment" been the foundation understanding of the world of most Americans, if not most of the West.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
No complaints then about minorities on welfare since they are never the best person for any job?
I never said that ... A person of any race or gender can be the best person for the job.

You're really reaching here.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:36 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

You're right in that two wrongs don't make a right.

But tell me...what does make right 4 centuries since the first slave was kidnapped and brought here?

If you put all the injustices over those 400 years on one side of the scales, and "all" the things done to make up for it on the other side of the scale....there's a terrible imbalance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates