Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
This has nothing to do with the hiring of law enforcement, fire fighters, municipal workers, government workers and teachers.
I want the best person for the job.
The "best person for the job" is often a very nebulous thing.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:54 PM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right in that two wrongs don't make a right.

But tell me...what does make right 4 centuries since the first slave was kidnapped and brought here?

If you put all the injustices over those 400 years on one side of the scales, and "all" the things done to make up for it on the other side of the scale....there's a terrible imbalance.
Most were sold or traded by other Africans, they're responsible too.

I'm not really concerned about 400 years ago, it's 2019, that's what concerns me. I want things to be the best they can be right now.

My family didn't come here until 1900, I'm not full of guilt like you. And don't give me a history lesson, I know all about it and I'm aware that some had it harder than others.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Stop treating and talking about African-Americans like they're your pets, like they need you to help them survive - they don't.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Most were sold or traded by other Africans, they're responsible too.

I'm not really concerned about 400 years ago, it's 2019, that's what concerns me. I want things to be the best they can be right now.

My family didn't come here until 1900, I'm not full of guilt like you. And don't give me a history lesson, I know all about it and I'm aware that some had it harder than others.
Well, America can't do anything about people and cultures in Africa that do things that are disgusting. But we are -- or should be -- responsible for what our nation and its people did. People -- like you -- should stop excusing our culture.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Well, America can't do anything about people and cultures in Africa that do things that are disgusting. But we are -- or should be -- responsible for what our nation and its people did. People -- like you -- should stop excusing our culture.
I'm not going to excuse the fact that America ended slavery here ... People - like you - should stop living in the past by treating black people like they're inferior. White people like you are why we still have racial issues in this country.
I like and get along well with black people, it's the ghetto-trash-types I despise. Do you know the difference?
BTW, I want nothing to do with uncivilized, rude, loud, violent white trash, either. Same goes for the low-class of any race or religion.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I wish that phrase would go away, because many times, the best person for the job is often a family member or friend or somebody along the network. The 'best person for the job' limits a person to learning a particular skill without thinking about interactions with others.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
I'm not going to excuse the fact that America ended slavery here ... People - like you - should stop living in the past by treating black people like they're inferior. White people like you are why we still have racial issues in this country.
I like and get along well with black people, it's the ghetto-trash-types I despise. Do you know the difference?
BTW, I want nothing to do with uncivilized, rude, loud, violent white trash, either. Same goes for the low-class of any race or religion.
No, white people like this is the reason we still have racial issues in this country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally

Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I wish that phrase would go away, because many times, the best person for the job is often a family member or friend or somebody along the network. The 'best person for the job' limits a person to learning a particular skill without thinking about interactions with others.
There are frequently several people who are approximately equal in terms of actually doing the job, and a non-merit discriminator determines the actual selection.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, white people like this is the reason we still have racial issues in this country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally
What about the black (New Black Panther Party, BLM, etc) and brown (La Raza) hate groups? Do they not count?

Stop bowing down to your liberal/progressive white masters, Ralph.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
What about the black (New Black Panther Party, BLM, etc) and brown (La Raza) hate groups? Do they not count?
They're reacting to you.

Quote:
Stop bowing down to your liberal/progressive white masters, Ralph.
I have had a gang of angry white men at my front door before. I know who the bad guys in this story are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates