Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times

Advertisements

I watched the recent movie 'Harriet' last night (about Harriet Tubman) and I saw all the people involved in the Underground Railroad back in the days of southern slavery, and it got me wondering if people today would be willing to do such a thing, (break laws, refuse to comply, disobedience, etc) if they felt strongly about it.

Im also wondering about Trump and if this impeachment succeeds...will his supporters stand up and fight, or will they do nothing that involves risk. This would be a major turning point for the US as a whole,if the people basically accepted a 'coup' of the US govt and complied with the 'new leaders', what does that say about America? On the other hand, if they stand up and fight, this would involve fighting with law enforcement, possibly the military...They better hope they win at the end of the day!!

Id like to think I would do the RIGHT thing in these scenarios, especially with slavery, how horrible it was and yet, IT WAS THE LAW OF THE LAND at that time, comparing that to modern times, would be like a person refusing to comply with laws, lying to authorities, even fighting with authorities, etc.

Imo, many people today would not be willing to do anything that involved risk, or compromised their own quality of life, freedom, income, etc, instead, they would have 'peaceful protests' letter writing campaigns, trying to LEGALLY change laws.

I think its important to remember, Harriet Tubman is recognized as a hero and patriot today...but if slavery was not outlawed, she would have went down in history as nothing more than a common criminal, the same thing is true for all the other patriots and heroes of history...if things went the other way...they would have been viewed as traitors, terrorists, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 PM

1,991 posts, read 902,099 times
No. You are not the modern day equivalent of Harriet Tubman.

/thread.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
No. You are not the modern day equivalent of Harriet Tubman.

/thread.
I didnt claim to be, but since we are on the topic, would you care to name some people that you think, MAY be celebrated and recognized in years to come, (for their risky actions today)?Or if you believe our time period will not produce ANY people like this?

Ive said before, I think people who refuse to comply with drug laws today will be recognized for this at some point in time, Im not trying to say drug dealers are patriots, because that is NOT why they sell drugs...but when you look at it from a certain perspective, their actions do meet the criteria, (they are willing to break current laws that they think are wrong)...

All those people that took part in and helped to built the Underground railroad...they were willing to break laws of the land for something they believed was wrong. Im sure plenty of people that knew what they were doing, told them to just OBEY the law, if you want to change laws, go about it the 'right' way, turns out though, that was the wrong thing to do.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,887,238 times
People break laws or ignore them all the time, but it's usually not justified or done for the right reasons.

There are various laws I don't agree with, but I can't think any law as written being egregious enough that it's fully justified to break it or to ignore it. I'm not saying it necessarily some big wrong to break some laws, just that it's not something ethically or morally justified.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 977,427 times
I would. Heck...way back during slavery, my family was shunned because they helped blacks escape slavery. And yes, a white family. (I also have 3% African DNA). And I guess that was considered breaking a law way back when. Family was forced to move away from the area.

There's a moral obligation to do the right thing. Granted for some, their "right way of things" are not good.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
People break laws or ignore them all the time, but it's usually not justified or done for the right reasons.

There are various laws I don't agree with, but I can't think any law as written being egregious enough that it's fully justified to break it or to ignore it. I'm not saying it necessarily some big wrong to break some laws, just that it's not something ethically or morally justified.
I think drug laws meet the criteria, I am constantly hearing about people that have lost their ability to get pain medicine from their doctors, thanks to new drug laws, but they do not seem to know what to do about it, they vote for different people, and write their congressmen/senators, but no one touches or changes these laws.

The most serious violation with this, is that allows govt to know what medicine you are receiving, and what you are being treated for, that is something that should be between doctor and patient, and is protected by HIPA, When I was at a pain doctor, I never authorized any govt agency to know the details of my treatment, and I had to fill out the HIPA form, there are sections you can list names of people that you allow to know your details.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I watched the recent movie 'Harriet' last night (about Harriet Tubman) and I saw all the people involved in the Underground Railroad back in the days of southern slavery, and it got me wondering if people today would be willing to do such a thing, (break laws, refuse to comply, disobedience, etc) if they felt strongly about it.
People only do when they are VERY oppressed and they think there's hope that change will happen.
If change doesn't happen after some time, they give up.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
People only do when they are VERY oppressed and they think there's hope that change will happen.
If change doesn't happen after some time, they give up.
Many of the people 'working' the underground railroad were very prominent, wealthy and well respected members of society...and yet they still took a HUGE risk and broke the law each time they harbored someone or helped someone escape and move north.

Or the wealthy, well respected Germans (and others),who hid Jewish people and committed other crimes against the Nazi party...I have great respect for anyone willingly committing a crime under Nazi rule!!! Its amazing to me, the amount of risk involved and so many people were willing to break the law, people are just not like this today, more concerned with their own quality of life, they want to avoid being arrested AT ALL costs, even if that means compromising on their beliefs.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,346,660 times
Tying slavery and people rebelling against it to Trump and his quid pro quo or any other items which landed several close to him in Federal prison recently would be a false equivalence.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think drug laws meet the criteria, I am constantly hearing about people that have lost their ability to get pain medicine from their doctors, thanks to new drug laws, but they do not seem to know what to do about it, they vote for different people, and write their congressmen/senators, but no one touches or changes these laws.
How DO you change these laws?...when you deal with constant pain it's hard to think about how to change a ridiculous law....
As for what to do about it...you do the same as the addicts do...you get them "illegally", and you might as well because you're given no more considerations for your medical problem than the addicts are for their addiction.
It's a sad fact, but sometimes the only way for people dealing with real physical pain...especially now that most Docs are afraid to give their patients what they KNOW would help them...thanks to these new laws and the DEA breathing down their backs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates