Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,253,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Tying slavery and people rebelling against it to Trump and his quid pro quo or any other items which landed several close to him in Federal prison recently would be a false equivalence.
Thanks, You nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM

19,069 posts, read 27,648,953 times
OP, do you really see those folks getting into actual fight?

Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
No. You are not the modern day equivalent of Harriet Tubman.

/thread.
LOL. My thoughts exactly.

No, Trump supporters are NOT the equivalent of slaves. Good lord. The victimization is strong with this one.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,041,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I watched the recent movie 'Harriet' last night (about Harriet Tubman) and I saw all the people involved in the Underground Railroad back in the days of southern slavery, and it got me wondering if people today would be willing to do such a thing, (break laws, refuse to comply, disobedience, etc) if they felt strongly about it.

Im also wondering about Trump and if this impeachment succeeds...will his supporters stand up and fight, or will they do nothing that involves risk. This would be a major turning point for the US as a whole,if the people basically accepted a 'coup' of the US govt and complied with the 'new leaders', what does that say about America? On the other hand, if they stand up and fight, this would involve fighting with law enforcement, possibly the military...They better hope they win at the end of the day!!

Id like to think I would do the RIGHT thing in these scenarios, especially with slavery, how horrible it was and yet, IT WAS THE LAW OF THE LAND at that time, comparing that to modern times, would be like a person refusing to comply with laws, lying to authorities, even fighting with authorities, etc.

Imo, many people today would not be willing to do anything that involved risk, or compromised their own quality of life, freedom, income, etc, instead, they would have 'peaceful protests' letter writing campaigns, trying to LEGALLY change laws.

I think its important to remember, Harriet Tubman is recognized as a hero and patriot today...but if slavery was not outlawed, she would have went down in history as nothing more than a common criminal, the same thing is true for all the other patriots and heroes of history...if things went the other way...they would have been viewed as traitors, terrorists, etc!
If Trump was evicted, I would help spread the truth about him and help his reelection. I wouldnt go to the street and fight police or military though, which will be stupid to say the least. I am not brave and stupid enough to face the mightiest force in the history of mankind.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,132,264 times
A lot depends on whether the political environment shifts into areas that violate our basic rights as defined by the Bill of Rights and Constitution.

In the last 5 years it seems more people are being OK with violations of the Amendment 4, 5, 6 and 10.
- #4 as the blurring of lines between Silicon Valley and the our Federal Government continues.
- And if 5 and 6 continues to track the way it is now where everyone is automatically guilty based on twitter feeds and executed over social media.
- #10 If the masses keep clamoring for a centralized government and take more decisions away from the states, cities and counties.

Eventually there will eventually be push back and it may be violent. Especially with the media in the state it's in currently which is truth doesn't matter... only being first matters. Eventually people will feel they are being unheard. It's just not going to end well.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:06 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,736,948 times
The exhortation to fight, rarely comes from the downtrodden classes. The marquee revolutionaries of modern times came from the gentry, the junior aristocracy, the disaffected officer corps, the ambitious and the well-educated who felt themselves to be stymied in trying to rise higher. Grunts might man the barricades, but those who spur them on, were raised to wear spurs from early childhood. Lenin, Napoleon, Castro - all were born into comparative privilege.

The secret-sauce of American stability is that the privileged generally remain so. Property-rights remain solid. Meritocracy is porous and hypocritical, but has enough truth and substance to it, that ambitious agitators would do better by working within the system, than by seeking its downfall.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:30 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,089 times
Most people think they would 'stand up and fight' in times of moral crises.

History has show that, in fact, most people will not.

And, yes, the comparison of the conflict over slavery to present politics is beyond silly.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
Like others have said, there can be no comparison between rebelling against slavery to a willingness to break laws on behalf of a politician in today's world. The risks were not even in the same ballpark. There is no law today, at least in the US, that says one person owns another. There won't be anyone, save for maybe a few crazies, who will risk their lives in support of Trump if he gets impeached. Again, not even in the same ballpark as the issue of slavery.

Refusing to comply with law, lying or fighting with authorities aren't comparable in the least to fighting against slavery back when it was legal in the US.

Of course people still take risks. Being that laws have given more people equal rights, the risks probably aren't as great today but there are always people willing to take risks to do what they think is right.

You also have to remember, the vast, vast majority of slaves did nothing extraordinary to try to free themselves or protest their conditions. They were much too scared and conditioned to do so. For those slaves that did fight the system to gain their freedom, I can't think of anything comparable today. It would require an incredible amount of courage and risk taking.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,006,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im also wondering about Trump and if this impeachment succeeds...will his supporters stand up and fight, or will they do nothing...
I find all this impeachment crap awful and ridiculous. I didn't support Trump and voted against him, but I would like to see people work for the good of the country and stop this two party garbage! I learned a lot about people after he got elected. I learned that a lot more people are racist and sexist than I ever imagined. I quit the democratic party due to how hate filled it is. It was an eyeopener. I wouldn't fight physically unless I had to, but I will vote accordingly and I doubt it will be for a democrat this next election.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:18 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I find all this impeachment crap awful and ridiculous. I didn't support Trump and voted against him, but I would like to see people work for the good of the country and stop this two party garbage! I learned a lot about people after he got elected. I learned that a lot more people are racist and sexist than I ever imagined. I quit the democratic party due to how hate filled it is. It was an eyeopener. I wouldn't fight physically unless I had to, but I will vote accordingly and I doubt it will be for a democrat this next election.
Read up on the Constitution because you sound ignorant of what the very serious issues even are. Turn off Fixed News and watch the live testimony next week of career military and others who have devoted their lives to service of country and served under both parties without prejudice, some hand-picked by Trump. Learn why they are speaking out and why as they brought their concerns up the chain of command they were left with no choice but to go public. Hopefully you will see the real facts vs the “alternative facts” as Kelly Ann likes to call them, and why what this administration has done and continues to do threatens our republic unlike anything we have seen in modern history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates