Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times

Advertisements

As a gay man, I'm not sure what if any evolutionary benefit homosexuality convays. It is most likely just a human trait that happens for no good reason. Intellectually it would be interesting to know why humans are the way they are. But, from a practical standpoint, I think and hope we are quickly getting to a place where people think that we should all be treated with dignity and equality regardless of sexual orientation, race, gender, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 06:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then what if a family had 4 children and 3 turned out to be gay. Why didn't all 4 turn out to be gay, since they have much the same environmental and psychological factors?
My spouse is an identical twin, and he and his brother pretty much had the same upbringing. He turned out gay and his brother is straight. It's a mystery to both of them, but it is what it is.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:08 PM

1,140 posts, read 449,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
There is no advantage for any human "condition" when you don't pass on genes. I can't say with any certainty, but as I understand homosexuality, homosexuals don't genetically produce more homosexuals.
But they might if two same sex homosexuals could have a baby? This is an issue that has been debated for years, and I don't think there is any definitive answer on whether it is is a genetic condition that can be passed on or not. I assume the reason more is not known for sure, is that they do not have a large group of gay men and lesbian women who have mated producing kids to study.

To truly understand anything you need a large group of subjects to study. While I am sure some homosexual couples mate because one or both desire a child, I don't think it is a common enough occurrence to use for statistical data.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:00 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
There are more scenarios than this, and I often say that "programming is stronger than wiring" when it comes to indicators of what human beings will actually DO in life.

A given child might adhere to its parents' teachings, or rebel against them. Subtle factors and learned information, amounts of attention or affection given or withheld, a lot of bits play into that.

So I know a man named Rob, who is now in his mid-60's I would guess. Rob was a gay man who had only ever had gay relations during his teens and young adulthood. But he kept that a secret from his family and most other people. Back then, being gay was dangerous, and Rob was not the sort of person that you could really tell from his voice or mannerisms that there is anything out of the ordinary about him. In fact if you met him, he is a wealthy upper class well educated professional and you would never think that he's into the things he's into. But I digress. Not only did Rob hide his nature from everyone, Rob also wanted very badly to be someone that his family could love and be proud of, and to have children of his own to raise one day.

So Rob got married. And for decades, Rob tried to suppress his desires, often "coping" in the bottom of a bottle. He became a very problematic alcoholic...it didn't wreck his career, but it seriously strained relations between him and his family. Eventually, a few years back, he found the particular community of which you know I am a part. And while he stopped short of full on sex that would be cheating on his wife, he did indulge in some cross dressing and other kinds of expression, and most importantly he opened up and told the truth to a bunch of people. The sort of people who would accept him and not judge him. And he got sober, and began trying to repair his relationships with his family. (His wife, and four kids.)

Unfortunately by that point his wife had become a born-again evangelical Christian, and she did inevitably find out that he was going to this club. She refused to hear anything in explanation or to go to the club or meet anyone, her mind was made up. This was surely the work of Satan himself, and if her husband did not immediately turn away from his perversity, she would divorce him. His oldest son also told him that if this happened, he would blame his father entirely and would never speak to him again.

So Rob stopped coming to the club, because he didn't want to lose his family. And we, his friends and givers of moral support, were only worried about whether he was OK, as he gave the community credit for his sobriety, we were all afraid he would start drinking again. Well, fortunately, we did get word from him recently after probably almost 2 years of silence, and we know that he's OK and still sober.

There is a person saying that a "true gay" won't be able to have sex with someone of the opposite sex. I think that's nonsense. People tolerate relationships where they are miserable and not attracted to their partners all the time. Sometimes there can be affection but no attraction, sometimes a person can force themselves to have sex with someone they don't really desire. It happens in straight marriages ALL THE TIME, so of course it can happen in with a gay person. But the thing is, they are generally going to have a deep unhappiness that comes of trying to live as something and someone that you truly are not.

By the way, of the 4 kids that Rob has, one of them, I believe I heard, is gay. The rest are not.
It's a damn shame that man has to suffer like that. To me, that's not family.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm pretty sure there's more.

I won't say who it is, but a female "homosexual" who is close to me "switched over" after years of sexual abuse by her father. She learned to hate heterosexuality after very early years of sexual abuse by him. Just once, I've been told, did she go back to heterosexuality, and that was to become inseminated. She raised a very bright daughter, who remains messed up, and a very bright grandson, also a bit messed up.

I could be wrong, but I've been told and believe it's true, that she chose to become a lesbian only because she was so put off by her father.
That there is a bad example and her ass shoulda got some help.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Not at all bashing homosexuals, but I am curious as for humans, as in all species, we live to procreate, so just scientifically speaking, what advantages are there to being homosexual?
Scientifically speaking, humans don't live to procreate. Debunking that flawed logic is easy: Some are born homosexual, some choose to be homosexual, some are born barren, some choose to not have children, some get menopause, some have genetic material that hampers survival, ect...

Old 02-03-2020, 08:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Not at all bashing homosexuals, but I am curious as for humans, as in all species, we live to procreate, so just scientifically speaking, what advantages are there to being homosexual?
Well, since the earth is currently way over populated, maybe it's not so bad if fewer people have children. Mother Earth regulating the species?

Old 02-03-2020, 11:47 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Scientifically speaking, humans don't live to procreate. Debunking that flawed logic is easy: Some are born homosexual, some choose to be homosexual, some are born barren, some choose to not have children, some get menopause, some have genetic material that hampers survival, ect...
But wouldn't that be making a case for Darwin's theory of Natural Selection?

Old 02-05-2020, 03:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
But wouldn't that be making a case for Darwin's theory of Natural Selection?
Probably both but mostly that people aren't born to procreate.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
I have to ask again ...what is the evolutionary benefit of being heterosexual? Breeding more and more people whose life span eventually comes to an end anyway? What IS the point of it all? Many of us - if not the majority of us - contribute little or nothing to society as a whole. Our existence on earth is eventually forgotten. In fact, the reality is that it's as though we never existed as far as future generations are concerned. And the same outcome will also be true for them. They, too, will be forgotten.

So, again, what's the point of it all unless we grasp the opportunity to live life as we wish to for the amount of time we've been given on Planet Earth? Whether one is heterosexual or homosexual ...why does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates