Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are these the same people who love going out to eat "ethnic" food? Do they want to give up their Thai food, Chinese food, Mexican, Italian, Greek, French, Spanish or Indian food? Where do they think it came from?
No. Those are the people who go to bland "American" cuisine restaurants, steakhouses, and such. Maybe an occasional European restaurant, like Italian or French. These are the people who complain about Chinese food that it always leaves them hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Usually when people start a thread on diversity they are not wanting to talk about trips to italy

Old 01-27-2020, 09:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I laugh every time people complain about diversity

Diversity happens naturally
The opposite only happens when it is forced

Old 01-28-2020, 12:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What are you talking about? None of this makes any sense.

America has been diverse since day 1. The country welcomed immigrants for years. America is America because Europeans immigrated to a land that was doing fine with the indigenousness people.

So, what's your point?

I wasn't making any sense out of what you said either. None of it rings true to me.

Europeans in America welcomed only other white Christian Europeans for years. All others who came from non-Christian cultures and non-white races were held in suspicion and kept in low status. And that's not counting those who came to the Americas as slaves.

The indigenous people weren't the same as the Europeans, they didn't have anything racially, religiously or culturally in common with each other. So do you know what ended up happening to the indigenous people after the Europeans immigrated to both of the American continents?

It wasn't acceptance of their diversity, that's for sure.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmagpie View Post
My only real issue with some preaching diversity is that some seem to want it "forced" for the lack of a better term. As far as I'm concerned, let it come naturally as opposed to preaching it to everyone repeatedly
It would be natural if systems, policies, and rules were not in place to prevent location and movement of people.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:18 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Talking We have all sort of white folk --Irish,Italian,Greek,Swedish,German,Scottish,Polish ,French-Canadian,regular Canadian...

All too often "diversity" is a dog whistle (for both left and right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The flip side of increased diversity is increased sameness. Eventually you end up with cities full of people who look different but are culturally all similar.
As a counterpoint, consider Northern New England, which is full of residents who superficially look the same, but are culturally different.

America judges diversity solely by melanin level, so ME/VT/NH are all perceived as non-diverse.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:27 PM

574 posts, read 382,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You could look at it the other way too. There are some who are so terrified of diversity that they will repeatedly preach and do everything they can think of to discourage it and thus prevent it from happening naturally.

If someones trying to inhibit natural diversity, it wouldn't be natural.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:29 PM

574 posts, read 382,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It would be natural if systems, policies, and rules were not in place to prevent location and movement of people.
There ya go, its not a natural doing at this point... nor would be the forced movement/location change of people. Nothing of it is natural

Old 01-28-2020, 03:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
A casual conversation in a coffee shop: an unhappy-looking woman, a retired teacher, lamented the lack of "a rainbow of cultures" in the city. That was the reason she had left the city and lived elsewhere for a number of years.

This got me thinking on the subject of diversity. For centuries, people have increased their appreciation of other cultures by traveling. "Well travelled" refers to somebody who's gained a perspective on the world by having seen its diversity. In order to better internalize the rainbow of cultures, I'd travel to some more countries. My instinct would be that, as opposed to willing to bring said rainbow to my doorstep - and finding my city lacking if this desire is not fulfilled.

In summary, I'm not one to dispute the necessity of multicultural awareness, but I fail to see the imperative of bringing diversity "here, now". Other than for convenience (of not having to travel), why desire this?
If I'm understanding you correctly, it would seem if one has already traveled, they would have an appreciation for diversity, and would seek it at home. Perhaps this teacher doesn't have the funds to travel anymore, or doesn't have the health to travel anymore...but would still like to experience the cultural richness she once experienced?

And, not everyone gets to travel, or has the big desire to leave the comfort of what is known. But it doesn't mean they don't have a curiosity about the world around them from other people. Plus, if we get to actually know, and meet other people from different cultures, we tend to find out we have lots of things in common, and lots of ways we are the same.

It's harder to hate the Muslims and Mexicans when you actually have friends that Muslim or Mexican. :-)

Old 01-28-2020, 04:28 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post
Interesting that you make an example like that since the anti-diversity klan gets all their news from ONE channel. That's their echo chamber and they are clinging to it. Their thinly veiled passive-aggressive protests of "diversity" and other dog-whistle code words fools nobody. We can tap dance around what they are trying to do and be nice and not come out and say it... but everybody knows what their problem is.

(ugly name calling and shrill alt-right-isms to start in response in ....3....2....1... )
Not a very diverse post there buddy. Also - almost 100% fake.
What's your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates