Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:12 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,154,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you noticed, that the only people on the ball currently, are the governors, and not the federal so-called "leadership"?

Be careful what you wish for. Very, very careful. Without the governors advocating for their citizens and medical staffers and hospitals, we would be in much deeper doo-doo than we are at the moment.
Utter nonsense. What you probably meant to say is all the regional hotspots are run by Leftist politicians that espoused open borders and sanctuary cities. Can't wait for the tent cities in LA and SF explode with the epidemic.

Thank God the President sees this and has the upper hand here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 06:25 PM

22,703 posts, read 24,777,812 times
Doesn't martial-law do that??????

Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,912,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The President should at least understand the job and that a government is not the same as a business. He should understand the difference between President and CEO of a business he owns. He should understand huw the Givernment works. He should at least not be a petty narcissist yearning for constant fawning of sycophants at the expense of doing his job. Playing well with others is important in a statesman.
So who do you think should decide if the president is qualified to do the job? It seems to me that the answer to that question is pretty clear... the PEOPLE should decide. And that's exactly what they did in November 2016 according to our election rules that have been in effect for 200+ years. This November, we will get a chance to decide whether we want DJT to continue as president for another 4 years or elect someone else.

Until then, DJT is president. Maybe now you'll understand how many of us felt that Obama was an inept doofus for 8 years, but yet he was still president whether we liked it or not.

I contend that until the past month or so, life in the US under DJT has been FAR better than it was under Obama for 8 years. In about 6 months, we'll vote to see who gets the job for the next 4 years. Personally, I'd rather have a businessman who has our best interests at heart than lifelong, child groping, hair sniffing politician who doesn't know where he is half the time.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:30 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,712,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, that did not happen. Martial law was declared in Hawaii by the territorial governor during WWII, but not in California.

FYI, "martial law" in the US is a condition in which civilian courts are suspended and replaced by military tribunals, as well as law enforcement being taken over by the military. The mere use of the military by the president or the governor to aid civilian law enforcement is not martial law.
Nonsense —. executive order 9066 feb 19 1942
Google it

Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 PM

1,165 posts, read 465,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You complain about "the liberals" bringing politics into the subject but you have done the same thing and now double down with "Pelosi and her cronies" as if they were the only ones barbecuing the pork. Do you believe that funding in the stimulus bill should be directed to developing new sunscreens? Well, what if the company getting that money was based in Kentucky?

Yes, Kentucky, the place from which Mitch McConnell crawled out from under his bridge. Fancy that! I'll bet Rush Limbaugh wasn't bloviating about that. Shall we expect an expose from Breitbart on Monday? There are more examples in the red folder over there but you can't see past the blue ones that were proposed but never made it into the bill.

Perspective!
If they bring it in, I will reply in kind. It is a politics site, and I expect politics. What I resent is constant Trump bashing with no specifics. When I mentioned pelosi i stated why I despised what she did, and it was factual rather than some lame blind leading the blind quip.

I was opposed to the entire bailout. It is being done with created money. It is pointless and clearly a buyoff for all who get a check big or small. I have already stated that. pelosi is the one that packed it with pork holding it up. That's a fact. So whether mcconnell does something else bad or not, has nothing to do with my thoughts on pelosi.

Trump is doing the best he can with limited info. Other politicians are doing what they always do. They are trying to make money for themselves or friends off this crisis. Are you telling me because mcconnell did something bad, pelosi's actions don't count?

Old 03-29-2020, 07:08 PM

1,165 posts, read 465,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Do you think 27 amendments in 231 years are too many? There have only been 15 amendments in the last 217 years.
I think most half way intelligent people know we will not have full churches by Easter.
What I think is that ever since Trump got in, everyone wants to amend or rewrite the Constitution, change election laws and broaden the definitions of impeachable offense and abuse of power. Change just for appeasement of bitter feelings over a loss are just unacceptable to me.

Halfway or not, no one really knows what is coming. Trump's optimism may have been too strong. But, he has changed as information and understanding on and of the virus has grown. He is doing a good job, and I suspect the election will show more people agree with me than you. I thank God that hillary isn't in right now. She would be a total disaster, as she was in every job she was handed.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,912,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Utter nonsense. What you probably meant to say is all the regional hotspots are run by Leftist politicians that espoused open borders and sanctuary cities. Can't wait for the tent cities in LA and SF explode with the epidemic.

Thank God the President sees this and has the upper hand here.
Who espoused "open borders?" Be specific.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,912,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
If they bring it in, I will reply in kind. It is a politics site, and I expect politics. What I resent is constant Trump bashing with no specifics. When I mentioned pelosi i stated why I despised what she did, and it was factual rather than some lame blind leading the blind quip.

I was opposed to the entire bailout. It is being done with created money. It is pointless and clearly a buyoff for all who get a check big or small. I have already stated that. pelosi is the one that packed it with pork holding it up. That's a fact. So whether mcconnell does something else bad or not, has nothing to do with my thoughts on pelosi.

Trump is doing the best he can with limited info. Other politicians are doing what they always do. They are trying to make money for themselves or friends off this crisis. Are you telling me because mcconnell did something bad, pelosi's actions don't count?
No, I'm pointing out the dishonesty in throwing darts to only one side of the aisle.

Why should Trump be working with limited information? If he is, that may be his biggest failure. The National Security Council had a unit for pandemic information gathering and response. We all know what happened to it. I don't call that "doing the best he can." Your mileage, obviously, varies.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:34 PM

7,711 posts, read 5,522,074 times
Forgetting the Constitution for a minute, I have been significantly more impressed with some of the Governors' handling of this pandemic (Cuomo and Newsom, for two), that I'd rather they had authority over The-Guy-with-a-Hunch than he over them.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,655,388 times
The 10th amendment is pretty much dead in terms of practice, so I don't see the need to make any changes if the goal is to make states fall in line with the president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates