Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 03:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Are you kidding me now? He was working with and is still working with limited information because this pandemic is becoming more understood every day. Because the Chinese either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresented the contagion factor, the amount of infected, the mortality rate and how well they had it contained. Because many experts who weighed in had only a hypothesis and not any real experience in dealing with this virus. Because many other leaders reported to Trump in good faith but with bad information.

I am so sick of everyone hammering on Trump. It is very easy to sit here now and say what should have been done. The difference between winners and losers is, winners look ahead and act, while losers live in the past and criticize. The man is doing a good job and even some of his huge critics are admitting that now. I find it pathetic that anyone attacks him over a virus and what they feel he should have done.
That looking ahead we have experienced in the past three years has put the existing playbook for fighting pandemics on the shelf and closed the National Security Council office on pandemics and infectious disease. That was where the information was supposed to be acquired, compiled and acted upon. Instead we have the great criticizer first claiming the entire pandemic was a hoax then delaying an effective response. Sorry if those truths make you "so sick." People dying due to politics and intransigence makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 03:29 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Quote:
Interesting since the two states you referenced have almost 50% of the total US count of COVID-19 cases. You make snotty little childish references to the President and laud the two governors with the most cases? I am glad the two governors who managed to take two very wealthy states, and reduce them to disease centers are not in charge.

Why weren't these two governors you praise proactive? Why didn't they enact state travel bans early? They could have done that months ago. They could have closed down large public events like concerts and parades back in January. Why didn't they? They have the most cases by state. They only have to run their state, not the nation. By your logic, they should have had a read on this on the state level very early. These two failed to see the infection of 50% of the nation coming. Yet you say they possess the ability to oversee the nation? You say President Trump should have seen the viruses' potential spread on a national level, but it's OK these guys didn't see it on their own state level? That's preposterous.

Park your partisanship and pull for your President and nation. If President Trump loses this battle, we all suffer irreparable loss. I wouldn't care who was running the battle against COVID-19 I would pull for them regardless of politics.
Do you really propose that each state should have their own version of the NSC infectious disease office to collect information from around the world and their own Center for Disease Control to determine the best course of action? That is what would be preposterous.

The organizations were there, why were they not doing their jobs? Oh, because the former had been closed by the current president and the latter was hampered, first by a "leader" claiming the pandemic was a hoax, then by the disregard of a previously prepared pandemic playbook and then a failure to have testing protocols and supplies available.

The country will get through this because the American people have the will and the ability to do so, current leadership notwithstanding.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,713,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Do you really propose that each state should have their own version of the NSC infectious disease office to collect information from around the world and their own Center for Disease Control to determine the best course of action? That is what would be preposterous.
Indeed.

Not only would it be inanely redundant, it would really stretch the resources of some states. I mean, California and Texas and New York could absolutely pull it off. But Wyoming? Delaware? To call it 'preposterous' is too generous.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,229,282 times
Quote:
Why weren't these two governors you praise proactive? Why didn't they enact state travel bans early? They could have done that months ago. They could have closed down large public events like concerts and parades back in January. Why didn't they? They have the most cases by state. They only have to run their state, not the nation. By your logic, they should have had a read on this on the state level very early. These two failed to see the infection of 50% of the nation coming. Yet you say they possess the ability to oversee the nation? You say President Trump should have seen the viruses' potential spread on a national level, but it's OK these guys didn't see it on their own state level? That's preposterous.
By that logic, each state should be responsible for its own military defense. So, for example, when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii should have had its own Air Force and Navy to defend itself without military, diplomatic, or intelligence assistance from the federal government. And it’s Hawaii’s own fault for not anticipating the attacks. Nope, that’s not preposterous at all.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Then your favorite is a lie. Either you know this and don't care or you are pathetically uniformed.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/sa...onavirus-work/

As usual so many Trump haters continue to push complete garbage. He never said that. He didn't say the virus was a hoax either. His estimates of when the virus may be beaten are estimates provided to him and passed on. People like you vilify him if he gives a briefing and you don't agree with him. You vilify him if he doesn't give a briefing and claim he is hiding something. But, no matter what, you can be sure you will continue to vilify him regardless of the job he is doing.
Oh no, Trump was very much playing this down at a few of his rallies before everyone started taking it serious, he went on and on about how all the great doctors and scientists in the US would drastically reduce the death toll and how serious this virus was in the US, I listened to his speeches at these rallies, he was down playing this virus for quite a while.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,480,696 times
Quote:
Then your favorite is a lie. Either you know this and don't care or you are pathetically uniformed.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/sa...onavirus-work/

As usual so many Trump haters continue to push complete garbage. He never said that. He didn't say the virus was a hoax either. His estimates of when the virus may be beaten are estimates provided to him and passed on. People like you vilify him if he gives a briefing and you don't agree with him. You vilify him if he doesn't give a briefing and claim he is hiding something. But, no matter what, you can be sure you will continue to vilify him regardless of the job he is doing.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...le-go-to-work/
Quote:
During a Wednesday night interview with Fox News, President Trump said he believes people infected with the novel coronavirus may get better "by sitting around and even going to work." The statement garnered widespread backlash on Twitter, as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently urged employees to stay home if they are sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7_t2Ri2Zg
2 months of downplaying the virus speaks for itself
He's saying it should just go away in April
In one of his latest press releases, he's comparing his press release ratings, saying it had better ratings than the bachelor. Newsflash! People watching your press gatherings because they're trying to get information on the whole pandemic and what to do. Not because they want prime time entertainment! Fox News was even perturbed by this. They had to cut away while Trump was rambling on and on, while trying to cover for him
He's said too much stupid ****. Us vilifying him is still being too kind.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Interesting since the two states you referenced have almost 50% of the total US count of COVID-19 cases. You make snotty little childish references to the President and laud the two governors with the most cases? I am glad the two governors who managed to take two very wealthy states, and reduce them to disease centers are not in charge.

Park your partisanship and pull for your President and nation. If President Trump loses this battle, we all suffer irreparable loss. I wouldn't care who was running the battle against COVID-19 I would pull for them regardless of politics.
My understanding is, that NY got their first case relatively late in the game. WA State was first, with a case identified on Jan. 20; someone returning from Wuhan. A Gates Foundation-funded flu project identified the first cluster of positive cases (resulting from a local social event in someone's home) in early February, but were prevented from sharing the information with health authorities, by the federal government.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:25 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,536,420 times
As I watch the news everyday on how the pandemic is played out, I see the federal government reacting and responding to data as its released, and I see the state's doing the same thing. It appears that New York, California, Ohio, Louisiana, North Carolina, and other states are all acting independently without a partnership from the federal government.

That's sad. Wouldn't it be great to have read a news story or watched on TV where each governor convened in Washington, DC to show some solidarity and take something back to each state? Nothing like that at all. I guess the silver lining is that the data suggests that we all need to adhere to the guidelines that we are living by right now.

Someone needs to address the mess. What will we do when the next pandemic strikes?

Old 04-02-2020, 07:23 AM

14,409 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
As I watch the news everyday on how the pandemic is played out, I see the federal government reacting and responding to data as its released, and I see the state's doing the same thing. It appears that New York, California, Ohio, Louisiana, North Carolina, and other states are all acting independently without a partnership from the federal government.

That's sad. Wouldn't it be great to have read a news story or watched on TV where each governor convened in Washington, DC to show some solidarity and take something back to each state? Nothing like that at all. I guess the silver lining is that the data suggests that we all need to adhere to the guidelines that we are living by right now.

Someone needs to address the mess. What will we do when the next pandemic strikes?
I agree that after we get through this pandemic that that ought to be the first item on our agenda. There also needs to be accountability for the sad state we were in prior to this pandemic. That accountability doesn't need to stop with the President. It needs to include him, the Senate, and the House. Local authorities need to be held accountable too. Rick DeSantis is a miserable disgrace for a governor in Florida. This is the fool who refused to institute social distancing in Florida while all the college kids were flocking there for Spring Break. Our leaders failed us. That much is clear.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 450,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That looking ahead we have experienced in the past three years has put the existing playbook for fighting pandemics on the shelf and closed the National Security Council office on pandemics and infectious disease. That was where the information was supposed to be acquired, compiled and acted upon. Instead we have the great criticizer first claiming the entire pandemic was a hoax then delaying an effective response. Sorry if those truths make you "so sick." People dying due to politics and intransigence makes me sick.
Except your truth is a lie. He claimed the media blowing it out of proportion for political purposes was a hoax, and never delayed anything. He responded with a travel ban that was criticized by liberals as xenophobic. If you can't come up with anything other than untrue statements, maybe you should open your eyes and realize the President is doing as good a job as possible? Nah, haters would rather hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates