Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,221,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Can't liberals discuss any topic without some juvenile Trump comment?
Let's be fair, it goes both ways. There is also a subset of the conservative base who truly believes that this virus is the "common cold" because Rush Limbaugh told them so, and the news is only designed to make Donald Trump look bad. Those are juvenile comments as well, no?

Until people (on both sides) take their blinders off we'll never get anywhere with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 02:48 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I find a bit of ironic humor in the fact that the GOP has been advocating for State's Rights for years, yet Senior GOP Politicians are now complaining that the States are not falling in line behind the President on his Coronavirus stance.
"States' rights" are a code-phrase for "We happen to like our particular manners and mores around here, and if the rest of the nation thinks otherwise, then they can insert the subject into the most vulnerable part of their respective anatomies". The idea is less about the philosophy of public authority devolving to the smallest possible jurisdiction, than about preserving certain habits or viewpoints, while at a national level those habits or viewpoints have evolved.

Quote:
Why would you give an administrator's job to a scientist? Would you give a politician a scientist job?
For a scientific organization, the chief administrator should be a scientist. For a health organization, the chief administrator should be a medical professional. For a car company, the chief administrator should be an automotive engineer. For an agricultural organization, the chief administrator ought to be a farmer or an agronomist. And so forth.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:51 PM

1,141 posts, read 450,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Anthony Fauci is a physician and also a respected administrator (director of NIAID). The NIH, CDC, and FDA are full of physician-researchers who are also competent administrators. No, it probably doesn't make sense to put a scientist in charge of a federal response that entails a lot of non-scientific effort (acquisition, supply chain management, etc.), but scientists should be involved at the very highest level.
A nice civil reply with actual points made. Thank you.

While Fauci and some other physicians and scientist may be able administrators, that's not what the post I replied to said. It said:

The Chief Executive could solve much of the problem by shutting up and giving a respected physician or scientist the job that Mike Pence has. He won't do it though.

The post just calls for Pence's job to be given to "a respected physician or scientist" with no regards to what qualifications would be necessary to do Pence's job. The was no mention of any other skilset or any example of what person would be qualified in the poster's mind.

My point was, replace him with someone more qualified if he is doing a poor job. But don't hire the milk maid to run the dairy farm. They are two completely different jobs and of zero similarity in operations.

Most scientist who have this admin experience you speak of, were heads of faculty, heads of research departments, or some other limited admin field not associated with political red tape, bureaucracy and good ole boy backroom favors. Sadly a scientist, no matter how qualified and noble, would be eaten alive in the back room negotiations Pence will have to encounter.

You can already see the BS pelosi and her cronies tried to pack in to the 2T deal. Do you really think a scientist with no political insight could keep the reigns on that kind of political greed?

I don't know if Pence is the right guy ore not? But I don't want a babe in the woods in the den of the wolves.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Let's be fair, it goes both ways. ------Those are juvenile comments as well, no?
You won't see deflection from me. Going both ways is no excuse in my book. If you attack Trump and I want to defend him, I will make points about Trump. Not about other people who I say are just as bad. If I make a statement about someone, it will be about them, not as a defense of someone else.

Deflection is a sword the dimwitted, unprepared and unarmed bring to the battle of wits. I outgrew the; yeah but so and so did it too defense, in second grade.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:00 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Or for that matter why give a reality tv show celebrity and "businessman" with multiple bankruptcies the top job on the country? That makes zero sense too, yet here we are.
Because the president shouldn't be a career politician. The destruction done by career politicians is something that future generations will read about in their history books, and wonder what the bloody hell was wrong with people, and why they were stupid enough to allow that to happen.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:14 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
A nice civil reply with actual points made. Thank you.

While Fauci and some other physicians and scientist may be able administrators, that's not what the post I replied to said. It said:

The Chief Executive could solve much of the problem by shutting up and giving a respected physician or scientist the job that Mike Pence has. He won't do it though.

The post just calls for Pence's job to be given to "a respected physician or scientist" with no regards to what qualifications would be necessary to do Pence's job. The was no mention of any other skilset or any example of what person would be qualified in the poster's mind.

My point was, replace him with someone more qualified if he is doing a poor job. But don't hire the milk maid to run the dairy farm. They are two completely different jobs and of zero similarity in operations.

Most scientist who have this admin experience you speak of, were heads of faculty, heads of research departments, or some other limited admin field not associated with political red tape, bureaucracy and good ole boy backroom favors. Sadly a scientist, no matter how qualified and noble, would be eaten alive in the back room negotiations Pence will have to encounter.

You can already see the BS pelosi and her cronies tried to pack in to the 2T deal. Do you really think a scientist with no political insight could keep the reigns on that kind of political greed?

I don't know if Pence is the right guy ore not? But I don't want a babe in the woods in the den of the wolves.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, a physician running a department of infectious disease for a government agency, or a scientist with some administrative experience studying virology are all examples of people who would be eminently more qualified than Mike Pence is to head up the fight against coronavirus. A competent president would have literally gotten names of people like this from the head of the CDC and had them flown to Washington to personally interview with him. That didn't happen. What we have today in Washington is the blind leading the blind.

We've seen the president tell people to go back to work even though orders are being given to people to stay home. We've seen the president talking about having "full churches" by Easter. We've seen the preoccupation Trump has with economics when those values conflict with public health. The whole thing borders on being a fiasco. It would be almost funny if human lives weren't at stake.

When Donald Trump was elected many experts said this country would somehow stumble through "until we had a crisis". Well, that crisis is here. The dark riders are at the gates. Many of us have little to no confidence that this president and his veep can do anything right.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:38 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
No need to change anything. The latest NDAA (signed by Obama) gives the President the power to remove sitting state governors and replace them with federal officials. It also allows presidential control of the National Guard through the military command authority.
NDAA is a big overstep of constitutional authority, as was the "Patriot" Act which W signed.

These orders from On High regarding closing businesses, ordering citizens around down to the details of our daily activities, is a terrible terrible precedent.

The road to hell...paved with so-called good intentions. We will regret all this some day.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:01 PM

7,270 posts, read 5,150,905 times
???

Apparently all you guys were asleep on the day in 8th grade Constitution class that taught the rest of us that the Federal govt rulings have supremacy over the states. The President's powers are already covered by that.

As a libertarian (Federalist), I rather like how Trump's administration has handled things on this latest issue. They have issued recommendations based on the best available science, but allowed the states to cover their own states' actual dealings. It should be obvious to all that a sparsely inhabited state, like, say, MT, should not be held to the same restrictions as densely populated NY. The Feds have acted as a facilitator & enabler, not Draconian dictator.

May I remind all the liberals out there that your hero BHO completely mishandled, for PC reasons, the Ebola situation, but luckily that bug turned out to be not nearly as virulent as CoV. He didn't know that a priori and it could easily have turned out very badly.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Dr. Anthony Fauci, a physician running a department of infectious disease for a government agency, or a scientist with some administrative experience studying virology are all examples of people who would be eminently more qualified than Mike Pence is to head up the fight against coronavirus. A competent president would have literally gotten names of people like this from the head of the CDC and had them flown to Washington to personally interview with him. That didn't happen. What we have today in Washington is the blind leading the blind.
This is your opinion, not mine. I think the CDC is a decent source if you are asking for recommendations for scientist to try to develop cures. It is not a good place to ask for the name of someone to head a government operation. You have no idea of Pence's qualifications. You just oppose him out of principle, most likely because of your dislike for Trump.

Quote:
That didn't happen. What we have today in Washington is the blind leading the blind.
Another statement that is only your opinion. I have no doubt you would love any democrat leading this right now. Trump has done an admirable job, and history will eventually reflect that. Your opinion is likely the, anybody but Trump mentality and nothing else.

Quote:
We've seen the president tell people to go back to work even though orders are being given to people to stay home. We've seen the president talking about having "full churches" by Easter. We've seen the preoccupation Trump has with economics when those values conflict with public health. The whole thing borders on being a fiasco. It would be almost funny if human lives weren't at stake.
Trump has told people in areas not severely affected to live their lives, use caution and to not give up. We don't know if we will have full churches by Easter or not. The virus will end it's cycle at some point. All viruses do. Maybe Trump knows more than you? Maybe he is an optimist? Maybe he wants to curtail panic? Maybe he is just wrong? But none of those mean he isn't doing a good job, except in the eyes of those that just hate him beyond reason. The man was dealt a very bad hand, and he is forced to play the cards he was dealt. Even many Trump critics are now admitting he is doing as good of a job as is possible. Only the media and rabid haters continue to blast him non stop.

Quote:
When Donald Trump was elected many experts said this country would somehow stumble through "until we had a crisis". Well, that crisis is here. The dark riders are at the gates. Many of us have little to no confidence that this president and his veep can do anything right.
They said a lot of things; wars, collapsed stock market, Russians taking over, him declaring himself king and tons of other stupid drivel. Bottom line, there are no "dark riders". There is a crisis for sure, and most likely your lack of confidence is born out of hatred for the man, not any true understanding of his ability of to handle the situation. You should at least preface your postings with a disclaimer stating no matter what Trump does, that you despise him and want him to fail. That's what would be funny if there were not so many lives at stake.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because the president shouldn't be a career politician. The destruction done by career politicians is something that future generations will read about in their history books, and wonder what the bloody hell was wrong with people, and why they were stupid enough to allow that to happen.
The President should at least understand the job and that a government is not the same as a business. He should understand the difference between President and CEO of a business he owns. He should understand huw the Givernment works. He should at least not be a petty narcissist yearning for constant fawning of sycophants at the expense of doing his job. Playing well with others is important in a statesman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates