Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 06:04 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,394,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I find a bit of ironic humor in the fact that the GOP has been advocating for State's Rights for years, yet Senior GOP Politicians are now complaining that the States are not falling in line behind the President on his Coronavirus stance.

Oh well, the most pressing issue is to minimize the number of deaths. Political beliefs be damned.
Nothing new
They constantly contradict themselves

Now they are pushing to remove our constitutional rights and force everybody to stay home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 AM

1,158 posts, read 460,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Why should Trump be working with limited information? If he is, that may be his biggest failure.
Are you kidding me now? He was working with and is still working with limited information because this pandemic is becoming more understood every day. Because the Chinese either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresented the contagion factor, the amount of infected, the mortality rate and how well they had it contained. Because many experts who weighed in had only a hypothesis and not any real experience in dealing with this virus. Because many other leaders reported to Trump in good faith but with bad information.

I am so sick of everyone hammering on Trump. It is very easy to sit here now and say what should have been done. The difference between winners and losers is, winners look ahead and act, while losers live in the past and criticize. The man is doing a good job and even some of his huge critics are admitting that now. I find it pathetic that anyone attacks him over a virus and what they feel he should have done.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Forgetting the Constitution for a minute, I have been significantly more impressed with some of the Governors' handling of this pandemic (Cuomo and Newsom, for two), that I'd rather they had authority over The-Guy-with-a-Hunch than he over them.
Interesting since the two states you referenced have almost 50% of the total US count of COVID-19 cases. You make snotty little childish references to the President and laud the two governors with the most cases? I am glad the two governors who managed to take two very wealthy states, and reduce them to disease centers are not in charge.

Why weren't these two governors you praise proactive? Why didn't they enact state travel bans early? They could have done that months ago. They could have closed down large public events like concerts and parades back in January. Why didn't they? They have the most cases by state. They only have to run their state, not the nation. By your logic, they should have had a read on this on the state level very early. These two failed to see the infection of 50% of the nation coming. Yet you say they possess the ability to oversee the nation? You say President Trump should have seen the viruses' potential spread on a national level, but it's OK these guys didn't see it on their own state level? That's preposterous.

Park your partisanship and pull for your President and nation. If President Trump loses this battle, we all suffer irreparable loss. I wouldn't care who was running the battle against COVID-19 I would pull for them regardless of politics.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:47 PM

14,463 posts, read 14,424,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
If they bring it in, I will reply in kind. It is a politics site, and I expect politics. What I resent is constant Trump bashing with no specifics. When I mentioned pelosi i stated why I despised what she did, and it was factual rather than some lame blind leading the blind quip.

I was opposed to the entire bailout. It is being done with created money. It is pointless and clearly a buyoff for all who get a check big or small. I have already stated that. pelosi is the one that packed it with pork holding it up. That's a fact. So whether mcconnell does something else bad or not, has nothing to do with my thoughts on pelosi.

Trump is doing the best he can with limited info. Other politicians are doing what they always do. They are trying to make money for themselves or friends off this crisis. Are you telling me because mcconnell did something bad, pelosi's actions don't count?
I resent the constant contradictions Trump makes in his messaging. He's even suggested the coronavirus is a conspiracy to bring him down. However, my favorite comment was weeks ago when he suggested we all just forget the virus and go to work even if we felt sick. Than there is telling everyone things will be fine by Easter and than a couple of days later saying we needed to continue social distancing at least until the end of April. He's a mess. The best thing he could do is stand aside and let the experts manage this crisis.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Utter nonsense. What you probably meant to say is all the regional hotspots are run by Leftist politicians that espoused open borders and sanctuary cities. Can't wait for the tent cities in LA and SF explode with the epidemic.

Thank God the President sees this and has the upper hand here.
No, that's not what I meant to say. I had in mind, for one, the Guv of my state, New Mexico, who has been calling the President about more medical supplies and test kits needed, and most recently, to request an army hospital be set up in our largest city, where the main outbreak is. And we are not a hotspot, and were late in the game to get even our first case. But the numbers have been climbing to the point that hospital capacity could soon be exceeded. To say nothing of rural areas who don't have enough test kits, if any at all.

And our Guv is not an isolated case. There are others quietly working hard to try to stay on top of the issue, and work with whomever possible on the federal level to get protective gear for their state's doctors, and to expand hospital/ICU capacity. Sorry to burst your little nonsense bubble. And I'm not seeing a President with any upper hand.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:19 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I find a bit of ironic humor in the fact that the GOP has been advocating for State's Rights for years, yet Senior GOP Politicians are now complaining that the States are not falling in line behind the President on his Coronavirus stance.

Oh well, the most pressing issue is to minimize the number of deaths. Political beliefs be damned.
Well, if they're in charge, then they don't care. If they're not in charge, then they play the "but states rights!" card.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:22 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,832,965 times
Uh, no. Look at how the Republic was designed. States first, Feds as a backstop. We’ve already strayed too far from that as it is.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:30 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,636,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Uh, no. Look at how the Republic was designed. States first, Feds as a backstop. We’ve already strayed too far from that as it is.
That's basically already dead, the federal government has grown to the point of almost being a unitary state. When's the last time a federal law was struck down for violating the 10th amendment?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
However, my favorite comment was weeks ago when he suggested we all just forget the virus and go to work even if we felt sick.
Then your favorite is a lie. Either you know this and don't care or you are pathetically uniformed.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/sa...onavirus-work/

As usual so many Trump haters continue to push complete garbage. He never said that. He didn't say the virus was a hoax either. His estimates of when the virus may be beaten are estimates provided to him and passed on. People like you vilify him if he gives a briefing and you don't agree with him. You vilify him if he doesn't give a briefing and claim he is hiding something. But, no matter what, you can be sure you will continue to vilify him regardless of the job he is doing.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,888,397 times
duplicate

Last edited by kokonutty; 03-31-2020 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates