Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

Amazon is the biggest winner, 2nd is Walmart.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) is another winner. MMS is a "cure-all" that includes bleach (choline dioxide) mixed with sodium chlorite and an acid. MMS is a common "remedy" for different aliments including HIV, malaria, hepatitis viruses, the H1N1 flu virus, common colds, and autism. It is being suggested as a cure for Covid-19 like other before it. It really is dangerous and has no science to it as a treatment for ANY DISEASE.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
The devil

Old 04-26-2020, 01:42 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was reading about some of them in the recent Economist magazine entitled Pushing On An Open Door, the virus should speed efforts to shrink the prison population.

"In Harris County some pregnant inmates have been released."

"Sheriff Dart in Chicago says daily arrivals have fallen nearly in half as police issue more citations and arrest fewer offenders." (Which is becoming common in a number of states)

"In Baltimore, the state attorney, Marilyn Mosby, has told prosecutors to stop charging non-violent offenders such as those caught dealing drugs, trespassing or illegally selling sex."

"In Los Angeles, where 17k are in jail on an average day, officials are aiming to get the population down by 2,000. Daily arrests there have dropped from 300 to 60."

"One county jail in Kentucky released 120 of its 697 inmates this month."

Upcoming: release of elderly inmates who can serve their remaining sentence at home. (But do they have a home to go to?)

Iran has released 1000's of inmates from their prisons.

And, where you have beneficiaries, you have those that stand to lose out: Prison/jail guards.

And yes, there are others that are bound to benefit from this crisis. As more and more airlines go belly up, the bigger airlines will gobble them up at a bargain, reducing the airline competition. I have read that SW has only canceled 1 out of 5 flights, because they're not reliant on international travel, so I expect SW to flourish over this virus.
I'd say if anyone was "benefiting" from the virus, it would be the media. Sensationalism, as you know, sells. And any catastrophic event, God or man made, is going to help their coffers by bringing in advertising revenue.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:36 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default certain greeting cards

Those of you on City-Data who believe that ALL communication should be done via text or email and who want the United States Postal Service to go out of business won't like this, but all of the inexpensive blank or thinking of you card at stores are sold out. Although other types of cards, birthday, etc., are still widely available, the generic ones are gone. People have been buying them and snail mailing them to people who live far away or cannot have visitors. My mother has been sending these little cards to her sister in a nursing home every week and Mom is frustrated that she can't find anymore.
Please don't tell me that she should look on Amazon because what is the point of buying one or two items for $1 each online and having them sent to her so she can mail them out again?

Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Introverts benefit from this pandemic. They were never really about getting out in public more than needed anyway.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Any manufacturer of plexiglass must be doing a raging storm of business right now. Every retail store and restaurant that survives the pandemic shutdown is putting up plexiglass partitions everywhere to separate employees from customers. Then they have to hire an army of cleaning people to wipe down all that plexiglass every day.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
My business appears to be on the “winners” list from early results. We do B2B video production and closed a $100,000 deal last week that started the first project today. Because of the social distancing and less human contact, a lot of businesses are reaching out to us that had been hesitant about video production but now they see the need. I’d rather the pandemic never have happened, obviously, I hate this nonsense. But I’m very happy to be in this business instead of, say, the restaurant business.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Opposition political parties, in the UK, disgustingly, they're revelling in it.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM

472 posts, read 244,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Introverts benefit from this pandemic. They were never really about getting out in public more than needed anyway.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. I consider myself an introvert, and this lockdown nonsense is really taking a toll on my sanity. It's very sad to see so many businesses closed, and who knows which ones will recover (especially the small ones). I myself have been trying to get out and about every day since this has started. I'm not a big fan of crowds (I tend to get claustrophobic), but not seeing people around is just downright eerie. I'm glad restrictions are finally starting to be lifted. Hopefully we are back to normal (and NOT a "new normal") very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates