Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was reading about some of them in the recent Economist magazine entitled Pushing On An Open Door, the virus should speed efforts to shrink the prison population.

"In Harris County some pregnant inmates have been released."

"Sheriff Dart in Chicago says daily arrivals have fallen nearly in half as police issue more citations and arrest fewer offenders." (Which is becoming common in a number of states)

"In Baltimore, the state attorney, Marilyn Mosby, has told prosecutors to stop charging non-violent offenders such as those caught dealing drugs, trespassing or illegally selling sex."

"In Los Angeles, where 17k are in jail on an average day, officials are aiming to get the population down by 2,000. Daily arrests there have dropped from 300 to 60."

"One county jail in Kentucky released 120 of its 697 inmates this month."

Upcoming: release of elderly inmates who can serve their remaining sentence at home. (But do they have a home to go to?)

Iran has released 1000's of inmates from their prisons.

And, where you have beneficiaries, you have those that stand to lose out: Prison/jail guards.

And yes, there are others that are bound to benefit from this crisis. As more and more airlines go belly up, the bigger airlines will gobble them up at a bargain, reducing the airline competition. I have read that SW has only canceled 1 out of 5 flights, because they're not reliant on international travel, so I expect SW to flourish over this virus.
How do Guards lose out? The have an emptier jail to watch and less chance they get sick from the virus.

Grocery Stores are doing well, as are many upstream of them, and retailers of consumer staples (Costco, Target, Wal-Mart.

Truckers seem to be keeping busy.

Home Depot was packed this weekend when I had to stop by.

The Liquor store seems busy.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The people on Unemployment whose checks for the next four months will be larger than those they received when they were working.
Not even close, pal! Sure, you are correct that many unemployed people get a salary increase for the next 4 months but finding a job in this environment is not advisable. Also, many unemployed people will take salary cuts to get re-employed. The fallout from a 2020 job loss could easily be 5-15 years.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
An all time high for Trump. Still lower than most previous President's lows.
It means nothing now. Americans historically rally around a president in a crisis. A Harvard/Harris Poll published yesterday showed Joe Biden beating Trump by 10 points in the general election. Several days ago the Fox Poll had Biden ahead of Trump by 9 points.

I'm sure Trumpbots will keep up their bleating about how polls mean nothing. The large number though that all point in the same direction ought to be worrysome.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
An all time high for Trump. Still lower than most previous President's lows.
Seeing that Trump's approval average is only about 2% below Obama's average over 8 years, that is a win for Trump.

Just about every media outlet and elitist in the world is against Trump, but the same were all in for Obama, yet Obama averaged only about 2-3% better.

Gallup said Obama's 8 year average was 47.9%. Currently Trump on RCP is 47.3%.

I expect these numbers will be about the same for future presidents as well, since this nation will be forever divided.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
The government eventually is profiting off because the number of seniors collecting benefits will drop. Stock market actually made off a lot with the huge drop in share prices.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Seeing that Trump's approval average is only about 2% below Obama's average over 8 years, that is a win for Trump.

Just about every media outlet and elitist in the world is against Trump, but the same were all in for Obama, yet Obama averaged only about 2-3% better.

Gallup said Obama's 8 year average was 47.9%. Currently Trump on RCP is 47.3%.

I expect these numbers will be about the same for future presidents as well, since this nation will be forever divided.
The difference is you are comparing Obama's eight year average with where Trump is now. Trump is at his high point because of a national crisis and the inevitable reaction of citizens who see showing support for the president as showing support for their country. Its not where he is now. Its where he will be when the votes are cast. There is no reason to believe he will be at the high point of his presidency.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Pets.

Pets are thrilled that their owners are home all day with them. Happy puppies and kitties everywhere.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It means nothing now. Americans historically rally around a president in a crisis. A Harvard/Harris Poll published yesterday showed Joe Biden beating Trump by 10 points in the general election. Several days ago the Fox Poll had Biden ahead of Trump by 9 points.

I'm sure Trumpbots will keep up their bleating about how polls mean nothing. The large number though that all point in the same direction ought to be worrysome.

The polls only "mean nothing" to them if they appear unfavorable to Trump. Once something looks halfway decent ("Trump's polling higher than ever!!!") all of a sudden the polls are at least somewhat meaningful.

It's actually pretty entertaining.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 AM

609 posts, read 265,206 times
I am just fine with prisoners being released as long as they are non-violent offenders.

Prisons are a big money making business here in the US, that is why so many people wind up in them. There are people doin 20 years for smoking a marijuana joint.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:32 AM

609 posts, read 265,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not even close, pal! Sure, you are correct that many unemployed people get a salary increase for the next 4 months but finding a job in this environment is not advisable. Also, many unemployed people will take salary cuts to get re-employed. The fallout from a 2020 job loss could easily be 5-15 years.
I find that very sad, but at the same time, I must say that even during a Depression economy, there ARE some jobs....just not the jobs that people want.

We will have to learn to stop cherry-picking jobs. Take whatever we can. Tell our college graduates that they'll have to wait to buy that BMW or that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates