Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 08:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

Just look around this forum, every other forum on the planet where political discussion is allowed, and the so-called news.

The Left is now more concerned about not hurting the feelings of a horrific communist regime than they are about discussing facts.

So the Left has made it plenty clear they are fighting more for a brutal totalitarian government than their own Western free socities.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Streaming services. Netflix viewership is way up. I and others I know have subscribed to new streaming services since the stay at home orders went into place.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:47 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
misanthropes.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
China is only prosperous because of money spent by Americans on Chinese exports.

The idea that this virus was "engineered" to damage America is just another pathetic conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theories are generally the product of small minds that seek simple solutions for complex problems.
The problem with making a conspiracy theory is that it has to pass a smell test. 9/11 truthers only bit of evidence is the Pentagon plane hitting the area that was renovated at the time. It is random. Occam's Razor shows that China loses a LOT of money by lack of trade.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with making a conspiracy theory is that it has to pass a smell test. 9/11 truthers only bit of evidence is the Pentagon plane hitting the area that was renovated at the time. It is random. Occam's Razor shows that China loses a LOT of money by lack of trade.
I don't know if it's about conspiracy theories.

I think it's about: the only definitive thing for sure that we know is the Chinese government is a brutal, horrible government, period.

Why anyone would give them any benefit of doubt at all is shocking

Old 04-02-2020, 02:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

I think it's about: the only definitive thing for sure that we know is the Chinese government is a brutal, horrible government, period.

Because why would they economically cut their own nose off to spite their face. They benefit from US trade so why create a virus and intend it to expose into America when America is a trade partner?

Old 04-02-2020, 08:01 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

It's not about giving China any benefit of a doubt. It's just about simple logic.

This pandemic is economically devastating to the planet. Not only has it delivered a body-blow to China directly, but as the world's leading exporter it is now suffering indirectly because all those countries that iport Chinese goods are also being economically ravaged.

One of the primary goals of authoritarian regimes is domestic stability. Severe economic downturns threaten those in power. There is simply no imaginable motivation for China to unleash such a virus on the planet. There is also no evidence that they did so.

China is an oppressive regime =/= China engineered an unleashed a virus that is hurting China as much as any country. Do you not understand even the most basic concepts of logic? It's about self-interest. It seems to me that it's glaringly obvious that China would not do something which would wreak havoc on the Chinese economy. But... it seems to make total sense to you?

Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Streaming services. Netflix viewership is way up. I and others I know have subscribed to new streaming services since the stay at home orders went into place.
I plan to go on an eating and binging marathon when I'm off for two weeks starting Monday Netflix and Prime for the streaming

Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
In the Economist magazine today:

Board games are making a comeback with sales jumping 240% during the 1st week of lockdown, Monopoly Classic being #1, at least in England.

I get together with older senior women in my 55+ community and we have a blast playing Old Maid, Aggravation, Sorry, Crazy 8's, Parcheesi, Risk and Chutes and Ladders, which we play for $$.

I would also say that our dying, abused, tortured Planet is probably the biggest beneficiary, as this will give the Planet needed time to heal itself.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-05-2020 at 05:02 AM..

Old 04-05-2020, 07:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Who’s benefiting the most from this virus?

One simple answer is “those that are using their time productively.”

I know some people that are stocked up with their booze at home this weekend and plan on spending their time drinking, consuming social media all day, or increasing their fear watching news all day or complaining, and some will say “I am living or enjoying the moment.” While others that I know are improving themselves by reading, relaxing, exercising, planning ahead, adding value to other people’s lives, or just overall bettering themselves. Which group will be better off and come out of this as the better version of themselves?

Also, those people that live a simple, uncomplicated life without excessive debt, planned better for a “rainy day” and those with self discipline may fair better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates