Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:18 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times

Advertisements

True. And all patients should have their medical bills waived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Who ultimately pays for all the forgiven student loan debt? It has to come from somewhere.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Absolutely. Physicians and Nurses who are directly working on the front-lines should absolutely have their debt forgiven (and some other federal compensation/benefit for those who no longer have federal loans remaining). I am an Internist by training, but went back got my MPH and did a fellowship a couple of years ago to transition into healthcare administration and am not practicing clinically now. I give all the credit in the world to those on the front-lines treating this. They are literally putting their lives on the line, and looking (and knowing) the conditions that they are working in; they are literally at the greatest risk of catching this.

I don't qualify for a stimulus check, but when I first heard about it (I wasn't sure what the eligibility was), I was saying that people who do not really need it, should think about donating to a cause like debt forgiveness for physicians and nurses.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:56 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
I'm for it. Health care is considered public service, so I would be for doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals to have their student loan debt wiped out. Extend that to those who have been paying on their loans for a number of years; win-win for all.

Last edited by AcresHomes44; 04-24-2020 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 09:02 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think forgiving student loans would be fair to those who don't have debt.
Why should it be? Those who don't have student loan debt wouldn't need forgiveness. Granted, my wife and I (plus our friends) have no debt, but I can see the benefit of having the trillion-dollar student loan debt forgiven for millions of Americans. The trillion-dollar or so student loan debt, that money could be used for job creation, health care reform, etc.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:16 AM

159 posts, read 54,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I posted this as a reply in another forum but I think we should forgive the student loan debt of doctors and nurses fighting this crisis. Many especially in New York are making the last will and testament. One doctors even said it yesterday and added she was only 28. Doctors and nurses are being sent to potentially die due to constant exposure and lack of PPE to protect themselves and seeing constant death by not the day but the hour. This is a war and many are breaking whether it is getting sick and dying, getting fired for speaking out or using their own stock off mask or quitting due to unsafe work conditions. Tell me why they shouldn't forgive the student loan debts of nurses and doctors after this.
Doctors and nurses who took out loans did so voluntarily and did so with the knowledge that they would have to repay those loans. It would be unjust to require others to pay off their debt, particularly when we have limited means and children to raise ourselves. However, I'm confident that such doctors and nurses would be elated to receive your financial support. Have you tried posting to a medical community in order to let them know that you are willing to pay off their student loan debts?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:30 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Why is it always forgiving loans? Do we not trust healthcare professionals to manage their own finances? If we want to give them a reward just give them cash, the cost of administration will be lower and it would let them make their own choices. Plus it would probably do a better job of stimulating the economy.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
There is no such thing as student debt forgiveness there is only - let tax payer co-sign for your loan

Old 04-24-2020, 01:46 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times
No. OP did not give a good reason for forgiving the loans. I'll give my reasoning for not forgiving the loans. Basically it comes down to "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO". YOU made the decision to take out a loan for schooling to do something YOU wanted to do. Maybe you did it for the money, maybe for the thought of helping people, maybe because you had nothing else to do. Whatever the reason, it's your decisions. Why should anyone else bail you out for your decision? Answer: They shouldn't. Don't compare this to the GI Bill. The GI Bill is something presented upfront. It's part of the deal. When people take out student loans it's not part of the deal that they'll be forgiven if there's a pandemic.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:51 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I'm for it. Health care is considered public service, so I would be for doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals to have their student loan debt wiped out. Extend that to those who have been paying on their loans for a number of years; win-win for all.
So because someone works in public service they should have their loans forgiven? How about the engineer who works for state government? Or is it only those who "risk their lives" who get loans forgiven? Heck why stop there. Why require healthcare professionals to pay for schooling at all? Shouldn't it be free? Win-win for all right Obviously you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates