Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:54 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

And yet , if that profession did have it's loans forgiven,they would still Jack up their rates . My dentist had his entire education paid by mommy and daddy. Yet he would wallow in his fake saying that the office visit had to pay for some of his education loans . I say cap their fees if they get loan forgiveness.
There are many a number of professions that serve the public. Doesn't mean suddenly when an epidemic happens that profession gets a loan forgiveness. Imagine a doctor in economics getting loan forgiveness because a stock tanked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 01:58 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,095 times
Student loan forgiveness is a really stupid way to say "thank you". Just give every healthcare worker a $25,000 stimulus check.

What if you have 2 nurses who went to the same school and now work the same job at the same hospital. One spent the last 4 years living at home paying off their student loan debt. The other decided to do income based payments and put the loan in forbearance so they could buy a new BMW and go on fancy vacations so they still have $50,000 in debt.

How does it make sense to reward some but not others doing the same job??????????

Old 04-24-2020, 06:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
At 24 trillion debt you want to talk about more freebies?

Old 04-24-2020, 06:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I posted this as a reply in another forum but I think we should forgive the student loan debt of doctors and nurses fighting this crisis. Many especially in New York are making the last will and testament. One doctors even said it yesterday and added she was only 28. Doctors and nurses are being sent to potentially die due to constant exposure and lack of PPE to protect themselves and seeing constant death by not the day but the hour. This is a war and many are breaking whether it is getting sick and dying, getting fired for speaking out or using their own stock off mask or quitting due to unsafe work conditions. Tell me why they shouldn't forgive the student loan debts of nurses and doctors after this.

I had open heart surgery and spent time in the ICU during all this...maybe I should get everything free during this "war".

Old 04-25-2020, 08:59 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
So because someone works in public service they should have their loans forgiven? How about the engineer who works for state government? Or is it only those who "risk their lives" who get loans forgiven? Heck, why stop there. Why require healthcare professionals to pay for schooling at all? Shouldn't it be free? Win-win for all right Obviously you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Don't get upset with me because you're too stupid to read between the lines. In case you don't know, public service employees can already get the remainder of their loans forgiven after a certain number of payments; let me guess, you don't think that should be the case? High-risk professions should have their debt forgiven, regardless of how you or anyone else feels.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:33 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
The ones dealing with covid19 in the hard hit areas for sure. I think the ones not affected by it should pay their loans like everyone else.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Don't get upset with me because you're too stupid to read between the lines. In case you don't know, public service employees can already get the remainder of their loans forgiven after a certain number of payments; let me guess, you don't think that should be the case? High-risk professions should have their debt forgiven, regardless of how you or anyone else feels.
Read between the lines? Heck I'd be surprised if you could even read any lines at all. There are all types of loan forgiveness programs out there, in addition to grants, and all kinds of financial help. My point is that this incident should NOT result in loans being forgiven for select occupations. YOU chose your occupation. YOU chose to take out loans for something YOU wanted to do. Did I mention YOU are the one who choose your path, no one else forced you to do anything. High risk? Meaningless. If someone doesn't want to take the risk, don't sign up.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Read between the lines? Heck, I'd be surprised if you could even read any lines at all. There are all types of loan forgiveness programs out there, in addition to grants, and all kinds of financial help. My point is that this incident should NOT result in loans being forgiven for select occupations. YOU chose your occupation. YOU chose to take out loans for something YOU wanted to do. Did I mention YOU are the one who chooses your path, no one else forced you to do anything. High risk? Meaningless. If someone doesn't want to take the risk, don't sign up.
Some people choose their professions because they want to live comfortably and make a difference. Not everyone has rich parents to fund their education, and grants only cover an undergrad program, only leaving loans for those who want to further their education at the graduate level.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:18 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Some people choose their professions because they want to live comfortably and make a difference. Not everyone has rich parents to fund their education, and grants only cover an undergrad program, only leaving loans for those who want to further their education at the graduate level.
Yeah sounds like the path I took. You don't want the job and required education and possible debt? Take personal responsibility and chose something else. Just because there's a pandemic debt should not be forgiven.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Get your own checkbook out. Most of the country is in fine shape at hospitals other than NYC and some others. Forgiven? Who is going to pay for that?

Who is going to pay for us shutting down? Where is all this money coming from? Ah, life is but a dream to some. Better get ready to pay up and if we get a democratic president in there, you really better be ready to pay. Oh, I am a registered democrat and never been a republican, but I know how things operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates