Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times

Advertisements

I posted this as a reply in another forum but I think we should forgive the student loan debt of doctors and nurses fighting this crisis. Many especially in New York are making the last will and testament. One doctors even said it yesterday and added she was only 28. Doctors and nurses are being sent to potentially die due to constant exposure and lack of PPE to protect themselves and seeing constant death by not the day but the hour. This is a war and many are breaking whether it is getting sick and dying, getting fired for speaking out or using their own stock off mask or quitting due to unsafe work conditions. Tell me why they shouldn't forgive the student loan debts of nurses and doctors after this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 AM

1,151 posts, read 454,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I posted this as a reply in another forum but I think we should forgive the student loan debt of doctors and nurses fighting this crisis. Many especially in New York are making the last will and testament. One doctors even said it yesterday and added she was only 28. Doctors and nurses are being sent to potentially die due to constant exposure and lack of PPE to protect themselves and seeing constant death by not the day but the hour. This is a war and many are breaking whether it is getting sick and dying, getting fired for speaking out or using their own stock off mask or quitting due to unsafe work conditions. Tell me why they shouldn't forgive the student loan debts of nurses and doctors after this.
There is always someone who doesn't want to pay back debt. They shouldn't borrow. These medical people, along with all other college debtors borrowed money so they could in theory get higher paying jobs than people who didn't go to college. That's no different than me borrowing money to invest in the market. If I did, and the market went down, would you repay my debt for me? Why should I share even the smallest amount in paying for someone else's education? I don't know them, thus I don't owe them. Let them make their own way in life.

Where does this debt forgiveness end? I am so tired of people expecting something for nothing. Now days every moron with a computer and camera phone thinks they are going to be a youtube star. If they borrow money for high end equipment then fail, do we bail them out too? How about the guy who works for a plumbing company then quits and opens his own business? If he fails do we pay off his debt too?

The American tax payer should pay for the least amount of things possible to keep the country running. The tax revenues are not for loafers on welfare, failed businessmen, greedy politicians or losers that can't repay their loans after college!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM

144 posts, read 159,279 times
The question is about healthcare professionals. I’m still paying off loans for school, working in healthcare. Thank you to the OP for your concern .You seem compassionate and understanding, thank you again. I was screened for COVID so I’ve been isolating at home. It’s a very scary time to work in healthcare. As for student loans? Still paying on mine. I believe we should as we are not getting laid off like many others who need as much assistance as they can get. I believe in helping the community not just myself. We are much stronger in uncertain times as a group working together instead of being selfish.

As for the callous poster , bless your heart. Please refer to us medical professionals as losers next time you come to the ER for help. If you can’t pay your medical bills if you get sick don’t expect others to help out. Sounds absurd , doesn’t it? It’s not only about you.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:23 PM

I'm saying of all that should have student loan debt canceled, it should be the doctors and nurses. I mean we do it for soldiers with the G.I. bill. Are they freeloaders? If this is a war, we should treat our doctors and nurses as our soldiers.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 454,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crag73 View Post
The question is about healthcare professionals. I’m still paying off loans for school, working in healthcare. Thank you to the OP for your concern .You seem compassionate and understanding, thank you again. I was screened for COVID so I’ve been isolating at home. It’s a very scary time to work in healthcare. As for student loans? Still paying on mine. I believe we should as we are not getting laid off like many others who need as much assistance as they can get. I believe in helping the community not just myself. We are much stronger in uncertain times as a group working together instead of being selfish.

As for the callous poster , bless your heart. Please refer to us medical professionals as losers next time you come to the ER for help. If you can’t pay your medical bills if you get sick don’t expect others to help out. Sounds absurd , doesn’t it? It’s not only about you.
It's not all about you either. You chose the field, you wanted the job, you wanted the loan and you went to the classes. Oh wait, it is all about you. So the bill should be too. Quit looking for something for nothing. You didn't pay my bills, and I don't want to pay yours.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,074,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Bless you for giving them the shirt off my back.
Will they pass the savings on and not bill me for surgery?

Evil isn't created by someone waking up and saying I'll do evil today.
Its created when someone wakes up and says Today I intend to make the world a better place.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
many people have dangerous jobs that serve society.
If you want to forgive debts it should be across the board...for EVERYONE...and those who've managed to pay off all their debt?..and still pay taxes for the good of society..what do you propose for them?

Old 04-04-2020, 04:03 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,791,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
There is always someone who doesn't want to pay back debt. They shouldn't borrow. These medical people, along with all other college debtors borrowed money so they could in theory get higher paying jobs than people who didn't go to college. That's no different than me borrowing money to invest in the market. If I did, and the market went down, would you repay my debt for me? Why should I share even the smallest amount in paying for someone else's education? I don't know them, thus I don't owe them. Let them make their own way in life.

Where does this debt forgiveness end? I am so tired of people expecting something for nothing. Now days every moron with a computer and camera phone thinks they are going to be a youtube star. If they borrow money for high end equipment then fail, do we bail them out too? How about the guy who works for a plumbing company then quits and opens his own business? If he fails do we pay off his debt too?

The American tax payer should pay for the least amount of things possible to keep the country running. The tax revenues are not for loafers on welfare, failed businessmen, greedy politicians or losers that can't repay their loans after college!
I tried to "rep" you on this, but I got a message that I have to "spread it around" some.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:09 AM

513 posts, read 542,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
many people have dangerous jobs that serve society.
If you want to forgive debts it should be across the board...for EVERYONE...and those who've managed to pay off all their debt?..and still pay taxes for the good of society..what do you propose for them?
This. How about those of us who paid, paid, paid taxes for decades and were responsible members of society?

How about a cool 500k "thank you for not being a burden" payout to those of us who followed the rules and paid our own freight?

Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
It's not all about you either. You chose the field, you wanted the job, you wanted the loan and you went to the classes. Oh wait, it is all about you. So the bill should be too. Quit looking for something for nothing. You didn't pay my bills, and I don't want to pay yours.
OK then should get rid of the G.I. Bill for the military? It kind of is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates