Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:21 AM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

Combing through the detailed election results it looks like there always specks of blue in deep-red states. Take West Virginia for example, which one of the most deep-red states in the country. The top three towns, in population, Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown, all had their city areas go to Hillary Clinton. Note, they are all tiny cities with Charleston being largest of them with only about 50,000.

You see the same pattern in other deep-red states like South Carolina. Where again its largest city (Columbia) has only 120,000 people but votes very democratic.

None of these cities really are urban-like you expect of a large metro packed with people. I would expect perfect kind of small cities republicans can speak to but somehow they don't manage to?

For Reference:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...38.387/-82.068
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 11:34 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Combing through the detailed election results it looks like there always specks of blue in deep-red states. Take West Virginia for example, which one of the most deep-red states in the country. The top three towns, in population, Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown, all had their city areas go to Hillary Clinton. Note, they are all tiny cities with Charleston being largest of them with only about 50,000.

You see the same pattern in other deep-red states like South Carolina. Where again its largest city (Columbia) has only 120,000 people but votes very democratic.

None of these cities really are urban-like you expect of a large metro packed with people. I would expect perfect kind of small cities republicans can speak to but somehow they don't manage to?

For Reference:
It makes complete sense, ideologically.

In cities, guns are mostly owned and used by criminals. One of the strongest arguments I ever heard in favor of the right to bear arms, had to do with actual bears. A city girl I am, I've never in my life felt safer because someone was there who had a gun. But I talk to people who live in the country, especially since I moved to Rocky Mountain states, and there is actual dangerous wildlife out there. Things that can kill you, easily. I think if I lived out in the forest, I might actually want a gun. Not to mention the fact that, like in the film, "A Clockwork Orange" if some miscreant(s) ever came to your remote country dwelling and broke in intending you harm, the police are a long ways away. You're kind of one your own.

In cities, even medium to small cities, people are more used to relying on and needing infrastructure. The idea that you have to pay taxes if you want to HAVE infrastructure is part of their normal.

In cities, since there are more humans around you, one must adjust one's thinking to accommodate them lest they live in perpetual conflict with their many neighbors. It is more likely that you will know many people who are not exactly like you. Coming from many backgrounds. And when you know people in person, you humanize them. You see their suffering, the fact that the way they are is due to the life that brought them there. You come to understand that we can only get along if we can live and let live.

An ideology of "Look, dress, act, worship, and be just like me, or I'll perceive you as a threat and want you run out of my community" does not fly in the city. Not to mention that in a city, most people do not own the homes they live in. So the whole "This is MY land and I'm gonna defend my own, don't you take my money, and keep the government outta my business" mindset makes a lot less sense.

And in the modern Republican party, I find that a schoolyard bully mindset is celebrated. I was shocked when I mentioned this to my brother, who is a conservative Christian and a school teacher, and he chucked and said, "Yeah. Well, we needed a bully to stand up to the Democrats." Bullying in a city is more likely to end in somebody getting shot. Bullying in the country is a time honored tradition. Where Biff the football player in his glory days got the prettiest cheerleader because it's the natural order of whitebread John-Cougar-Mellencamp's-Ain't-That-America-Home-of-The-Free-Yeah. In the city, the poor would put a bullet in him and the rich would roll their eyes and call him pretentious and stupid.

Honestly if America ever went to the popular vote, where the basic majority of American voices speaking chose our leaders, the Republicans would be boned. It's the electoral college giving rural areas more weight that even gives them a shot.

But when I talk to people who live where there are actual bears and mountain lions and (more dangerous than you'd think) elk and so on... I do worry that going to a system that shuts them out and ignores their needs could be a problem.

But you know, what it comes to for me is the question of who is willing to walk their talk. Because if the GOP actually stood for limited federal power and more states' rights, the way that many adherents think, I could probably support them more. But they would push policy on city people that country people want, even if the city people find it odious. Country people fear the same. Both sides THINK that they are "live and let live" but to some extent, neither one actually is.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
US media does an excellent job at keeping people ignorant about elections
with their BS racial election analysis that doesn't tell people anything about elections.

You can divide the country into poor people (poor, college students, inner city people, etc)
and rich people (farmers, middle age people with good jobs, etc, etc)

That's basically the people that vote liberal (government helps people) or conservative (government doesn't help people and let the market decide).

Cities are always going to lean liberal for that reason. There's more people that want the government to help them improve their lives by providing better schools, public services, etc.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:33 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:

For Reference:
The answer is pretty simple, really. The voters inside the city limits are mostly either lower income whites, minorities, or college students... all of which vote heavily in favor of the Democrats. All you have to do is locate the largest 2 or 3 universities in each state, and there you will find a location that votes heavily Democrat regardless how Red the state is.

You could also look at Florida for an example. Look at Gainesville and Tallahassee. Both cities are surrounded by the most red-necked areas you'll find anywhere, but yet both cities vote for Democrats. It's not just a coincidence that Univ of Florida is in Gainesville and Florida State University is in Tallahassee.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:03 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The answer is pretty simple, really. The voters inside the city limits are mostly either lower income whites, minorities, or college students... all of which vote heavily in favor of the Democrats.
It's well-off white people moving into cities that's turning them blue. Ask any Texas conservative why Texas is turning purple and they'll tell you it's the tech workers moving from California to Texas.

Interesting that these folks are Democrats. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. What handouts do they want from the government?

Old 04-14-2020, 02:17 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
It's well-off white people moving into cities that's turning them blue. Ask any Texas conservative why Texas is turning purple and they'll tell you it's the tech workers moving from California to Texas.

Interesting that these folks are Democrats. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. What handouts do they want from the government?
This is a very interesting comment. It is indicative of the fact that many republican conservatives don't understand that there are reasons for voting that go beyond simple self-interest. Some of us actually just want a better country and we perceive democrat policies as the way to get there.

Let me give some examples:

1. Democrats support doing something about climate change because of us believe the future is bleaker for succeeding generations if we fail to do so. We will get little out of it, but its still the right thing to do.

2. Democrats support rights for LGBTQ people even though most us are not LGBTQ ourselves. We simply believe all people are entitled to equal rights under the law and moving toward that goal is the right thing to do.

3. Democrats support some type of universal health care or insurance not so much because we personally lack health care, but because we believe any prosperous nation should provide health care to its citizens because it is the right thing to do.

I actually sort of feel sorry for someone who never gets beyond "what's good for #1" when they vote.

Last edited by markg91359; 04-14-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:

For Reference:
This has been an ongoing trend for some decades now as the US moves away from manufacturing and resource extraction and towards the "knowledge economy." Rural areas are declining and the economic activity is taking place in the cities. The young, educated, and ambitious are moving to cities because that's where the opportunities are. People who live in cities, even small ones, vote blue because Democrats better represent their interests.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And in the modern Republican party, I find that a schoolyard bully mindset is celebrated. I was shocked when I mentioned this to my brother, who is a conservative Christian and a school teacher, and he chucked and said, "Yeah. Well, we needed a bully to stand up to the Democrats."
Many good points in your post. But yes, bullying and division is the main tactic of modern conservatives. Ever watch a Trump rally? See how his fans get worked up when he goes on the attack? Especially against women, minorities, and the press?

Notice how much conservatives enjoy destroying things that matter to liberals, like health care and the environment? They've abandoned their traditional platform (limited government, family values, fiscal responsibility). It's all about owning the libs. That's their only unifying principle. Keep the base inflamed with hatred towards others while giving tax breaks to the rich.

It's a long tradition. It's the only way they can stay in office. As LBJ put it: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Old 04-14-2020, 02:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Because cities tend to have a larger population of minorities, hipsters, LGBT, etc. These are all predominately Dem voting demographics. Plus, like someone else mentioned, cities tend to be more collectivist by nature, as opposed to individualist.

There are of course, conservatives who live in cities and liberals who live in rural areas.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Many good points in your post. But yes, bullying and division is the main tactic of modern conservatives. Ever watch a Trump rally? See how his fans get worked up when he goes on the attack? Especially against women, minorities, and the press?

Notice how much conservatives enjoy destroying things that matter to liberals, like health care and the environment? They've abandoned their traditional platform (limited government, family values, fiscal responsibility). It's all about owning the libs. That's their only unifying principle. Keep the base inflamed with hatred towards others while giving tax breaks to the rich.

It's a long tradition. It's the only way they can stay in office. As LBJ put it: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
Sorry for quoting myself, but I just saw an article that proves my point. The conservatives get their base all worked up about restrictions to their freedoms while passing another round of tax breaks for the rich.

Quote:
Tax change in coronavirus package overwhelmingly benefits millionaires, congressional body finds

More than 80 percent of the benefits of a tax change tucked into the coronavirus relief package Congress passed last month will go to those who earn more than $1 million annually, according to a report by a nonpartisan congressional body expected to be released Tuesday.

The provision, inserted into the legislation by Senate Republicans, temporarily suspends a limitation on how much owners of businesses formed as “pass-through” entities can deduct against their nonbusiness income, such as capital gains, to reduce their tax liability. The limitation was created as part of the 2017 Republican tax law to offset other tax cuts to firms in that legislation.

Suspending the limitation will cost taxpayers about $90 billion in 2020 alone, part of a set of tax changes that will add close to $170 billion to the national deficit over the next 10 years, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT), the nonpartisan congressional body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates