Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 04:27 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Every time I see these anti gun protests, most of the participants are boomers.

I'm 25 and I don't know many people my age who are strong supporters of gun control. My parents in their 50s hate guns, though.
The "people you know" don't make up much of that age cohort and likely aren't representative of the predicted voting trends of the Millennials.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 04:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He's not a good speechifier, he's got attention deficit disorder or something, and jumps from one topic to another rather erratically.... but he's also kind of a genius at manipulating people to cut deals.

I think the secret to understanding Trump is not to take his words literally, but to read between the lines. He occasionally says something coherent. He's at his best when he's in conversation, not when he's making a speech.

Watch the daily press conferences - he makes this terrible, cringe-y speech, then when reporters are asking questions, he's quite on point and informative.

He baits the opposition with extreme or wacky statements, causes them to react emotionally, yet in reality he pushes reasonable policies and gets results. It leaves the opposition looking kind of childish and ineffectual. I swear he does it on purpose.

I'm a Republican in a very Blue state (home of Sen. Pocahontas) and I'll vote for him again. In fact I'd vote for him a third time if he ran. He gets stuff done, somehow, and drives the opposition crazy while he's doing it.

And there are a lot of Democrats and independents I know who secretly agree with me, but are reluctant to admit it around here, out of fear of losing their jobs and friends. Which happens.

So much for being a free country! Nauseating.
He has the most Facebook followers! And his press briefings have higher ratings than The Bachelor!

Old 04-15-2020, 04:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Combing through the detailed election results it looks like there always specks of blue in deep-red states. Take West Virginia for example, which one of the most deep-red states in the country. The top three towns, in population, Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown, all had their city areas go to Hillary Clinton. Note, they are all tiny cities with Charleston being largest of them with only about 50,000.

You see the same pattern in other deep-red states like South Carolina. Where again its largest city (Columbia) has only 120,000 people but votes very democratic.

None of these cities really are urban-like you expect of a large metro packed with people. I would expect perfect kind of small cities republicans can speak to but somehow they don't manage to?

For Reference:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...38.387/-82.068
1. Look at the demographics of the two parties. The Republican Party is majority white, male, older. The Democratic Party is more diverse and includes all ages, both genders, all races, fewer seniors. Then look at the demographics of large cities and southern small/rural areas.

2. The urbanization of the Dem Party started decades ago with the Industrial Revolution. The dirty city factories that exploited workers & refused to install safety equipment birthed the labor movement. Also regarding their other issues, like the falling down apartments built to house the factory workers. The labor movement had only 2 parties to choose from. They chose the party that was more responsive to their needs. This holds true today. The smaller towns & rural areas usu. don't have the large factories where the powerful companies try to take advantage of their workers, particularly in the area of safety. There are some dirty industries in smaller areas, though, like coal mining.

3. A big migration decades ago of Af. Americans from the segregated south, which consisted of small towns & rural areas, to big cities, looking for better lives & work opportunities & pay. They pushed the reps of those cities to represent their interests.

4. The Civil Rights Act signed by LBJ in 1964 spelled the death of the Dem. Party (as it was then) in the south. The south was mainly small towns & rural areas. This isn't to say that the Dem. politicians in the south were on board with the CRA. They weren't...because the south wasn't on board w/it.

5. The cities became the home of the educated & academics & technology workers even more so than before, as our economy changed from agricultural to industrial and then to high tech & lodging, etc. The thinking people, so to speak, who are inclined to be more tolerant or liberal or less fixed on race or more amenable to supporting rights for everyone (incl. the minorities in the cities), and the like.

6. The winner-take-all districts in the states means our two party system doesn't allow for a third party to gain traction. This forces everyone to choose either the Dem. Party or the Repub. Party. So the membership of the two parties might be very different if, like in Great Britain, a third party could gain traction.

7. The issues voters are concerned with in the big cities vs. small/rural areas can be very different. Big city voters are less concerned with gays in the bathroom and more concerned with, say, air quality (because of the urban environment). While small city/rural voters may be more concerned with immigrants or people moving in who don't fit in with their small community and less concerned with the cost of a college education. This isn't to say that these issues are all or nothing in the two areas, but that there is a predominance of one over the other in big vs. small cities.

Last edited by bpollen; 04-15-2020 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 05:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
... it is "eroded" in terms of you bearing arms for its original stated reason, to oppose tyranny, by the basic FACT that government enforcers at any level from the local cops to the US Military have more than enough resources to easily destroy you and your entire grid square. .
You might be surprised to find out just whose side the local cops and US Military are on. If you think they're going to blindly carry out orders of some tyrannical leader to gun down their neighbors and fellow citizens with whom many of them agree, you'll be in for a surprise. The typical rank-and-file police officer is much more aligned with those fighting for freedom and constitutional rights than they are their own political bosses who are kissing some politician's a$$ in an attempt to keep his own job.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
He has the most Facebook followers! And his press briefings have higher ratings than The Bachelor!
That's not because people like him!, His briefings have high ratings because people want to know what's going on with the pandemic

Old 04-15-2020, 05:41 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Wait til you hear Biden speak, then you know the guy is too old for the gig.
Don't you know that Trump and Biden are close in age?

Old 04-15-2020, 05:52 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
But miles apart in mental acuity. I wouldn't trust Joe to walk my dog for me (if I had one). I'm sure not going to vote for him to run our country. He'd need help to run a lemonade stand.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:39 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Trump 73
Biden 77

I suppose you could call that close but Trump is far more with it than Biden is. Biden's got some kind of mental deterioration going on.

Maybe he pushed himself too hard on the campaign trail, I don't know. He's always been a bit of a flake, though.

Remember, this is like the 3rd or 4th time he's trying for the Presidency; the other times, he went down in flames.

Biden is probably the worst candidate the Democrats have come up with in decades. Maybe worse than Hillary Clinton (but they're neck-and-neck, really).

Jimmy Carter was a generally incompetent President but he was very electable. Even Walter Mondale was smarter and more capable, and Reagan crushed him in the biggest landslide of the century.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Good god. Dude, explain to me, please, how your gun ownership helps you in any way to resist a tyrannical government.
Why? I already told you quite simply, I think it might. I don't owe you an explanation. But in any event, why don't you tell me how it can hurt my chances of standing up to a tyrannical government to be armed rather than disarmed? At worst, it makes zero difference, and at best it may protect me from harm. It also protects me from looters, predatory criminals and other dangers better than being disarmed.

The 2nd Amendment did not become obsolete because the government got more powerful and more heavily armed over the years. In fact the opposite is true. I don't remember which book it was, but a survivor of one of the oppressive government regimes, Cambodia I believe, summed it up well. He/she said, but the soldiers had guns and we didn't. That pretty much summed up the situation in every massacre committed by tyrannical governments in modern times.

I don't care about you at all. My statement I wouldn't protect you was tongue and cheek humor. I wish you well, but we will never agree. I have a very hard time believing you are anything but an anti gunner trying to portray yourself as some middle of the road voter. Again, may you have a long and happy life.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Trump 73
Biden 77

I suppose you could call that close but Trump is far more with it than Biden is. Biden's got some kind of mental deterioration going on.

Maybe he pushed himself too hard on the campaign trail, I don't know. He's always been a bit of a flake, though.

Remember, this is like the 3rd or 4th time he's trying for the Presidency; the other times, he went down in flames.

Biden is probably the worst candidate the Democrats have come up with in decades. Maybe worse than Hillary Clinton (but they're neck-and-neck, really).

Jimmy Carter was a generally incompetent President but he was very electable. Even Walter Mondale was smarter and more capable, and Reagan crushed him in the biggest landslide of the century.
Many of us think that Trump and his supporters poking fun at Biden over a supposed lack of mentality acuity is--well--the perfect example of the person with glass windows throwing stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates