Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 06:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,069,105 times

Advertisements

We are turning into animals because of the media feed. 24 hour agenda filled news and crazy social media. I think society is really going to be bad from here on out. No stopping it.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:53 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,798,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Start here: Terra 2015 narrated by Vanessa Paradis

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5733210/
You have a great sense of world. Many have lost touched with gainful information.. coupled with Q & A sessions. Outside of voting for geriatric candidates and squabbling over outdated ideologies; many of earth's inhabitants believe they're ripened (possess all the insight/information needed) unaware their next stage would be death.

Death in ignorance.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:01 PM

11,522 posts, read 14,700,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
We are animals; to think otherwise is nothing more than arrogance and pretentiousness. Hopefully this has humbled those who think otherwise.
And, a lot of them are brighter than the human species variety it seems.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:09 AM

11,207 posts, read 7,256,290 times
Attempts at controlling due to COVID are one-way. Only if you give in are you completing the circuit, and making it two-way.

Americans have long lost the ability to stand up to controls and forces they see as unwise. All the testing recently just shows it and proves it. This is more about losing basic "Americanness" than anything else. We're not becoming more like animals; we're becoming more like people of some other country.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-16-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 10:14 AM

35,353 posts, read 17,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Attempts at controlling due to COVID are one-way. Only if you give in are you completing the circuit, and making it two-way.

Americans have long lost the ability to stand up to controls and forces they see as unwise. All the testing recently just shows it and proves it. This is more about losing basic "Americanness" than anything else.
I totally agree with you. This became obvious with our response to September 11, when people have been willing to sit in obviously purposeless lines. We need to find a way to remind the government that they work for us and not the other way around.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:20 AM

11,207 posts, read 7,256,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I totally agree with you. This became obvious with our response to September 11, when people have been willing to sit in obviously purposeless lines. We need to find a way to remind the government that they work for us and not the other way around.
Yes, 9/11 was hugely significant in this shift. And that included loss of liberties and personal privacy; all in the name of increased monitoring for all those 'terrorists' among us (anyone could now be subject to investigation and recording).

Old 11-18-2020, 12:55 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,495,666 times
Anybody remember America during WW2? The battle of combat never came onto our soil, but it still wasn't a picnic. We had scrap metal drives, coupon books for gas, rubber, meat, etc. Much of the war effort had to go towards the soldiers and our allies. I'm still glad to be living now vs. back then. With internet and globalization, at least we have better options.

OTOH, we were more united. There might be more resentment towards US citizens of German and Japanese ancestry, but at least we all recognized the danger. We didn't have idiot leaders saying we have 3 declared enemies of the US, but that'll one day just magically become 0 Here, a good deal of the population still thinks COVID-19 is fake. Apparently, if they threat isn't foreign soldiers with guns about to invade us, then it isn't real.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:00 PM

48,599 posts, read 35,070,562 times
One of the main things that is different between humans and animals is the ability to study a situation, look at what various roads will result in various outcomes, and make a decision on our well being.

Animals live in the moment, they do not look to the future.

It is one of the things that has brought us this far.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-18-2020, 03:30 PM

16,176 posts, read 10,857,191 times
Are we turning into animals, courtesy of Covid-19?

A few perhaps, but most of us are not turning into animals.

Quote:
Many of these changes created by the Covid-19 pandemic are erasing our identity as human beings. We cannot send our children to school. We cannot send our preschool children to socializing nursery school. We cannot enjoy the benefits of the arts, including music and museums. The question is, what distinguishes us from primates from which we emerged?
Those are aspects of culture and modern civilization not status as human beings. Humans were well advanced before there were schools and preschools. Schools are closed in summer, it is a common experience. I happily enjoy the benefits of the arts, music, reading, and I can enjoy all sorts of virtual museums or other art/cultural experiences...just not with a horde of people. One of my hobbies is photography and I can still go out alone and pursue that artistic activity. I just spent a week in a mountain cabin, away from home. It was great and very relaxing.

Quote:
This is not far-fetched. When our state governors have thoughtlessly closed down businesses with no plan of reopening, they erase much of what distinguishes a human being from the animals.
No one is "thoughtlessly" doing anything of the kind. They are agonizing over those decisions and trying to make them as benign as possible. If the resisters would comply we would all be better off. Actually, if you seriously asked, you might find that some of our coworkers behave like animals anyway. Identifying ourselves as humans based on our occupation or work life is selling us all pretty short.

Many, perhaps most, people in the world have not experienced attending music events or performances of the arts in years. I will grant that socializing in groups is difficult under the pandemic restrictions -- it pays to be very cautious. I watch sports on TV -- I don't typically attend in person more than once or twice a year. I don't feel diminished by not being in a crowd of people.

Quote:
Religion is another such shaper of socialization. I cannot imagine the cheerlessness of a world without weddings, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs, confirmations, Christmas Mass, the Hajj in Mecca, and other such events. In short, humans are gregarious species. We need people.
I don't feel that I will be descending the chain of evolution if I miss any of those religious events. I can still cheerfully wish the happy couple well. They can hold a family wedding reception at a later date. Maybe we can devise new celebrations. This is an opportunity for innovation. Some traditions, like the Haj, don't lend themselves well to pandemics.

Quote:
All of this is potentially lost in the mad dash towards “social distancing.” What is most alarming is it the same people who have fought hardest for social distancing fight hard against cures or ameliorative treatment They insist on lengthy testing intervals that will make the proposed treatment irrelevant.

All such people are not created equal when it comes to distancing. Does one seriously think that Bill and Melinda Gates are doing their own house cleaning in there probably large house in Kirkland, Washington? Or are they using paid labor? Would Governor Gretchen Witham (sp) of Michigan approve?
Under what circumstances would you want half-tested and unproven cures or vaccines unleashed on the public? Covid-19 is a puzzle and we don't have all of the pieces or know what the image is supposed to look like. Doctors and scientists know this and they know what kind of testing and safeguards are needed. Trust the science.

As far as the Gates family maid is concerned. You can still call a plumber or have a technician come work on your HVAC and they will actually come to your house, wearing a mask, and do the required work. Do you have any proof that the Gates or others are hiring comedians or musicians for their sole entertainment? This is beginning to sound like you are approaching your own fetal position. Take a breath.

Quote:
I am certainly not advocating a chaotic reopening however, we must have a time frame within which religious institutions, schools come a preschool, concert halls and alike will reopen. I watched the press conference yesterday with six Northeastern governors. All I heard was a vague plan to make a vague plan. Society and the world must open for the non-wealth.
Certainly we need to be concerned about the survival of some of these performance or artistic institutions. Some are tax supported but many are not. These institutions will reopen when they reopen and when it is safe. Some states reopened too soon and everything went to hell. Some states seem not to have ever gotten the message on how to slow the virus. Our Governor has ordered a shutdown until November 30th followed by individual county reopening once they meet and maintain a certain standard for Covid-19 testing. That provides an incentive to wear a mask, observe social distancing, and avoid large groups. There will be cry-babies who will fight those restrictions and in so doing will prolong the pain. We are a small state in population and one would think that we would be able to manage the restrictions -- and we were -- but this third wave has brought us to new levels and strict measures are required.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:00 PM

43,474 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
We are turning into animals because of the media feed. 24 hour agenda filled news and crazy social media. I think society is really going to be bad from here on out. No stopping it.
But you choose to turn on the TV. You choose to create accounts on social media platforms.
You choose to read and participate.

You CHOSE to do that therefore you are to blame.

I read my local news online once per day in the morning.
I check the weather more often.
I do not do social media at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates