Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 04:23 PM

2,246 posts, read 2,422,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Yup, that's why I recently got a haircut at a private place with a private barber. That seemed really hypocritical.
I'd keep that on the down low.... the stay at home nazi's are lurking everywhere....

Old 04-15-2020, 05:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,197 times
@OP,

Nm religious institutions... people would like to get back to bars and other entertainment (their places of "spiritual enlightenment). Nobody wants another wave of COVID19. That would undo all the social distancing we're doing. Lives are literally on the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Because of cell phones and the internet, people are still socializing, viewing art, listening to music, communicating and being creative. People can still get groceries, household goods, health care and medicine.

Humans are resilient and capable of adapting to survive. Yes, it is inconvenient to stay at home and avoid getting sick and/or causing illness to someone else. Going without a haircut or using a tanning booth is not going to kill anyone, but going out and about can.

The world is a different place right now, and I don't believe it's ever going to be the same as it was. Everyone is going to have to adapt and accept a new "normal" if we are to survive as a species.
"The only constant is change". In many parts of life, it's very unlikely that things were going to stay the same forever.

Hell, we've seen this throughout time...
Post Sept. 11, no more curbside check-ins, and we can't board the plane with liquids in excess of 1oz in 3oz containers, and no nail clippers!

In times of war, some civil liberties do get curtailed. During WW2, night raids were a concern. A single light in the night plains below makes you stand out to enemy bombers. In certain places, if you had a light on, you'd get a prompt visit from military police who would at best think you're an idiot, or at worst, a saboteur for the enemy, and get thrown in a brig. If you had a house near such targets, you'd best put up curtains to avoid getting bombed. (That'll ruin your night!)

People have already gone through natural disasters... earthquakes, Puerto Rico, Atlantic coastline has had to deal with Hurricane Sandy, etc.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,696,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspect such a testing program is logistically impossible. Do we never restart?
Whats the alternative?!!! Let the virus run ramp id all over the US? (that would KILL the economy in a heartbeat)

You can bet, that since the WHO and CDC made a HUGE goof early on, by saying the virus was NOT transmittable from human to human...they are going to be EXTRA CAREFUL from now on, even if that means not allowing places to re open for a year! (they cannot afford another huge blunder).

Old 04-15-2020, 11:25 PM

14,463 posts, read 14,424,681 times
Quote:
I suspect such a testing program is logistically impossible. Do we never restart?
You don't know public health like I know it. Yes, such a program is not only possible its ramping up right now. Its a matter of getting enough tests, getting the right kind of tests, and getting a work force trained to do the testing. Its going to be somewhat intrusive too. People who are asymptomatic will have to be tested and portions of the population will have to be tested at random. I'm sure some will object too. We have to have a way to deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Fair enough.

Not sure I understand. Why would the Democrats block the testing/treatment? To make the Prez look bad?
You know where I stand politically. Getting back to normal would please me to no end. You have no idea how much I'm down right now in the stock market. More importantly, I realize people have to work and have to have a livelihood. Its a matter of prioritizing and for most of us it comes even before defeating Trump.

Quote:
I think that in many areas, and all areas with a high population density, most of the population has been exposed. They fall into three categories:
  1. Exposed, never had symptoms and immune;
  2. Exposed, minor to moderate symptoms, then immune; and
  3. Become seriously ill or die (but immune if they survive illness). I think most if not al of this "distancing," including use of masks, is theater designed to make people feel safe.
Analogous is a DM I received from another poster with whom I regularly correspond, sent at the start of all this. She expressed concern as to whether I'll been in New Rochelle. If you remember that was the initial local hot spot before it hit NYC. I told her, truthfully, that I had spent lots of time there but wasn't even slightly worried. Similarly my wife did some work as manager of a home business, where one of the children had attended Westchester Torah Academy, one of the first shut down for the virus.

This may not have been known in February. Testing would likely reveal the fraudulent nature of the lockdown. The social distancers have a mixture of two motives:
  1. They want to derail Trump's likely re-election; and/or
  2. They want to create their vision of a "just" society on reopening, complete with a Green New Deal.
I think you are being a little paranoid.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,967,268 times
I've got to shake my head when a growing number of people get hysterical at the thought of <gasp> reopening the economy. In just a couple or three short weeks they have become totally comfortable at the thought of never leaving their homes for the foreseeable future. Like I said, I don't know that we are turning into animals but humans do not behave this way. We were meant to run in the sun and get dirty in nature. We have all these co-morbidities because we were not evolved for the kind of sedentary lives that we lead. "Shelter-in-place" is like being a couch potato on steroids. Just wait till all the enforced inactivity starts taking its toll.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:09 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,708,216 times
Jeez dude. We aren’t running back to the jungle. Yeah it sucks right now. But it’s not forever. No matter how much people want a apocalypse it’s not happening

Old 04-16-2020, 12:36 AM

62,088 posts, read 87,829,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Disagree, the world will go back to what it was, just might be 1-2 years for that to happen.

What might change is more emphasis on cleaning/hygienic measures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Jeez dude. We aren’t running back to the jungle. Yeah it sucks right now. But it’s not forever. No matter how much people want a apocalypse it’s not happening
I agree. We are not going to "turn into animals" after a few weeks/months of lockdown. Pretty ridiculous idea!

Old 04-16-2020, 12:39 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times
Quote:
Do we stay in a fetal lockdown position?
Only if you have no creativity.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:46 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 17 days ago)

16,142 posts, read 21,279,901 times
Quote:
I would amend that to say "a significant number of blacks, Hispanics, and lower to lower to middle class whites." The opioid abusers are in that class and that is rife among people living in Appalachia and other parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia et. al.
I'm going to take a leap and say you haven't actually looked at covid maps for those areas in Appalachia have you? Nothing like basing an argument on unfounded, preconceived notions.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:01 AM

1,485 posts, read 959,200 times
The devolution into clown world has definitely kicked into higher gear in the past couple months.

We can hope for a sizeable astroid, maybe 3 or 4 miles wide to come hurtling towards us at around 30000 miles per second. It's time for this human experiment to end. It has failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates