Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times

Advertisements

What do you mean "turning into animals"?

Last I looked humans are animals. Are you suggesting we're plants, fungi, or microbes? Lichens?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What do you mean "turning into animals"?

Last I looked humans are animals. Are you suggesting we're plants, fungi, or microbes? Lichens?
Obviously I mean animals shorn of many characteristics that make them human.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Personally, I'm loving how the entertainment industry is dead in the water. The cringy "Imagine" video, the lame political pronouncements by homely celebrities lacking makeup, the reality of life or death that we're all facing....

Puts things in perspective. Celebrities are useless. The real heroes are the doctors, nurses, police, and retail workers, as well as the manufacturers retooling to help them.
Celebrities are one thing. Are you saying that: musicians, composers, painters, sculptors, athletes, tattoo artists, masseurs, hair stylists, writers, and etc. ... are we ... I mean they ... are they all useless too? Hmmm ... a world of nothing but doctors, police, and people that sell us things ... what things? What do you need if there isn't any society? What do you do if the only things society needs are docs and cops? How many axes do you need? How many rolls of TP? How many AR's? Hell yeah, let's just shut it all down right now. No need to 'reopen' anything. Let it rot and when the Grid goes down, City-Data goes down with it. I'll get my good-bye in now while I have the chance.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When you say it's "not forever" how long do you think is acceptable? No one will answer that question.
Quote:
A few more months.

We don't have a "few more months". The number of people that die playing self-strangulation games would surprise you. We are playing the Mother of all Self-Strangulation games with Covid-19 and it is a game we can't win by sheer endurance alone. This virus doesn't take a Summer Vacay. When the car companies go ... when Boeing goes ... game over. That will happen in much less than a "few more months". But you can ignore everything I've said if we grow the Mother (Father?) of all Pairs and claw back some of the hoarded wealth that the Elites have stashed in Tax Havens all over the world. That would get us through. Will we do it? What do you think?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Celebrities are one thing. Are you saying that: musicians, composers, painters, sculptors, athletes, tattoo artists, masseurs, hair stylists, writers, and etc. ... are we ... I mean they ... are they all useless too? Hmmm ... a world of nothing but doctors, police, and people that sell us things ... what things? What do you need if there isn't any society? What do you do if the only things society needs are docs and cops? How many axes do you need? How many rolls of TP? How many AR's? Hell yeah, let's just shut it all down right now. No need to 'reopen' anything. Let it rot and when the Grid goes down, City-Data goes down with it. I'll get my good-bye in now while I have the chance.
Wow, you're a real Mary Sunshine aren't you!

Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Many of these changes created by the Covid-19 pandemic are erasing our identity as human beings. We cannot send our children to school. We cannot send our preschool children to socializing nursery school. We cannot enjoy the benefits of the arts, including music and museums. The question is, what distinguishes us from primates from which we emerged?

This is not far-fetched. When our state governors have thoughtlessly closed down businesses with no plan of reopening, they erase much of what distinguishes a human being from the animals. From the point of view of appearance, how long can we all go without a haircut? We are all going to be very messy look in short order, except of course those that surreptitiously have a “home visit” from a barber or hairstylist.

Much of what has made human society distinct from the animal kingdom comes from the socializing and collective experience of enjoying music and visual art. We don’t know why painting started, but it started on the walls of the caves. Doubtless cave people got together to admire those paintings. More recently, artists have created great works of art, by Michelangelo, Picasso, and others.

Live performance music is another collectively civilizing experience. From festivals such as Woodstock to the folk coffeehouses, in other venues, music is designed to be enjoyed in groups. The presence of applause or lack of applause shape what musicians do.

Religion is another such shaper of socialization. I cannot imagine the cheerlessness of a world without weddings, Bar or Bat Mitzvahs, confirmations, Christmas Mass, the Hajj in Mecca, and other such events. In short, humans are gregarious species. We need people.

All of this is potentially lost in the mad dash towards “social distancing.” What is most alarming is it the same people who have fought hardest for social distancing fight hard against cures or ameliorative treatment They insist on lengthy testing intervals that will make the proposed treatment irrelevant.

All such people are not created equal when it comes to distancing. Does one seriously think that Bill and Melinda Gates are doing their own house cleaning in there probably large house in Kirkland, Washington? Or are they using paid labor? Would Governor Gretchen Witham (sp) of Michigan approve?

Similarly, they can afford to have you musicians and comedians come to entertain them. There is a tradition for this; the royal house of Esterhazy in Vienna had Haydn as an in house composer for much of his life, and accompanying musicians. Do we want people only with the wealth of the House of Esterhazy to be able to afford to be entertained?

I am certainly not advocating a chaotic reopening however, we must have a time frame within which religious institutions, schools come a preschool, concert halls and alike will reopen. I watched the press conference yesterday with six Northeastern governors. All I heard was a vague plan to make a vague plan. Society and the world must open for the non-wealth.
OP, it's not the end of the world. It's only temporary. Even if it drags on for a year, that's only temporary. Hold onto your shirt, we'll get through this.

Museums in my town are still open, btw. I haven't been to one to see if they're monitoring people to see that they maintain social distancing, but I assume they are. One concert venue, I've noticed, has added a weekly music performance video to their emails, specifically to cheer people up during the stay-at-home sheltering.

RE: housecleaning, you don't have to be Bill Gates or a Rockefeller, to have a housecleaner during Covid. A young single woman posted on C-D recently, asking about sanitizing procedures for the home. Everyone told her, that if she lived alone, she didn't need to wipe everything down. She then revealed, that it was to protect herself from her housecleaner, who came in once/week. Ordinary people are not changing their habits too radically, it turns out.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Wow, you're a real Mary Sunshine aren't you!
I think he's hilarious! lol. You can't knock his logic, either.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We don't have a "few more months". The number of people that die playing self-strangulation games would surprise you. We are playing the Mother of all Self-Strangulation games with Covid-19 and it is a game we can't win by sheer endurance alone. This virus doesn't take a Summer Vacay. When the car companies go ... when Boeing goes ... game over. That will happen in much less than a "few more months". But you can ignore everything I've said if we grow the Mother (Father?) of all Pairs and claw back some of the hoarded wealth that the Elites have stashed in Tax Havens all over the world. That would get us through. Will we do it? What do you think?
"We" who? Given that the Trainwreck-In-Chief is a member of those Elites, and undoubtedly has $$ stashed in tax havens somewhere (obviously, in spite of his businesses that went into bankruptcy, he still has some money somewhere to float on), it's not gonna happen. At least...not before November. What happens in November, if anything (we can't assume elections will proceed), is anyone's guess.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:51 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,560 times
Quote:
I think that in many areas, and all areas with a high population density, most of the population has been exposed. They fall into three categories:
  1. Exposed, never had symptoms and immune;
  2. Exposed, minor to moderate symptoms, then immune; and
  3. Become seriously ill or die (but immune if they survive illness). I think most if not al of this "distancing," including use of masks, is theater designed to make people feel safe.
Analogous is a DM I received from another poster with whom I regularly correspond, sent at the start of all this. She expressed concern as to whether I'll been in New Rochelle. If you remember that was the initial local hot spot before it hit NYC. I told her, truthfully, that I had spent lots of time there but wasn't even slightly worried. Similarly my wife did some work as manager of a home business, where one of the children had attended Westchester Torah Academy, one of the first shut down for the virus.

This may not have been known in February. Testing would likely reveal the fraudulent nature of the lockdown. The social distancers have a mixture of two motives:
  1. They want to derail Trump's likely re-election; and/or
  2. They want to create their vision of a "just" society on reopening, complete with a Green New Deal.
The bolded directly contradicts your claim that "(for the record I am an extremely liberal Democrat)".
The only person you are kidding here is yourself.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I think that in many areas, and all areas with a high population density, most of the population has been exposed. They fall into three categories:
  1. Exposed, never had symptoms and immune;
  2. Exposed, minor to moderate symptoms, then immune; and
  3. Become seriously ill or die (but immune if they survive illness). I think most if not al of this "distancing," including use of masks, is theater designed to make people feel safe.
Analogous is a DM I received from another poster with whom I regularly correspond, sent at the start of all this. She expressed concern as to whether I'll been in New Rochelle. If you remember that was the initial local hot spot before it hit NYC. I told her, truthfully, that I had spent lots of time there but wasn't even slightly worried. Similarly my wife did some work as manager of a home business, where one of the children had attended Westchester Torah Academy, one of the first shut down for the virus.

This may not have been known in February. Testing would likely reveal the fraudulent nature of the lockdown. The social distancers have a mixture of two motives:
  1. They want to derail Trump's likely re-election; and/or
  2. They want to create their vision of a "just" society on reopening, complete with a Green New Deal.
jpg, ever the optimist, against all odds.

You wouldn't happen to know, would you, whatever happened to Trumpty-Dumpty's "bring American manufacturing home" campaign promise, would you? Didn't he promise to put all those long-unemployed industrial workers back to work in industry? How are all those folks doing? Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates