Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 09:51 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Don't insult the animals.
We humans have an amazing capacity to either rise to the occasion and persevere, or sink to subhuman status.
As is told in the tale of the two wolves, it's the wolf we feed that determines our destiny.
But the OP's only argument for us becoming animals is the fact that we can't currently attend concerts, enjoy great art, and attend weddings. What he overlooks, is that we can continue to enjoy music at home, artists are continuing to create art in their studios. Not being able to attend weddings or religious ceremonies (for some reason the OP lumps weddings in with religion) doesn't mean we've become animals. Hyperbole, much? This makes the OP sound like a Drama Queen.

Now, if he'd instead discussed people loading up trucks with TP, medical masks, and cleaning supplies from stores, then offering them for sale at extortionist prices, and people duking it out in stores over packs of TP, that might be a more persuasive argument for descent into the lower phyla. IDK about the OP, but I haven't become an animal just because I can't attend a concert for a few months. I don't attend them that regularly, anyway.

I think the OP needs to get a grip, or he'll never make it through this situation mentally unscathed. The way to get through it, is to be easygoing about it, reach out to friends and family via phone, internet, Skype, whatever, enjoy the outdoors as often as possible (the birds are out there singing, flowers blooming, the sun shining, to enjoy, virus or no virus), and find meaningful projects to spend one's time on, so as not to fret or climb the walls out of boredom. It's about knowing how to spend free time constructively, and how to relax.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:25 AM

35,114 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But the OP's only argument for us becoming animals is the fact that we can't currently attend concerts, enjoy great art, and attend weddings. What he overlooks, is that we can continue to enjoy music at home, artists are continuing to create art in their studios. Not being able to attend weddings or religious ceremonies (for some reason the OP lumps weddings in with religion) doesn't mean we've become animals. Hyperbole, much? This makes the OP sound like a Drama Queen.
I discussed a lot of other indicia of animalization, including inability to send children to school and preschool (I accidentally left out college, another step in personal growth, and traditional religious gatherings. You are almost mocking of the value of the arts, and life cycle events such as weddings. Depriving people of the right to mourn the dead is downright cruel. In short people's permitted activities are those that some governor deems "essential"; in other words, what dogs need. I agree with you in your next paragraph.

Quote:
Now, if he'd instead discussed people loading up trucks with TP, medical masks, and cleaning supplies from stores, then offering them for sale at extortionist prices, and people duking it out in stores over packs of TP, that might be a more persuasive argument for descent into the lower phyla.
Here we agree. If you've noticed, for example, I won't take advantage of the fact that I'm 63 to use the early store hours, though that would have saved me a bit more than one hour total in two lines last week.

Quote:
IDK about the OP, but I haven't become an animal just because I can't attend a concert for a few months. I don't attend them that regularly, anyway.
Some people do, especially in my area. And my concern is if it can ever reopen in that sense.
Quote:
I think the OP needs to get a grip, or he'll never make it through this situation mentally unscathed. The way to get through it, is to be easygoing about it, reach out to friends and family via phone, internet, Skype, whatever, enjoy the outdoors as often as possible (the birds are out there singing, flowers blooming, the sun shining, to enjoy, virus or no virus), and find meaningful projects to spend one's time on, so as not to fret or climb the walls out of boredom. It's about knowing how to spend free time constructively, and how to relax.
Why the lecture?

Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I discussed a lot of other indicia of animalization, including inability to send children to school and preschool (I accidentally left out college, another step in personal growth, and traditional religious gatherings. You are almost mocking of the value of the arts, and life cycle events such as weddings. Depriving people of the right to mourn the dead is downright cruel. In short people's permitted activities are those that some governor deems "essential"; in other words, what dogs need. I agree with you in your next paragraph.

Here we agree. If you've noticed, for example, I won't take advantage of the fact that I'm 63 to use the early store hours, though that would have saved me a bit more than one hour total in two lines last week.

Some people do, especially in my area. And my concern is if it can ever reopen in that sense.
Why the lecture?
So, re: the bolded, would you characterize the many people who homeschool, including Christian families hoping to avoid Darwinic propaganda, as approaching animality?

Why would I mock weddings? I just don't understand your filing them under "religion", that's all. Weddings will take place. Some have been postponed, others have been downsized to just a couple of witnesses. It's a shame some people had to postpone theirs, but life will go on. Remember, this situation is only temporary. How often do people attend weddings, anyway? Not even once/year, in most cases. Most people will be unfazed by the restrictions.

My concern is that your take on the situation seems so exaggerated and doom-like. We're becoming animals because we can't go to concerts? I don't get it. We can still enjoy music at home. We can enjoy great books at home. (Though I think it would be helpful if libraries could stay open, if observing social distancing guidelines.) Maybe I misunderstood the tone of your OP, but it sounded like you find the current restrictions oppressive, and we're really only about 1 month in. If you're hand-wringing about being reduced to being animals at this early stage, how are you going to make it through the next month or two or six? Speaking for myself, I don't feel any less human now than before.

IDK. Maybe you didn't mean it the way it sounded.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:54 PM

1,485 posts, read 955,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Oh please. There is nothing failing here except for your post
Looks as if my post touched your nerve.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:46 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think the economic problems are going to be what really leads to societal problems, states are getting ready to re open in May, and people will see what state our economy is truly in when they get back to work and there is nothing to do.

Or their company will be impacted because some other company they rely on, is still shut down or went out of business, its going to be like dominoes falling.
I'm still working, and my job is really contingent upon the economy opening back up.

I work for a hospital system. We're hemorrhaging money because of the lack of elective procedures and general care due to ramping up for COVID. Locally, we've had around 250 cases total. That's with 21 hospitals in an area bigger than NJ. Most of those have recovered. Many didn't require hospital care. Community spread remains in the single digits per day.

We had to furlough 1,300 people. Lots of other things aren't getting timely care due to COVID. At some point, the perfect can't be the enemy of the good, and we need to open back up to get our employees back to work, as well as to treat patients who are delayed because of COVID.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Are we turning into animals, courtesy of Covid-19?

It's not an apocalyptic disaster, not the end of the world. It's not permanent, it's just a temporary plague of unusual events and upheavals all piled up on each other, and frustrations over the loss of personal instant gratifications and thrills that so many people have come to take for granted as their entitlement.

Be cool, calm and collected and practice getting a firmer grip on your coping skills. Everything will be okay in the long run.

Oh, and animals are more sensible and above all this nonsense that's happening right now. They never worry about such things, they just deal with it and carry on stoically without showing feelings or complaining about pain or hardship.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-17-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not an apocalyptic disaster, not the end of the world. It's not permanent, it's just a temporary plague of unusual events and upheavals all piled up on each other, and frustrations over the loss of personal instant gratifications and thrills that so many people have come to take for granted as their entitlement.
People keep using the word "temporary" without specifying a time limit. Heck, my life is "temporary" as is the life of everyone on here.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:15 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,985 times
Quote:
People keep using the word "temporary" without specifying a time limit. Heck, my life is "temporary" as is the life of everyone on here.
Dude, stop acting like just because someone can't give you a concrete date on a fluid situation that this is forever.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Quote:
Dude, stop acting like just because someone can't give you a concrete date on a fluid situation that this is forever.
You ignore history. Do you remember the "temporary" 55 mph National Maximum Speed Limit that was to last a year, expiring February 28, 1975? That turned out to be December 8, 1995, though I may be off by a day or two. And even with that some states such as Connecticut, New Jersey and New York have only allowed cosmetic lifting of the limit, applying to very few roads.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm still working, and my job is really contingent upon the economy opening back up.

I work for a hospital system. We're hemorrhaging money because of the lack of elective procedures and general care due to ramping up for COVID. Locally, we've had around 250 cases total. That's with 21 hospitals in an area bigger than NJ. Most of those have recovered. Many didn't require hospital care. Community spread remains in the single digits per day.

We had to furlough 1,300 people. Lots of other things aren't getting timely care due to COVID. At some point, the perfect can't be the enemy of the good, and we need to open back up to get our employees back to work, as well as to treat patients who are delayed because of COVID.
I have a feeling many many companies are going to go thru the same exact thing...take for example, the Cincinnati Reds not playing a season in front of fans this year...that will impact EVERY vendor that supplies the stadium, as well as other services, security, cleaning, etc...those vendors buy stuff from other companies, and so on and so on. Plus there is the hotels and restaurants that will loose millions from the Reds not playing...I dont think people realize how bad it is going to be, and how many companies/ industries are going to be impacted!

I heard a guy on the radio say the economy is similar to our economy, every organ has to be up and running for the whole body to survive and function...if a couple organs shut down, it doesnt matter that the remaining organs are working fine, they cannot survive without every organ up and running and doing their part.

THis is why the staged re openings are such a bad idea, people may go back to work,but by the end of the first week, they may find themselves laid off, due to lack of work, not being able to get materials, or no one buying their products right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates