Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 08:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
There are 20 thousand dead people in New York and 20 million residents. Many of them have tested negative.

The death rate cannot be 0.1% or lower. It's higher.
We aren't going to know the death rate until we know the true infection rate. And right now, we don't know.

What we do know:

1) it clearly infected way more % people in New York than California

2) it is slowing in places that were hardest hit.

#1 tells us that lockdown/distancing measures work as they were implemented in CA first back when CA had the most cases (remember that?).

#2 tells us there is likely more prevalence in hardest hit populations with many more mild/asymptomatic than were first suspected. And that herd immunity is building in those hardest hit countries. We're going to find out soon as many nations in Europe are slowly reopening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
We aren't going to know the death rate until we know the true infection rate. And right now, we don't know.

What we do know:

1) it clearly infected way more % people in New York than California

2) it is slowing in places that were hardest hit.

#1 tells us that lockdown/distancing measures work as they were implemented in CA first back when CA had the most cases (remember that?).

#2 tells us there is likely more prevalence in hardest hit populations with many more mild/asymptomatic than were first suspected. And that herd immunity is building in those hardest hit countries. We're going to find out soon as many nations in Europe are slowly reopening.
We will never know the true death count. Current numbers vary by 50%, depending on who is doing the counting. People who die at home will never be autopsied. We have no idea if there is systematic under reporting or over reporting. All it takes is a signature on a death certificate, and if the secretary is sheltering at home, who is going to report it to the CDC?

When reporters start calling hospitals and nursing facilities, they come up with way more corpses than the official count. I have a physician friend in Illinois who says the CDC tests return at least 30% false negatives. Another physician says he is seeing about a 20% fatality rate among 40 year olds, and the majority of the survivors end up with cardiomyopathy, which will probably kill them. How are we supposed to evaluate claims like that?

At the end of the year we can total the deaths, compare it with 2019, and get a rough idea of how many people the virus killed. Right now, we have no clue.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Default Autopsy: Santa Clara patient died of COVID-19 on Feb. 6 — 23 days before 1st U.S. death declared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
. People who die at home will never be autopsied.
[red mine]

People who die at home are autopsied in California, unless perhaps the death does not meet the criteria for autopsy (not sure), for example a dying cancer patient in hospice at home. Again, I don't know if everyone who dies at home is autopsied here, but I know it is not uncommon.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday the Santa Clara County Health Officer reported that, according to autopsies done on two people who died at home in February, 2020, the CDC has confirmed that their deaths were from COVID-19.

They had no known travel to China or elsewhere, so they are considered to have become infected in the community. The earlier of the two deaths was on February 6th, making it the earliest COVID-19 death in the entire nation. The second COVID-19 death in Santa Clara (and the nation) was February 17th.

Prior to this announcement, "The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the first fatality due to coronavirus complications in the United States on Feb. 28. The patient was a resident of Kirkland, Wash".

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-15217371.php

Edited to add: "Investigations and Autopsies
States have different requirements for which deaths require investigation or autopsy. The tables below display characteristics of deaths requiring investigation or autopsy in each state. Footnotes for the tables are available below, along with documents providing information about additional circumstances that do not fall within the categories enumerated in the tables but that might require investigation or autopsy."

Table 1: Selected Characteristics of Death Requiring Investigation by State

https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/docs/corone...estigation.pdf

Table 2: Selected Characteristics of Deaths Requiring Autopsy by State

https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/docs/corone...e2-autopsy.pdf

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-22-2020 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Link to CDC website regarding autopsy requirements by state

Old 04-22-2020, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the links, but they make my point. Only 8 states require autopsy of someone found dead at home.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:33 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Here's some funny math

Media reporting "increase of new cases" when everybody knows that there's not enough tests to test everybody that is sick
Of course the numbers are going to increase

Old 04-23-2020, 06:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
The numbers aren't particularly useful (mostly), only because we aren't able to test a broad enough range of people. This is particularly true in many southern and/or red states that are eager to re-open from the lock-down.

Can't really hang your hat on "our numbers are going down" if you haven't tested anyone to know for sure. NYC is struggling as much as any city but they probably have a clearer picture of what's going on. I don't think any city or state should be pushing for a re-open until they have sufficient levels of testing.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I agree that the numbers are fuzzy because we have not done enough testing and so many people don't have symptoms. You can see the number of people dying per day has dropped from 800 to 500 in NYC. At this point that's the best way to show the rate of spread has slowed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/n...rk-update.html
This is a big problem with it. It isn't as clear but it is very much serious. People use the flu to say it isn't but a lot of the serious symptoms of Covid-19 can mess someone up more so than long lasting effects of the flu. If the flu gets bad it can be pneumonia too. That said, I think Covid is far more severe with bad cases.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The numbers aren't particularly useful (mostly), only because we aren't able to test a broad enough range of people. This is particularly true in many southern and/or red states that are eager to re-open from the lock-down.

Can't really hang your hat on "our numbers are going down" if you haven't tested anyone to know for sure. NYC is struggling as much as any city but they probably have a clearer picture of what's going on. I don't think any city or state should be pushing for a re-open until they have sufficient levels of testing.
That's why I ignore everything but the corpse count. Yes, people who don't die suffer from a range of effects, from clots, stroke, kidney damage, liver damage and heart damage, so the number of people with symptoms is very important, but that doesn't tell us how many are infected. We can assume that better treatment means a smaller percentage of infected people die, but that's the only semi-solid number we have.

My state (Oregon) was one of the first to lock down. The governor is planning a phased reopening. My county (Douglas) is scheduled to reopen on Saturday. We have been static at 23 confirmed cases and 0 deaths for a couple weeks now, and have 700+ negative tests. Understand that my county is the size of Connecticut with only 225,000 residents. There is little reason to penalize rural areas when it's the cities that are promiscuous. Coos County, on the southern Oregon coast has only identified three cases, all in the county jail. It's scheduled to reopen too, though individual towns closed tourist facilities like motels before the state locked down. Visitors are likely to receive a cold welcome.

I'm worried that relaxing restrictions will trigger a rapid spread of CV. I guess we'll see. As long as people observe the six foot rule and wear masks, they think things will be OK.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:26 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
… If I post a story about "Joe Bob, 37, dies of Coronavirus" and that's the headline, everyone gets out of it: OMG anyone can die of this thing!
On a related note, if the story explains Joe Bob was morbidly obese, asthmatic, a smoker, with lung scarring from a childhood disease, it vastly alters one's take-away from the article.

In this culture of being barraged daily with a firehose of conflicting data, not everyone reads more than the headlines, though.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:42 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's why I ignore everything but the corpse count.
The number of confirmed COVID-19 hospital admissions, tallied weekly, can also be a pretty good proxy in an urban area. It’s easy to keep track of confirmed-positive admissions, and the general demographics of the city really aren’t likely to change much over a period of several weeks, so a sustained upward or downward trend in admissions does reflect what the virus is doing in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates