Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:26 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well again, admittedly going through my filter which is that I think he’s on the spectrum, I think he means people shouldn’t have to socialize and he wishes people didn’t socialize so much as part of simply having a job etc. Not because of Covid, but just because it’s something that makes him uncomfortable and he prefers not to have to be around other people. Again though that’s through that particular filter based partly on my 5 years in special ed and years on the boards here. There seems a similar style to posts by people in the spectrum and it just strikes me that way when I read it.
Amen, I'm with ya. It's sort of a dilemma here...I don't want to armchair psych people with an ASD label, but so so many posters here exhibit traits in their posts that would suggest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
He’s not trivializing what people are going through. He’s responding to the original post in the spirit that it was written in. That original poster was not making any kind of a statement about whether the economy should re-open. He’s an introvert (to me maybe on the spectrum) who is enjoying being by himself without the pressure to socialize, and he was simply expressing allowed with unusual honesty what a lot of introverts are thinking “I wish it could always be this way”. He doesn’t actually mean he wishes the economy would crash he isn’t even thinking about any of that. It’s not any deeper IMO than a child on school vacation wishing aloud “I wish we never had to go back”. It doesn’t mean that child is thinking far enough ahead to weigh the consequences of a world in which no one goes to school. He’s just wishing aloud, and so was the OP.

My fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, so we definitely need the economy to be open. But if you took that out of the equation, then yes I am enjoying this greatly. I too am a loner who doesn’t really like to socialize, and this is giving me a built-in excuse. I don’t have to come up with a reason why I don’t want to go to this or that birthday party. Because of that there’s a lot of pressure off and I feel relaxed. It’s just our little family (fiancé, me, two cats) cozy together and I know everyone is safe. I feel less anxiety in that way. We are both enjoying getting things done. He’s done two years worth of honey-do list items in a couple of months. I don’t understand the attitude that if you make the most of the time off, then your trivializing what other people are going through.

Again, my fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, and my mother is in an assisted living that has 15 positive residents and eight positive staff, and I haven’t been able to see her for two months. So I can wish for all that to change, and understand how much of a hardship it is, while still saying I am enjoying this time with my family. No one should have to feel guilty for that.

So while of course I know the economy has to open, I definitely understand and relate to where OP was coming from.

The poster you replied to did not read far enough ahead to realize that people were taking OP’s posts very literally as if he was actually arguing for the economy to stay closed. I truly don’t think he was.
I wasn't addressing the OP's post, but JLB's re: the "boredom" factor.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:40 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wasn't addressing the OP's post, but JLB's re: the "boredom" factor.
Again though, people should not be shamed for making the best of a bad situation. Well for being creative in figuring out how to keep yourself entertained. And he was not addressing whether the economy should be close or open, he was responding to the original post, which he also read as non-political.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:49 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Again though, people should not be shamed for making the best of a bad situation. Well for being creative in figuring out how to keep yourself entertained. And he was not addressing whether the economy should be close or open, he was responding to the original post, which he also read as non-political.
JLB's post contained many, many insulting, closed-minded jabs at anyone he judged not as superior as he believes he is.

I have no problem with anyone sharing how they're getting through this crazy time, assuming they have a couple ounces of humility.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Some states are reopening but deaths are higher than ever and in the Fall the cases are gonna skyrocket again. I don’t want to go back to the way it was. I like staying home and getting paid and playing my video games. It was a really busy world out there. I like peace. This is better.

What’s wrong with playing games and doing what you like? Why do we have to just spend time being busy to feel better? This is why I feel sorry for people who don’t like video games. They have much less to do at home and they just complain. People that like games are helping to slow down the spread.

Looking back, life was really hectic. This change in pace is really great. I think that people should only see other people on special occasions. Schools can just be online. We need change and this pandemic proves that we don’t need school. It’s all a system like The Matrix that we’ve been forced to believe.

I don’t want to go back the old way.
I have to say, I kinda agree with the OP with some reservations. Those reservations mostly revolve around the MANY people out of work and facing real struggles just to feed their kids. I know what a terrible situation that is from when I was a kid. People need to get back to work if they are going to survive.

That being said, my life has been just great during the lockdown. My business is considered "essential", so I'm out appraising houses every day, driving around, chatting with customers, etc. My finances haven't changed (other than that minor $ 250,000 hit to my stock account which I'll probably never live to spend anyway). And did I mention, the LA traffic is absolutely glorious! 25 minutes or less to get anywhere. As far as socializing, I chat with my buddies and my Son almost every day. I play a couple hours of chess online with one of them. I have a boat that I can hang out on for a change in scenery. And yes, Einhander, I play at least an hour of Halo every day and I'm 67. All in all, I'm having a great time. But I could sure use a haircut. This "mullet" thing I've got going just ain't that pretty.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:23 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
All in all, I'm having a great time. But I could sure use a haircut. This "mullet" thing I've got going just ain't that pretty.
Hehe Mike I'm stepping out of the office ("Essential") in about two hours for a haircut that was close to being needed when this all went down in March. It's a wavy mess and out of control, that #2 razor shaving off my "side wings" is going to be GLORIOUS.

I miss seeing friends and fellow roleplaying gamers at the table, but we've moved our D&D campaigns to the web-based Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds online tabletop programs. I kind of like not having to drive 45-50 minutes into downtown Denver to play (and park!), but miss ordering group dinner from Cluster Truck.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 AM

586 posts, read 314,290 times
Default Do you also want it shut?

No. I want my life back.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post

We shut down in order to "flatten the curve". Now people want to move the goal line to eliminate all risk. Well, that is simply not sustainable.
Amen. I wish people would realize that LIFE is one big risk. Sad, but true.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Those of you who "can do this" until there's not one case -- that time will never come, and a treatment or vaccine aren't guaranteed, so that means FOREVER -- speak for a very small minority. Certainly not for those who have to go back out there in order to save their businesses or survive, either physically or mentally. If you're terrified of this virus (as if you would never die if you didn't catch it), no one is stopping you from continuing to self-quarantine. That shouldn't and can't be imposed on everyone. People aren't going to take this much longer.
I think there will be a vaccine before too long but if not I think this will work just like other disease epidemics have in the past. There was a concern and some panic about AIDS and ZIKA and Bird Flu but as information came out people learned what the new rules were and felt confident enough to return to routines. There is little purpose to run out and save your business if people have no confidence or intention to come through your door. That will be the test— whether there is sufficient public confidence to come out. If this current spate of reopenings simply triggers a worse second wave than the first, we will have a very difficult time.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:31 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think there will be a vaccine before too long but if not I think this will work just like other disease epidemics have in the past. There was a concern and some panic about AIDS and ZIKA and Bird Flu but as information came out people learned what the new rules were and felt confident enough to return to routines. There is little purpose to run out and save your business if people have no confidence or intention to come through your door. That will be the test— whether there is sufficient public confidence to come out. If this current spate of reopenings simply triggers a worse second wave than the first, we will have a very difficult time.
I wouldn't add AIDS into this simply because the actions for it to be spread aren't comparable to Covid. Even Zika isn't real straight line comparable since there's an insect vector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates