Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 07:44 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Those that have died have OVERWHELMINGLY been elderly with co-morbidities; surely you can figure that much out without my help. If you're under 65 and healthy, your chances of dying are extremely small. In a vulnerable population and/or scared out of your wits? Stay home. No one has the authority to lock EVERYONE down indefinitely.
Maybe the majority of those who have died were older with co-morbidities. It doesn't change the fact that plenty of young people have died or been critically ill in a hospital.

There was a 45 year old congressman from my state, Ben MacAdams, was hospitalized for a week and placed on oxygen for this disease. That alone, is pretty clear evidence that CV is a serious problem. We are just starting to understand this disease and we are seeing children with inflammatory disorders that have been fatal in some cases that seem to have been caused by CV. Who knows what we will see in six more months or a year? This disease is something brand new. Something we've never encountered before. No one should approach it with the kind of cavalier attitude that I see you doing. I doubt if someone in your family was one of the 88,000 who have so far died from this disease that would you continue minimizing it the way you do here.

It is important to keep the economy functioning. However, I will always choose human life and limb over dollar signs. The other aspect to it is that if you don't get some control over this disease through a widespread robust testing program many people will choose not to patronize businesses. The economy will continue to be weak and a recession will be widespread. In short, aggressive measures against CV are good for business as well as for public health.

I just wish before people like you would sound off on this issue that you'd approach things a little more logically and with some scientific basis for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Plenty of young people die in traffic accidents, yet the roads remain open. Take your own advice and approach the subject of mortality (which, by the way, in inescapable no matter what we do) a little more "logically" yourself. If you're terrified. STAY QUARANTINED. No one is stopping you.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Plenty of young people die in traffic accidents, yet the roads remain open. Take your own advice and approach the subject of mortality (which, by the way, in inescapable no matter what we do) a little more "logically" yourself. If you're terrified. STAY QUARANTINED. No one is stopping you.
The "you do what you want" and "I'll do what I want" axiom that conservatives are always uttering doesn't work when it comes to infectious disease. If we lock up the elderly or those more prone to dying from the disease, we can't lock up all their caregivers.

Nor, does your approach keep hospitals from being overwhelmed by covid cases.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. All those businesses in such a hurry to open up will find a large percentage of their customers aren't coming back until we have more of a handle on this disease. Many of them will be opening up to a mere handful of customers.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Seems the the elderly in nursing homes have already been infected in huge numbers despite the lockdown, so how's that working for them?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Same. I'm watching my entire professional career and life's work, 2.5 decades worth, being flushed irrevocably. It is extremely likely I'll have to start completely over in a new career, as a middle aged man. I'll never come close to matching my current income that I worked so hard to attain. I'm so angry I can't put it into words sufficiently. This isn't unique to me as many of my dear friends are in the same boat.
I'll bet that's exactly how the dot-com folks felt when their bubble broke. Except - they weren't risking death wherever they ended up.

Think of it this way: it's extremely possible that you might have the opportunity to discover a whole new career, and you're still only middle-aged so you have more than half of your adult life left to experience it. If you're middle aged, it means you're probably around 50, and didn't even start working in your career until you were close to 25. There are people who don't start a career until they're well into their 50's and 60's. Often it's by choice, though many times it's by circumstance.

So between now and age 75 you have 25 years left of productive working life, and you can still retire if you're healthy - and alive - with plenty of active time left to enjoy your retirement.

You are fortunate that you have experienced 25 years of successful worklife and career. Many kids graduating high school and college this year won't have that opportunity, because the companies they would have STARTED in, no longer exist.

The good news, is that this upcoming generation of young adults has lived through some first-world atrocities, such as school shootings, 9/11 and domestic terrorism attacks, having friends and sometimes even families ripped from their lives and stuck in cages or deported to countries they weren't even born in, and so on. They understand hardship on a global scale, and some on a personal level. MOST of them want to just get through all of this alive, and MOST of them have a pretty positive attitude about wearing masks, social distancing, learning from online courses, the concept of working from home, helping their communities.

Perhaps they will teach you best how to handle your anger.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:23 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Hahaha I wasn’t sure if this is a joke post, but there is a little bit of truth here if you search for it. This has exposed that many people are, frankly, incredibly boring and they actually see the world the opposite way so for them up is down and down is up. If you are “bored” during the lockdown, odds are you’re just a really boring person who hides a low IQ or lack of hobbies with constant social interaction. And I’ve noticed this IS most true of people who don’t game. They get home and have nothing to do but sit around and watch Netflix, so of course they get bored - it’s boring to watch TV or movies all day long and that’s coming from someone who used to do that for a film review site and I work in the industry, so I watch maybe 10 movies a week. Sometimes more. But even I need to keep busy doing things and video games provide a sense of challenge, achievement (even in the virtual world), and often great storytelling and social time too. I play at least once a week with my friend 900 miles away and we game for around 5-6 hours each time. It’s not quite as good as hanging out in person but it’s a lot of fun.

The thing is, it doesn’t have to be video games, it could be board games with your husband / wife, it could be writing (I do that too), it could be reading, it could be arts and crafts, it could be cooking, it could be all kinds of things. If you “need” to leave the house to be entertained either your house sucks really badly or you’re just an insanely boring person. There is so much to do in the world and the vast majority of it can be done at home. What are you really missing outside? A bar? The restaurants? I’ll accept hiking if you can’t do that where you are, but many people I know are still boating and hiking and that kind of stuff too. Sure, on special occasions you want to hit up a theme park or go travel the world or see a show and of course sports events, those are all great, and it’s ok to miss all of those things and want them back. Nobody wants to go a lifetime without. But it shouldn’t be the end of the world to have to entertain yourself at home - you should have more than enough hobbies for that. I have a stack of 15 games I still haven’t played and probably another 30 I’d like to come back to, and still haven’t had enough time for that. I have 6 scripts I’m editing. I have books to read. There is so much to do, better to get busy doing it than sit around moaning that somehow because you can’t go chatter to some other equally vapid human that life isn’t worth living lol.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hahaha I wasn’t sure if this is a joke post, but there is a little bit of truth here if you search for it. This has exposed that many people are, frankly, incredibly boring and they actually see the world the opposite way so for them up is down and down is up. If you are “bored” during the lockdown, odds are you’re just a really boring person who hides a low IQ or lack of hobbies with constant social interaction. And I’ve noticed this IS most true of people who don’t game. They get home and have nothing to do but sit around and watch Netflix, so of course they get bored - it’s boring to watch TV or movies all day long and that’s coming from someone who used to do that for a film review site and I work in the industry, so I watch maybe 10 movies a week. Sometimes more. But even I need to keep busy doing things and video games provide a sense of challenge, achievement (even in the virtual world), and often great storytelling and social time too. I play at least once a week with my friend 900 miles away and we game for around 5-6 hours each time. It’s not quite as good as hanging out in person but it’s a lot of fun.

The thing is, it doesn’t have to be video games, it could be board games with your husband / wife, it could be writing (I do that too), it could be reading, it could be arts and crafts, it could be cooking, it could be all kinds of things. If you “need” to leave the house to be entertained either your house sucks really badly or you’re just an insanely boring person. There is so much to do in the world and the vast majority of it can be done at home. What are you really missing outside? A bar? The restaurants? I’ll accept hiking if you can’t do that where you are, but many people I know are still boating and hiking and that kind of stuff too. Sure, on special occasions you want to hit up a theme park or go travel the world or see a show and of course sports events, those are all great, and it’s ok to miss all of those things and want them back. Nobody wants to go a lifetime without. But it shouldn’t be the end of the world to have to entertain yourself at home - you should have more than enough hobbies for that. I have a stack of 15 games I still haven’t played and probably another 30 I’d like to come back to, and still haven’t had enough time for that. I have 6 scripts I’m editing. I have books to read. There is so much to do, better to get busy doing it than sit around moaning that somehow because you can’t go chatter to some other equally vapid human that life isn’t worth living lol.
Believe it or not, in many, many states, you can't EVEN hike (on any established trail) or boat, etc. You can go for a walk and go to the grocery store, period. Also, some people are single and live entirely alone, so it's a bit hard to play board games or cards with yourself. Finally, "boredom" is hardly the most pressing problem people are experiencing now; try no money for 2 1/2 months, losing the small business you worked all your life to build, having to quit your job due to no day care and school, missing cancer treatments, or being unable to visit your loved one in a hospital or SNF. Way to trivialize what folks are going through.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:35 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, in many, many states, you can't EVEN hike (on any established trail) or boat, etc. You can go for a walk and go to the grocery store, period. Also, some people are single and live entirely alone, so it's a bit hard to play board games or cards with yourself. Finally, "boredom" is hardly the most pressing problem people are experiencing now; try no money for 2 1/2 months, losing the small business you worked all your life to build, having to quit your job due to no day care and school, missing cancer treatments, or being unable to visit your loved one in a hospital or SNF. Way to trivialize what folks are going through.
He’s not trivializing what people are going through. He’s responding to the original post in the spirit that it was written in. That original poster was not making any kind of a statement about whether the economy should re-open. He’s an introvert (to me maybe on the spectrum) who is enjoying being by himself without the pressure to socialize, and he was simply expressing allowed with unusual honesty what a lot of introverts are thinking “I wish it could always be this way”. He doesn’t actually mean he wishes the economy would crash he isn’t even thinking about any of that. It’s not any deeper IMO than a child on school vacation wishing aloud “I wish we never had to go back”. It doesn’t mean that child is thinking far enough ahead to weigh the consequences of a world in which no one goes to school. He’s just wishing aloud, and so was the OP.

My fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, so we definitely need the economy to be open. But if you took that out of the equation, then yes I am enjoying this greatly. I too am a loner who doesn’t really like to socialize, and this is giving me a built-in excuse. I don’t have to come up with a reason why I don’t want to go to this or that birthday party. Because of that there’s a lot of pressure off and I feel relaxed. It’s just our little family (fiancé, me, two cats) cozy together and I know everyone is safe. I feel less anxiety in that way. We are both enjoying getting things done. He’s done two years worth of honey-do list items in a couple of months. I don’t understand the attitude that if you make the most of the time off, then your trivializing what other people are going through.

Again, my fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, and my mother is in an assisted living that has 15 positive residents and eight positive staff, and I haven’t been able to see her for two months. So I can wish for all that to change, and understand how much of a hardship it is, while still saying I am enjoying this time with my family. No one should have to feel guilty for that.

So while of course I know the economy has to open, I definitely understand and relate to where OP was coming from.

The poster you replied to did not read far enough ahead to realize that people were taking OP’s posts very literally as if he was actually arguing for the economy to stay closed. I truly don’t think he was.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He’s not trivializing what people are going through. He’s responding to the original post in the spirit that it was written in. That original poster was not making any kind of a statement about whether the economy should re-open. He’s an introvert (to me maybe on the spectrum) who is enjoying being by himself without the pressure to socialize, and he was simply expressing allowed with unusual honesty what a lot of introverts are thinking “I wish it could always be this way”. He doesn’t actually mean he wishes the economy would crash he isn’t even thinking about any of that. It’s not any deeper IMO than a child on school vacation wishing aloud “I wish we never had to go back”. It doesn’t mean that child is thinking far enough ahead to weigh the consequences of a world in which no one goes to school. He’s just wishing aloud, and so was the OP.

My fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, so we definitely need the economy to be open. But if you took that out of the equation, then yes I am enjoying this greatly. I too am a loner who doesn’t really like to socialize, and this is giving me a built-in excuse. I don’t have to come up with a reason why I don’t want to go to this or that birthday party. Because of that there’s a lot of pressure off and I feel relaxed. It’s just our little family (fiancé, me, two cats) cozy together and I know everyone is safe. I feel less anxiety in that way. We are both enjoying getting things done. He’s done two years worth of honey-do list items in a couple of months. I don’t understand the attitude that if you make the most of the time off, then your trivializing what other people are going through.

Again, my fiancé and I don’t have any income coming in, and my mother is in an assisted living that has 15 positive residents and eight positive staff, and I haven’t been able to see her for two months. So I can wish for all that to change, and understand how much of a hardship it is, while still saying I am enjoying this time with my family. No one should have to feel guilty for that.

So while of course I know the economy has to open, I definitely understand and relate to where OP was coming from.

The poster you replied to did not read far enough ahead to realize that people were taking OP’s posts very literally as if he was actually arguing for the economy to stay closed. I truly don’t think he was.
I appreciate the sentiment and also the underlying suggestion that we consider the OP's possible personality issues, but he DOES make some pretty prescriptive statements in his OP.

While many could possibly read between the lines, it's not surprising all can't. The OP even says people shouldn't see each other very often. That's not simply sharing about his own desires.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:22 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I appreciate the sentiment and also the underlying suggestion that we consider the OP's possible personality issues, but he DOES make some pretty prescriptive statements in his OP.

While many could possibly read between the lines, it's not surprising all can't. The OP even says people shouldn't see each other very often. That's not simply sharing about his own desires.
Well again, admittedly going through my filter which is that I think he’s on the spectrum, I think he means people shouldn’t have to socialize and he wishes people didn’t socialize so much as part of simply having a job etc. Not because of Covid, but just because it’s something that makes him uncomfortable and he prefers not to have to be around other people. Again though that’s through that particular filter based partly on my 5 years in special ed and years on the boards here. There seems a similar style to posts by people in the spectrum and it just strikes me that way when I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates