Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This shutdown has revealed two sides. You have people who have secure jobs they can do from home. For them this is just a blip on the radar. Yes, their 401k's have taken a hit, but they like the slower pace of life, and their continued paycheck. Oh, and a stimulus check was a nice bonus. These people prefer that we stay shutdown.

Then there are the rest of the crowd. There are millions of people who lost their jobs overnight. There are business owners who are desperate as they are losing their livelihoods. Our food supply chain is in chaos. Processing plants for meat and dairy have been shut down and now farmers have nowhere to send their products. Many are going bankrupt because they can't get their product to market but at the same time prices for the consumer will go up. It's a mess.

We shut down in order to "flatten the curve". Now people want to move the goal line to eliminate all risk. Well, that is simply not sustainable.
This is true. I have determined who has saved for a rainy day and who lives paycheck to paycheck. Personally I would rather things remain shut down. One of my coworkers has come down with covid like symptoms and went for testing today. I just hope I don’t get it... I would not survive it. I can’t breathe on a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 02:45 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Some states are reopening but deaths are higher than ever and in the Fall the cases are gonna skyrocket again. I don’t want to go back to the way it was. I like staying home and getting paid and playing my video games. It was a really busy world out there. I like peace. This is better.

What’s wrong with playing games and doing what you like? Why do we have to just spend time being busy to feel better? This is why I feel sorry for people who don’t like video games. They have much less to do at home and they just complain. People that like games are helping to slow down the spread.

Looking back, life was really hectic. This change in pace is really great. I think that people should only see other people on special occasions. Schools can just be online. We need change and this pandemic proves that we don’t need school. It’s all a system like The Matrix that we’ve been forced to believe.

I don’t want to go back the old way.
Sounds like you are enjoying retirement. Congrats on your planning and smart investing.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
So you're okay with just sitting around and playing video games all day and not having any human contact? Sounds like a pitiful and pointless existence to me.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
There is a difference between choosing to live that kind of life and being forced to. Personally, the thought of life being reduced to sitting at home and going to the grocery store is absurd (even worse when you live alone). That's not living, that's existing.
Check out "The Machine Stops" by E. M. Forster (written in 1909); everyone lives alone underground typing on a computer to each other. Agree; that's not a life, especially when you're single and have no family. Ultimately, those who want to stay home should stay home; let the rest of us out...

Old 04-28-2020, 04:55 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times
Again, we have the challenge of refuting the improbable notions of those who expect agreement wherever they can dig it up. But why advocate for something so damaging, yes, you need to realize that there are more players in the real game than those on your screen, and most of those players are actually connected to a far different reality.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe

But without any doubt, the politicians will tell you whatever you want to hear. They've fouled up the response to this crisis and they're desperate to play on your hopes.

The public health people are concerned with "public health" strangely enough.
People dont seem to recognize that our govt (the politicians), are not always going to tell the public everything...they withhold some information, in the attempt to keep people hopeful and under control (obedient and compliant).

For instance, if people were getting re infected and/or they started dying from heart, lung, liver damage, done by the virus, (when they thought they had gotten over it)...this would NOT be a good thing to tell the general public...at a time when you want them to remain hopeful.

The people who write the speeches for Trump and any other Govt spokesperson, has to be under immense pressure right now, Im sure there are many things they can and cannot include in the speeches, and Im sure that changes daily too.

Ive learned to 'read between the lines'...when I hear a Govt spokesperson speaking, its pretty easy to recognize when they are just trying to maintain control or to keep people hopeful and when they are outright lying out of their teeth.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People dont seem to recognize that our govt (the politicians), are not always going to tell the public everything...they withhold some information, in the attempt to keep people hopeful and under control (obedient and compliant).

For instance, if people were getting re infected and/or they started dying from heart, lung, liver damage, done by the virus, (when they thought they had gotten over it)...this would NOT be a good thing to tell the general public...at a time when you want them to remain hopeful.
Assuming that people are too stupid to see what's happening in front of their eyes and peddling "happy talk" about unproven remedies isn't the way to show leadership in a crisis.

Churchill is remembered for being straightforward during Britain's darkest hours in WW2, not for trying to convince them that "All's well. Everything is under control. Don't worry. We'll beat Hitler any day now."

Most folks don't react well to being lied to.

Quote:
The people who write the speeches for Trump and any other Govt spokesperson, has to be under immense pressure right now, Im sure there are many things they can and cannot include in the speeches, and Im sure that changes daily too.
Going off script and into meandering soliloquies of baloney flavored fantasy is what gives a guy the reputation of being a snake oil salesman.
Quote:
Ive learned to 'read between the lines'...when I hear a Govt spokesperson speaking, its pretty easy to recognize when they are just trying to maintain control or to keep people hopeful and when they are outright lying out of their teeth.
I've learned to keep my BS filter in working order.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

And it turns out that MANY people, including the OP, love their servitude! Happy, unthinking, and obedient. The experiment has been a success.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:13 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And it turns out that MANY people, including the OP, love their servitude! Happy, unthinking, and obedient. The experiment has been a success.
I don’t think he’s being obedient, he didn’t say a word about following orders. He’s just saying he wishes the socializing would never come back as he is enjoying a break from a world full of people. I just think he’s an extreme introvert maybe Aspie, who is thinking out loud that he wishes life could always be him alone. There is not one political syllable in his posts.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think he’s being obedient, he didn’t say a word about following orders. He’s just saying he wishes the socializing would never come back as he is enjoying a break from a world full of people. I just think he’s an extreme introvert maybe Aspie, who is thinking out loud that he wishes life could always be him alone. There is not one political syllable in his posts.
Granted, and for the most part I agree, but he's inadvertently "obeying" and did mention a fear of the death rate going up when/if we reopen; it's not just that he likes staying home, getting paid, and playing video games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates