Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Did you bother even reading any of it? I'm quite sure what you seek would be there. And the reason I did all of that is what I stated in my earlier post.
You have not now or before named a single viable authority claiming that covering one's mouth and nose does not mitigate the spread of virus carrying particles. There is a reason face coverings have been used in over a hundred years of medical practice.

Rather than being "quite sure" what's in an article, why not read it for content?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:12 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You have not now or before named a single viable authority claiming that covering one's mouth and nose does not mitigate the spread of virus carrying particles. There is a reason face coverings have been used in over a hundred years of medical practice.

Rather than being "quite sure" what's in an article, why not read it for content?

No, you're right. I didn't name any viable authority. I did post that WHO and the CDC has conflicting arguments whether or not the masks would help.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:11 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
No, you're right. I didn't name any viable authority. I did post that WHO and the CDC has conflicting arguments whether or not the masks would help.
Posting articles from over a month ago that refer to masks as defensive measures is not responsive to the question of masks as a preventive measure to spreading virus particles. It is too bad you want to continue to press the point but apparently are unable to understand that masks are to be worn to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus they may not even know they have not necessarily to protect the wearer.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:14 AM

19,714 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
I don't wear it. It's not because I don't like being told what to do or making a statement. Not because of my political views either.

Ya know why? Doctors and the WHO say to and not to wear one. It's hard to follow something where they change things every so often.

Yet I do honor the social distancing. I respect others spaces. Don't shake hands or anything. Just keep to myself and my wife. Even flew into Seattle and Houston. No signs or symptoms.

I understand it's not about me. Just refer back to these professionals that can't agree on whether or not a mask will help.
I've been noticing this, too. The constant flip flopping has been going on for months. Even just last night on the news they were talking about how masks are basically ineffective.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This! Why are there still no masks in the stores? People have been buying home-made ones from online vendors. We're now 2-3 months into this crisis, but industry hasn't been able to step up production? What gives?!
It's not just about sneezes and coughs. The mere act of breathing can spread the virus via exhaled droplets in the breath. That's why Austria saw a 90% drop in cases, after they mandated mask-wearing in public at all times.
Have you tried using google to see who has face masks in your area? Our store has carried them for at least 3 weeks.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I also see a lot of folks who say don't trust WHO or Dr Fauci. So which is it?

There is a lot of evidence that they DO help against transmission by dampening sneezes and coughs.
I don't need a mask to "damper" sneezes and coughs. Unlike some pigs out there, I never coughed or sneezed with my mouth wide open, spreading germs everywhere. I didn't even cough or sneeze into my hands. I coughed into my shirt or coat at the elbow area, covering my face when I did so. Which is ALL that most of these masks are doing. Therefore, I do not need to wear one to protect you, because I was already being courteous long before this stupid virus showed up.

Unlike some people, I don't need the government to tell me how not to spread my spit and snot all over the place.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Posting articles from over a month ago that refer to masks as defensive measures is not responsive to the question of masks as a preventive measure to spreading virus particles. It is too bad you want to continue to press the point but apparently are unable to understand that masks are to be worn to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus they may not even know they have not necessarily to protect the wearer.

You just like to argue, I get that. And so what the articles are over a month ago. If that's the case, nothing has changed, right? I understand about the masks, I have to use one at work. You're just insinuating that you know everything and look down on people that does not agree on your chain of thought. It is too bad that you are very argumentative.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I've been noticing this, too. The constant flip flopping has been going on for months. Even just last night on the news they were talking about how masks are basically ineffective.
Yes thank you for noticing the flip flop. Apparently in here when you point out things like this, you get called out and OMG you're the devil if you don't wear a mask. Like another poster stated, we've been covering our mouths and noses when we sneeze or cough, before the government "mandated" you wear the fashion and political statement mask. Even if some professionals say that the mask MAY or MAY NOT help. That's the point I was issuing before getting attacked by CooCoo or whatever it's name is.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
stop being spoiled children about public health advisories. Stop bitching about wearing a mask when you’re in public places. Stop pretending that that is somehow infringing on your rights. Get over yourself. I wish all businesses would grow a pair and refuse service to people who refuse to wear a mask “out of principle.” Police aren’t inclined to enforce it and that’s fine but, spoiler alert, private businesses have and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Don’t tell me it’s ok for a bakery to refuse service to a gay couple for a wedding cake on religious grounds but not ok for a convenience store to refuse service because they don’t want the outbreak monkey strolling through their place coughing all over other patrons and their staff. Stay outside the 6ft bubble, wear a damn mask, and wash your hands. It’s that easy. Stop pretending they’re asking for a kidney. It’s as much to protect yourself as it is everyone else. People wonder why we have things like stay-at-home orders and closing of non-essential businesses. It’s because of you, jackass, you’re the problem. It’s your lack of ability to exercise common sense and your refusal to follow simple, insanely simple advice that forces the government to exercise it for you. And even then, you still thumb your nose at it in all your ignorant glory. Sorry that you feel like they’re infringing on your right to be an irresponsible child.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:19 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't need a mask to "damper" sneezes and coughs. Unlike some pigs out there, I never coughed or sneezed with my mouth wide open, spreading germs everywhere. I didn't even cough or sneeze into my hands. I coughed into my shirt or coat at the elbow area, covering my face when I did so. Which is ALL that most of these masks are doing. Therefore, I do not need to wear one to protect you, because I was already being courteous long before this stupid virus showed up.

Unlike some people, I don't need the government to tell me how not to spread my spit and snot all over the place.
Well are you one of those who must defend yourself against someone else’s sneezing by knocking them out or shooting them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates