Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
stop being spoiled children about public health advisories. Stop bitching about wearing a mask when you’re in public places. Stop pretending that that is somehow infringing on your rights. Get over yourself. I wish all businesses would grow a pair and refuse service to people who refuse to wear a mask “out of principle.” Police aren’t inclined to enforce it and that’s fine but, spoiler alert, private businesses have and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Don’t tell me it’s ok for a bakery to refuse service to a gay couple for a wedding cake on religious grounds but not ok for a convenience store to refuse service because they don’t want the outbreak monkey strolling through their place coughing all over other patrons and their staff. Stay outside the 6ft bubble, wear a damn mask, and wash your hands. It’s that easy. Stop pretending they’re asking for a kidney. It’s as much to protect yourself as it is everyone else. People wonder why we have things like stay-at-home orders and closing of non-essential businesses. It’s because of you, jackass, you’re the problem. It’s your lack of ability to exercise common sense and your refusal to follow simple, insanely simple advice that forces the government to exercise it for you. And even then, you still thumb your nose at it in all your ignorant glory. Sorry that you feel like they’re infringing on your right to be an irresponsible child.
I don’t care who wears a mask and who doesn’t. Let everyone do what they want, including me. And stay away from me as I will be wearing a mask as needed. It’s another perfect way to divide and know thine enemy.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
stop being spoiled children about public health advisories. Stop bitching about wearing a mask when you’re in public places. Stop pretending that that is somehow infringing on your rights. Get over yourself. I wish all businesses would grow a pair and refuse service to people who refuse to wear a mask “out of principle.” Police aren’t inclined to enforce it and that’s fine but, spoiler alert, private businesses have and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Don’t tell me it’s ok for a bakery to refuse service to a gay couple for a wedding cake on religious grounds but not ok for a convenience store to refuse service because they don’t want the outbreak monkey strolling through their place coughing all over other patrons and their staff. Stay outside the 6ft bubble, wear a damn mask, and wash your hands. It’s that easy. Stop pretending they’re asking for a kidney. It’s as much to protect yourself as it is everyone else. People wonder why we have things like stay-at-home orders and closing of non-essential businesses. It’s because of you, jackass, you’re the problem. It’s your lack of ability to exercise common sense and your refusal to follow simple, insanely simple advice that forces the government to exercise it for you. And even then, you still thumb your nose at it in all your ignorant glory. Sorry that you feel like they’re infringing on your right to be an irresponsible child.

This. Our country has become dumb af.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...led-comparison

WHO has stated thete isn't much evidence indicating they help much.
I stopped reading after the title, "Effectiveness of Surgical and Cotton Masks in Blocking SARS–CoV-2: A Controlled Comparison in 4 Patients"

A study of 4 Patients? LOL.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:45 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, it’s destroying the job market and people’s livelihood.

It’s a miracle things haven’t turned violent at this point.

But the world is finally starting to see herd immunity is the only logical choice here. You can’t hide and pray this virus away or hope some vaccine will arrive before the economy collapses.
Well, it is being coupled with that. States are opening up, often in stages, but they are opening. You surely don’t expect that in a week everything will be back the way it was! That won’t happen.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:52 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
DeanGuitarist, I think that it's pretty important to address your point. I did go and read ALL of the articles that you shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Why don't you, since you're asking.

I mean, here's something for you...

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-...e-masks-2020-4

Here's another one for you...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...id-19-says-who

Did you miss this one?

https://thehill.com/changing-america...sk-can-protect

As I've said in last post, conflicting arguments about if a mask helps or not...

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/wh...d-19-infection

Who to believe? That is the ultimate question I think everyone should be asking. I don't mean to be anal about it at all.

It's like... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
All of them are basically rehashings of the same source material by different news outlets. If you read one of these, you've pretty much read them all.

I get that we are bombarded with a lot of information, that we see tons of headlines, which often don't tell the whole story, but if the headline reaffirms what we WANT to believe, then lots of people will latch onto it to justify a position that they hold.

The main thing here... The WHO, was putting about that masks will not necessarily protect people from catching the virus, and is questioning if they should be worn.

Here's what's up with that: When this came out, they were really freaked about PPE shortages for front line workers.
What nobody wants: Regular folks buying up all of the medical grade masks, leaving too few for medical pros. That's bad. Medical pros wearing improvised cloth face coverings rather than proper PPE, because there is a supply shortage and some folks seem to think that a bandanna is somehow good enough. Also bad. People getting a BS false sense of security from going around wearing face coverings, thinking they can simply go back to life as normal because they tied a sock across their face. Also bad.

THIS is what the WHO had behind the rationale of saying, "but should everybody actually wear a mask?"

What they said instead? Medical pros and front line essential personnel should wear proper PPE and EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD STAY THE HELL HOME.

Are you staying home?

I doubt it.

What the WHO was definitely not saying, is that America's population ought to go right on ahead and wander around public bare faced, getting as close to others as they damn well please, because you can't protect yourself anyways and might just as well git back in da pool.

So don't twist the message they were putting out there, to mean that.

What really SHOULD be taken from the concerns posited by the WHO, that has not been clearly stated in these articles (because they are click bait, and you get clicks by appealing to what certain folks want to hear) is this:

Regular Americans should stay home as much as possible, but we understand that some trade must continue or the economy will be destroyed, so for when you MUST go out, please do not buy up all the damn N95s and whatever that our doctors and nurses need, but do wear the more available face coverings, NOT to protect you from inhaling any possible virus, but rather to better contain your moisture laden breath that could carry it further from yourself. At the same time, along WITH covering your face, do your absolute best to keep 6 feet of distance between you and others, because WITH A MASK on both people, and at that distance, you're both actually pretty safe.

We do not want high quality filtering PPE to be diverted from the medical community - they need it most.
We don't want nurses wearing bandannas. They are treating patients who can't be masked and are spewing viral particles everywhere.
We don't want people to have a false sense of security and think they can be all up close to others, hugging and crowding like normal, just because they covered their faces with bandannas.

But if you're going to say, "well I dunno, the WHO says I don't need a mask" then you should go all the way and actually follow their direction, and not leave your house at all. That's what they say you (and everyone more or less) should do. You gonna do that? I doubt it.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Well are you one of those who must defend yourself against someone else’s sneezing by knocking them out or shooting them?
According to the "wear your mask!!!!!" crowd, the masks are not to protect ME, they are to protect YOU.

So, that mask doesn't protect ME if someone else sneezes and sprays their spittle and snot all over the place.

Further, I've already said it at least 5 or more times, when some ahole does that, I leave. I don't stand there, like so many others do, and just let the germs come on in. I leave.

I'm already a germaphobe. Half the stuff you all are just now doing, I've already been doing, but I will not wear a mask.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
According to the "wear your mask!!!!!" crowd, the masks are not to protect ME, they are to protect YOU.

So, that mask doesn't protect ME if someone else sneezes and sprays their spittle and snot all over the place.

Further, I've already said it at least 5 or more times, when some ahole does that, I leave. I don't stand there, like so many others do, and just let the germs come on in. I leave.

I'm already a germaphobe. Half the stuff you all are just now doing, I've already been doing, but I will not wear a mask.
I doubt you could leave fast enough from an unexpected explosive cough or sneeze. The mask might provide limited help in such a case. But why aren’t you interested in protecting others? Why aren’t you interested in being a good citizen?

Old 05-14-2020, 01:14 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
DeanGuitarist, I think that it's pretty important to address your point. I did go and read ALL of the articles that you shared.

All of them are basically rehashings of the same source material by different news outlets. If you read one of these, you've pretty much read them all.

I get that we are bombarded with a lot of information, that we see tons of headlines, which often don't tell the whole story, but if the headline reaffirms what we WANT to believe, then lots of people will latch onto it to justify a position that they hold.

The main thing here... The WHO, was putting about that masks will not necessarily protect people from catching the virus, and is questioning if they should be worn.

Here's what's up with that: When this came out, they were really freaked about PPE shortages for front line workers.
What nobody wants: Regular folks buying up all of the medical grade masks, leaving too few for medical pros. That's bad. Medical pros wearing improvised cloth face coverings rather than proper PPE, because there is a supply shortage and some folks seem to think that a bandanna is somehow good enough. Also bad. People getting a BS false sense of security from going around wearing face coverings, thinking they can simply go back to life as normal because they tied a sock across their face. Also bad.

THIS is what the WHO had behind the rationale of saying, "but should everybody actually wear a mask?"

What they said instead? Medical pros and front line essential personnel should wear proper PPE and EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD STAY THE HELL HOME.

Are you staying home?

I doubt it.

What the WHO was definitely not saying, is that America's population ought to go right on ahead and wander around public bare faced, getting as close to others as they damn well please, because you can't protect yourself anyways and might just as well git back in da pool.

So don't twist the message they were putting out there, to mean that.

What really SHOULD be taken from the concerns posited by the WHO, that has not been clearly stated in these articles (because they are click bait, and you get clicks by appealing to what certain folks want to hear) is this:

Regular Americans should stay home as much as possible, but we understand that some trade must continue or the economy will be destroyed, so for when you MUST go out, please do not buy up all the damn N95s and whatever that our doctors and nurses need, but do wear the more available face coverings, NOT to protect you from inhaling any possible virus, but rather to better contain your moisture laden breath that could carry it further from yourself. At the same time, along WITH covering your face, do your absolute best to keep 6 feet of distance between you and others, because WITH A MASK on both people, and at that distance, you're both actually pretty safe.

We do not want high quality filtering PPE to be diverted from the medical community - they need it most.
We don't want nurses wearing bandannas. They are treating patients who can't be masked and are spewing viral particles everywhere.
We don't want people to have a false sense of security and think they can be all up close to others, hugging and crowding like normal, just because they covered their faces with bandannas.

But if you're going to say, "well I dunno, the WHO says I don't need a mask" then you should go all the way and actually follow their direction, and not leave your house at all. That's what they say you (and everyone more or less) should do. You gonna do that? I doubt it.
There ought to at least be an effort to produce enough "high quality filtering PPE" for all of us. Effectively taking N95 masks off the market is not helping.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 PM

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20485449

Here is a link to what the Mayo Clinic says about face masks. It is not a long article. It gives an alternate reason for not recommending them at first. It also explains how to put on and take them off. And it gives several reasons for wearing them.

One of the reasons given for wearing them is that other countries who required them seemed to have been able to deal with the virus better.

But I stand by my belief that refusing to wear a mask is often a political act.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:28 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
There ought to at least be an effort to produce enough "high quality filtering PPE" for all of us. Effectively taking N95 masks off the market is not helping.
That's as may be.

I guess it just saddens me how very pervasive the mentality seems to be in America, that if it does not directly benefit ME right now, then I'm not gonna do it! This is a situation where if everyone tried, made even a little effort, and covered their face and kept some distance, we could ALL be much safer. But the idea that I would do things that mainly benefit others and others would do things that mainly benefit me, is such a completely foreign concept to Americans? I guess?

And all the complaints people have...whatever happened to American ingenuity and problem solving? I didn't want elastic around my ears, so I hand-stitched ribbons I had to form the ear-loops on the mask I made, it's much more comfortable. I didn't want a material like t-shirt fabric that would cling to my mouth, so I used a stiffer fabric, I sacrificed a shirt I would have donated to Goodwill. I didn't want my glasses fogging up, so I sewed a pipe-cleaner into the top edge, to form around the contours of my nose and face, and it works!

If I know, that in the grocery store, if everyone wore a mask and if everyone stayed 6 feet apart, we'll all be fairly safe from catching this virus, not just from sneezes and coughs, but exhaled breath and talking and just all of the moisture laden air coming out of a person... I am going to participate. I won't say, "Well, I can't make everyone do it, so I won't either." I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Regarding the production of proper PPE...that's become a whole political thing, too. But I have no control over the bidding wars states are having to deal with, or the federal gov snatching up shipments, profiteering or regulatory red tape or...any of that. I won't point to something over which I have no control, as an excuse to NOT do the thing over which I do have some control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates