Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 01:54 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone posting in this thread has read Orwell's 1984?

Old 05-14-2020, 02:20 PM

8,066 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Citizens of Oceania have always worn masks. Although they do tend to hide facecrime.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
You just like to argue, I get that. And so what the articles are over a month ago. If that's the case, nothing has changed, right? I understand about the masks, I have to use one at work. You're just insinuating that you know everything and look down on people that does not agree on your chain of thought. It is too bad that you are very argumentative.
What's too bad is people who, when faced with the facts, would prefer to dig in their heels to not wear a mask because they are confused by what the scientists, and no doubt a lot of self-proclaimed experts, have been saying about the benefit of doing so. Even when it is explained to them about the difference between wearing a mask to protect ones own health and wearing one to curb the spread of virus particles they would prefer their stubborn, baseless contentions.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What's too bad is people who, when faced with the facts, would prefer to dig in their heels to not wear a mask because they are confused by what the scientists, and no doubt a lot of self-proclaimed experts, have been saying about the benefit of doing so. Even when it is explained to them about the difference between wearing a mask to protect ones own health and wearing one to curb the spread of virus particles they would prefer their stubborn, baseless contentions.
I think many people have been influenced by FOX's coverage of the pandemic, which has downplayed it. And, then there is Trump's refusal to recognize his responsibilities to manage this crisis and his disinterest in wearing a mask or distancing, himself. I think he is distancing now, but earlier he did not.

I view this refusal as a political act, often presented as an act of patriotism.

This basic thing which is easy to do, should be something that people want to do to protect their loved ones, and also themselves. To me it is like the anti vaxxers. They do not want to vaccinate, but rely on the herd protection of others who do vaccinate. In many cases, I regard this as selfishness, but I suppose the never maskers regard their refusal as noble or principled.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think many people have been influenced by FOX's coverage of the pandemic, which has downplayed it. And, then there is Trump's refusal to recognize his responsibilities to manage this crisis and his disinterest in wearing a mask or distancing, himself. I think he is distancing now, but earlier he did not.

I view this refusal as a political act, often presented as an act of patriotism.

This basic thing which is easy to do, should be something that people want to do to protect their loved ones, and also themselves. To me it is like the anti vaxxers. They do not want to vaccinate, but rely on the herd protection of others who do vaccinate. In many cases, I regard this as selfishness, but I suppose the never maskers regard their refusal as noble or principled.
No, we don’t. It’s NOT easy! I would rather try to climb Mt. Everest, so it’s in fact quite impossible. If it’s easy for you, go for it! It’s apolitical to me, I can’t breathe whatsoever in a mask. Having cloth touch my nose and mouth and cover up any fresh supply of oxygen doesn’t allow me to breathe. I start hyperventilating, gag, and then can’t breathe at all. It’s physically not possible for me and I’m not sacrificing my oxygen supply and life to maybe save yours - but since I don’t have the virus, and have just stayed home, I’d be wearing it for nothing anyway. Not going to happen. I am sick and tired of people acting like “it’s no big deal” when I think it’s the biggest deal there is. If you can’t breathe, you can’t survive, so yeah that’s a pretty big deal.

Politically, I’m excited whenever I see people not wearing masks because I know it means they’re not drinking the Kool Aid. If you’re sick, stay home. If you’re at risk, stay home. But Fox News hasn’t “downplayed” the virus at all! They’ve actually overreported it just less so than CNN, which relies on fear mongering. The mortality rate is pathetically tiny, especially among healthy people, and absolutely no reason to lock down anything. It has been used for political purposes to empower these moron liberal governors who have abused our Constitution and their own powers. They’re little tyrants all of them and should be removed from office.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I think the best bumper sticker I've seen recently was "Make 1984 fiction again"

That was post election, pre-Corona.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:17 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
I think people just aren't used to them yet and also are inexperienced at finding a reasonably comfortable mask. Outside of the medical and dental professions, most of us are simply not used to it, so it will take some time.

I'm now on day 3 of mask wearing and my ears hurt really bad. I expect to find a better mask that doesn't have such horrible ear loops, but I've already found a way to at least get my eyeglasses to stay on despite the mask ear loops being very slippery. Mask-wearing is a learning curve for most of us.

In case this is helpful to any of you, this does work even when wearing a mask with ear loops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBnVVkaPp4

Old 05-14-2020, 05:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I doubt you could leave fast enough from an unexpected explosive cough or sneeze. The mask might provide limited help in such a case. But why aren’t you interested in protecting others? Why aren’t you interested in being a good citizen?
Oh dear. As I already explained, I don't need the WHO or the government, or anyone on a forum who likes to use emotions as an attack - "being a good citizen", as if a mask makes you a good citizen - (I don't fall for that kind of propaganda, you'll have to try that on someone else), to tell me how to be considerate of others if I sneeze or cough. I already cover my face when I cough or sneeze. My mom told me how to do that when I was a little child. I don't need to wear a mask, like someone wears a string on their finger, to remind me to do that.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I am sick and tired of people acting like “it’s no big deal” when I think it’s the biggest deal there is. If you can’t breathe, you can’t survive, so yeah that’s a pretty big deal.
Not trying to downplay your difficulty, but I hope you do realize that it's more psychological than physical. Masks are porous, it's why they aren't 100% effective, and also why you are highly unlikely to not survive wearing one. I'm not saying you should wear one if they make you that uncomfortable and prone to panic, but the idea that you might die from wearing one is probably something you should reconsider.
https://www.health.com/condition/inf...ase-co2-levels

Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not trying to downplay your difficulty, but I hope you do realize that it's more psychological than physical. Masks are porous, it's why they aren't 100% effective, and also why you are highly unlikely to not survive wearing one. I'm not saying you should wear one if they make you that uncomfortable and prone to panic, but the idea that you might die from wearing one is probably something you should reconsider.
https://www.health.com/condition/inf...ase-co2-levels
I didn’t say I would die, but you’re also wrong to assume that serious complications can’t arise. They can and they do. A buildup of CO2 causes lethargy in people who have trouble wearing masks, and some people simply can’t wear them. I don’t know what to tell you because if you haven’t experienced it, I guess you can’t get it. I feel the same way about anyone wearing a mask, though, you seem like aliens to me as I’m baffled - and super impressed - you can find a way to breathe through two layers of cloth. I can breathe if I put my mouth into a T-shirt for instance, because it vents to the bottom and is a large area of space. I can’t breathe for more than, oh, maybe 5-10 minutes under the covers completely. But that’s still better than a mask. The cloth almost totally blocks oxygen supply - to say that it lets through tiny little virus particles (which is true) so therefore I should get enough oxygen is a logical fallacy. I need a lot more oxygen to breathe than I’d need virus particles to become sick.

It’s not a psychological issue, but I realize everyone loves to say that. I have no issues with panic attacks, any anxiety at all, and when I’m about to put on a mask it doesn’t make me anxious or nervous. Every time I’m thinking in my head, “Alright it should be fine, lots of people wear them, so it’s theoretically possible.” Every single time and I’m at 15+ now I will just start to gag and retch at the hot, stale air that builds up within the mask immediately. I wouldn’t have issues if it vented to the sides of my face but they keep saying “oh it has to touch your nose and mouth and be tight to your face.” Well no, then, that is impossible for me. The oxygen needs a clear path to enter my airways and two layers of cloth isn’t getting it done. That’s a physical problem - if you take a mask and don’t put it on, but just hold the cloth up to your mouth, you’re telling me you can breathe through that?!! Must be insanely low oxygen needed, I guess. I can’t at all, I can barely get 3 breaths that feel very labored before it makes me lightheaded. The surgical masks are much better, much easier to breathe through that material but still I couldn’t last for long without struggling to breathe.

Bottom line I don’t care about this virus or any social convention or any other nonsense enough to struggle to breathe or “try harder” to wear a mask. It’s not going to happen, and for many other people they feel the same. We aren’t wearing masks, so give it up. You can be a good little sheep all you want and that’s totally fine, I respect your right, but I don’t respect being told to wear a mask if I want to spend my money at your business. I’ll take a hard pass and shop elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates